Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Looking forward to some Rockwood

Options

Comments

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options

You think you are in the boonies! Ha! I sir am in the vast wasteland with the nearest Rockwood a 2 hour drive away. 

When I searched your city, there's an Ace about 10 miles away in Wrens that has ordered Rockwood before.  Not sure if they keep it in stock.

LKNEgg said:

I asked and looked at local ace store in Cornelius, nc and they didn't know anything about RW.

If that's outside of Charlotte, they should be able to order it.  Blackhawk Ace Hardware keeps it in stock.

I haven't figured out where the "line" is in NC.  Somewhere north and east of Charlotte they switch to a different warehouses.  Just ask you local Ace if they get restocked by the Gainesville, GA warehouse.  If they do, you're good to go.

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    I really like FOGO, but I think you'll find RW even more neutral.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,087
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Go away guys. Try something else. FOGO Wicked, KBB, anything else. I am a worrier and I only have 9 bags of RW left. I am concerned all you guys will burn all the Missouri hardwood there is!

I love RW and the price is reasonable. If you nuts keep buying it the price will only go up.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    @Jeepster47 @Ozzie_Isaac i seea father son conspiracy here...
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    edited February 2015
    Options

@Jeepster47 @Ozzie_Isaac i seea father son conspiracy here...

No conspiracy. Also don't let @Jeepster47 know I have any. He will come snooping around here.

I will have to con my buddy with family in St. Louis to bring some more back!

(btw, 1st rule of conspiracy is to deny the conspiracy ;) )
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    @Ozzie_Isaac he told me you "borrowed" lump from him. not sure how you return that? :-?
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    edited February 2015
    Options

@Ozzie_Isaac he told me you "borrowed" lump from him. not sure how you return that? :-?

Ha! If thats what he thinks I better start bagging the ash to return!

I have been burning all his RO he stocked up on before he got RW. I thought I was doing him a favor.
  • johnkitchens
    Options

When I searched your city, there's an Ace about 10 miles away in Wrens that has ordered Rockwood before.  Not sure if they keep it in stock.

LKNEgg said:

I asked and looked at local ace store in Cornelius, nc and they didn't know anything about RW.

I know the owner Jay there. I will call him in the morning and ask him if he has any in stock. If not Firecraft here I come! 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • hoosieregged
    Options

Closest to me is 1hr and 45 minutes away.  Might have to get SWMBO to take a road trip

Hamilton, IN****1LBGE and a MiniMax
  • Scottborasjr
    Options
    I got my Rockwood which isn't available locally about a week ago. Thawed a turkey and going to throw that on tomorrow. I typically like the smoke flavor of the Royal Oak but I would love to get a cook or two more out of the bag. 
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • piney
    piney Posts: 1,478
    Options
    SGH said:

Brother Tar, you will love the RW. It is as neutral as I have found. No question of it.

piney said:

Matt we need to get together and do a Rockwood buy. Let me know how you like it and we will try to get something going, there other eggheads in the Triad that might be interested.

Brother Piney, the next time you bring that big rig through the Biloxi area, give me a shout. I will hook you up with some RW and a couple of pallets of white oak. Free of charge my friend. You may be able to talk me out of a pallet of southern pecan as well.
    I'm going to hold you to it! I go back to Dr. this week hope he turns me loose to drive in a couple weeks.
    Lenoir, N.C.
  • AUCE
    AUCE Posts: 890
    Options
    I bought 200# from my local ace which hadn't stocked it in the past..now he is. Love it..especially with wood chunks..you get the chunk flavor vs a combination of chunk.and lump.

I would much rather be able to say I was glad I did than wished I had........

XL owner and purveyor of pallette perfection...

Homosassa....Mecca of Florida

• jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    The Rockwood even sounds better when you are dumping it in the egg!
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • MaskedMarvel
    Options
    Damien in greensboro is IN for Rockwood buy. Lemme know!! A pallet of oak and pecan sounds tasty, too...
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Options

piney said:

piney said:

Be nice to have it today as I am working from home due to the massive snow storm (insert scarcasim).  

I know what you are talking about we got about 1in of ice and snow and the whole county is shut down. I just talked to a friend in Asheboro and she said it was the same there.
    Yeah, we got a lot of sleet last night, which makes the roads really slick.  They did treat the roads, however what melted a little froze.  Since I drive a long distance to work (Mebane), I decided to just stay home and work.  
    I have trucks that load out of Altamahaw and surrounding areas almost everyday but today everything is quiet....Shut down I'm guessing.
    I'll let you know soon how well I like it.  Wouldn't mind have a nice stash and be good on lump for a while.  

I will have to look up to see who it was that organized the original one.  Maybe they'd be interested in doing again.  
    I would love to get in on a RW group buy. I would be in for 15 bags or so. I was in on the last one and it worked out great. 
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Hi54putty said:

piney said:

piney said:

Be nice to have it today as I am working from home due to the massive snow storm (insert scarcasim).  

I know what you are talking about we got about 1in of ice and snow and the whole county is shut down. I just talked to a friend in Asheboro and she said it was the same there.
    Yeah, we got a lot of sleet last night, which makes the roads really slick.  They did treat the roads, however what melted a little froze.  Since I drive a long distance to work (Mebane), I decided to just stay home and work.  
    I have trucks that load out of Altamahaw and surrounding areas almost everyday but today everything is quiet....Shut down I'm guessing.
    I'll let you know soon how well I like it.  Wouldn't mind have a nice stash and be good on lump for a while.  

I will have to look up to see who it was that organized the original one.  Maybe they'd be interested in doing again.  
    I would love to get in on a RW group buy. I would be in for 15 bags or so. I was in on the last one and it worked out great. 
    Who orgainized that buy @Hi54putty?
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Options

Hi54putty said:

piney said:

piney said:

Who orgainized that buy @Hi54putty?
    Don't recall but I am pretty sure he was in Charlotte. I don't have anywhere a pallet can be delivered (commercial dock) but that is really all we need to organize one. I'm sure I could get plenty of people to buy the bags, maybe 2 pallets. 
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options

Guys, sorry hate to burst your bubble, but we don't really do those anymore--especially this time of year.  Maybe in the off-season if we have some damaged pallets, but everything in stock and to be produced is spoken for through August.  The days when I would post a picture of a warehouse for of charcoal are long gone--it's now a cross dock.  The truck comes in from the plant, and the pallets go into about dozen different trucks the same or day after.  Even worse news, there's 8-10 inches of snow on the ground at the plant @ 15F.  We were supposed to have a truckload coming in tomorrow that's now rescheduled for next Wednesday--so two weeks into the busy season, we're already a week behind.  :(

• Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    Have you guys no shame?  Suppose next you'll show up at a Jenny Craig weight loss program and talk about your latest cooks.  Geez ...

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• tarheelmatt
    Options

Guys, sorry hate to burst your bubble, but we don't really do those anymore--especially this time of year.  Maybe in the off-season if we have some damaged pallets, but everything in stock and to be produced is spoken for through August.  The days when I would post a picture of a warehouse for of charcoal are long gone--it's now a cross dock.  The truck comes in from the plant, and the pallets go into about dozen different trucks the same or day after.  Even worse news, there's 8-10 inches of snow on the ground at the plant @ 15F.  We were supposed to have a truckload coming in tomorrow that's now rescheduled for next Wednesday--so two weeks into the busy season, we're already a week behind.  :(

Well, darn... Firecraft it is then!  Hopefully get mine today, but may not due to the winter weather.  
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options

.... we're already a week behind.  :(

See! You guys ruined it.

I hear Kingsford Blue Bags are plentiful. You guys should try those. They are totally smoke nuetral. Its like they are made of frozen chunks of alpine fresh air. Thats why the bags are blue.
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    @stlcharcoal not a bad problem to have if you can ramp up. Well except the snow.
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options

.... we're already a week behind.  :(

See! You guys ruined it.

I hear Kingsford Blue Bags are plentiful. You guys should try those. They are totally smoke nuetral. Its like they are made of frozen chunks of alpine fresh air. Thats why the bags are blue.
    Oh yes, and if you use Royal Oak you save a ton of money on smoke wood ... don't need it.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options
    all you guys complaining - you think you have problems - I converted my diesel to run on Rockwood and now I have trouble out on the road trying to find "Rockwood filling stations!" - it's a b*tch!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    edited February 2015
    Options
    @RRP try KBB. Its gets excellent miles per pound.
  • Mross
    Mross Posts: 338
    Options
    I am glad I got my pallet of RW last year then. STL if you start shipping pallets to individuals again please let us know.
    Duncan, SC
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    Screw milk and bread, I need to find some more Rockwood!
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    I, too, have ordered some RW (100 lbs) and it is due to be delivered here today!
    Pretty good service all the way out here to the Left Coast.
    Looking forward to trying it.
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • tarheelmatt
    Options
    My shipment is at the house right meow!  Wow, two day ship!  
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Options
    NICE, I just got mine from Firecraft quickly too  (even though peach chunks are backordered) and bags in great shape.

On work travel this week until late Thurs, but should have time on Friday to try Rockwood for first time.  Eager to compare.
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is”