Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Southern Ontario pricing

Options
I just joined the forum and was looking to purchase a large Big Green Egg. Can anyone local (just north of the GTA) recommend a dealer that offers great pricing. I have looked around but haven't found anything great.

Thanks,

Budge

Comments

• BigWader
    BigWader Posts: 673
    Options
    Artisan kitchens in Buffalo. I have no personal experience with them but their pricing even with exchange rate smokes GTA dealers.

My large came from Healthy Butcher and it added up fast but I believe he gave a fair and okay price for a package

Toronto, Canada

Large BGE, Small BGE

• BigWader
    Options
    Oh by the way. Welcome and don't wait for ever. You will love the versatility and taste of food cooked on it

Toronto, Canada

Large BGE, Small BGE

• Skiddymarker
    Options
    Canuck pricing sucks. Check out some local dealers then maybe plan a trip to the States. The US pricing is hard to beat. It would appear warranty claims can be made through the selling dealer or any US dealer if you buy in the States, obviously the Canadian Distributor can't honour a US sale. 

Welcome aboard and get on with it. 

BTW - if you purchase a US egg, it will come in two boxes. Have the dealer make an invoice out for the total price made up of two components. This will keep the value of each box under the magic $800 duty/tax free exemption after 48 hours out of country, assuming you are not alone on this shopping trip.  
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Tinyfish
    Tinyfish Posts: 1,755
    Options
    Bought an XL just before Christmas best price was from Dickson BBQ centre on Avenue Rd Toronto. I called all the dealers in what seemed like all of Ontario and Buffalo. Talk to Robert at Dickson's he will work with you. Ask about getting an Eggfest price now instead of waiting.
  • grey_bri
    Options
    Go down Bloomington sideroad towards Uxbridge and on north side of you will see Cobra Metal. Mine came from there and they seem pretty decent
    Owen Sound On. For now 1large 2mini's 1exl and 1 6burner Vermont Casting
  • BigWader
    Options
    @tinyfish wow really. I find that surprising. They quoted just shy of $1000 for a small set up or $760 for MM both plus tax.

I saw SBGE in Buffalo for $559. Even with tax and exchange that is only about $700. That isn't even trying to negotiate. The large in Buffalo is $850 US

Toronto, Canada

Large BGE, Small BGE

• Tinyfish
    Options
    @BigWader I only know pricing for the XL's. In Buffalo by the time I factored in exchange, their tax (only one store said he had a way to avoid me paying their tax) our tax crossing back to Canada, gas and not having Canadian warranty always going back to Buffalo for warranty the $50-80 saving was not worth it. With the current exchange it might be cheaper here now.

I just bought a Joe Jr and the price is a fair bit cheaper here then Ace Hardware in Buffalo.
  • bweekes
    bweekes Posts: 725
    Options
    Tinyfish said:

@BigWader I only know pricing for the XL's. In Buffalo by the time I factored in exchange, their tax (only one store said he had a way to avoid me paying their tax) our tax crossing back to Canada, gas and not having Canadian warranty always going back to Buffalo for warranty the $50-80 saving was not worth it. With the current exchange it might be cheaper here now.

I just bought a Joe Jr and the price is a fair bit cheaper here then Ace Hardware in Buffalo.

+1 on the FX making it less attractive to buy south of the border right now. I might take my chances w/ Mario at the Healthy Butcher (bought my XL there), or Dickson's BBQ. Both those guys will give you better pricing than Ontario Gas BBQ. 
    Ajax, ON Canada
    (XL BGE, MED BGE, La Caja China #2, and the wife's Napoleon gasser)
  • Greeno55
    Greeno55 Posts: 635
    Options
    I recently bought a MiniMax from Dickson's in Toronto. Pretty standard pricing, but fantastic service. I also like to support them for bang up job they do woth their Eggfest. Another option if you're north of the city and don't want to head south of the 401 is Ontario Gas BBQ in Vaughan. I've had some pretty mixed customer service issues, but often ship there for accessories and lump while heading up hwy 400. Yes US prices are better, but after factoring time, gas, brutal exchange at the moment, warranty and convenience, shopping here at home may be more worthwhile.
    LBGE (2012), MiniMax (2014), and too many Eggcessories to list.  - Sudbury, Ontario
  • Budge
    Budge Posts: 4
    Options
    Thanks for the quick replies. My preference is to buy within the GTA. While I have shopped in the US and saved considerable in the past (travel trailer), times are different as the exchange rate is not favourable. Plus I like the Canadian warranty.

My local dealer puts together the following package: egg, nest, composite shelves, plate setter, ash tool, grill gripper, charcoal starter, 20lb charcoal.

XL $1899.99 plus tax (Retail $2203.92)
    Large $1499.00 plus tax (Retail $1710.92)

I don't want the side shelves so the price on a large is $1320 plus tax. I am ready to purchase and want to support our local economy but I am looking for a fair price. Prices seem to vary a lot so wanted to check in with others to see if the pricing is reasonable.

Thanks,
    Budge
  • BigWader
    Options
    Call Mario at Healthy Butcher. He did better than that on my large (but that was almost three years ago). I got the nest handler plus 2 more bags of lump for about $100 more. Wife got it all for my 40th. I got a great one there.

Toronto, Canada

Large BGE, Small BGE

• bweekes
    Options
    BigWader said:

Call Mario at Healthy Butcher. He did better than that on my large (but that was almost three years ago). I got the nest handler plus 2 more bags of lump for about $100 more. Wife got it all for my 40th. I got a great one there.

+1 Don't want to get in to price details, but Mario will definitely do better. 
    Ajax, ON Canada
  • GlennM
    GlennM Posts: 1,365
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I couldn't find a deal on my Large but years later I forgot about it. Where did you guys get your K'jr's? I'm jonsing for one right now. Haven't seen a Mini Max here in my area yet but I like the package you get with a jr
    In the bush just East of Cambridge,Ontario 
  • BigWader
    Options
    Ontario Gas BBQ, BBQs Galore both carry the Joe Jr.  The price online is the same $569.  I would like to get a smaller BGE, but that extra $$$ would buy some nice steaks so the Joe Jr. looks like a great deal (includes the indirect piece, etc.)

Toronto, Canada

Large BGE, Small BGE

• Tinyfish
    Options
    @GlennM I just bought a Joe Jr. Had no luck getting a better price, no dealer would drop a cent off the price. The best I could do from BBQ Galore was get a free bag of charcoal, but I wanted black and they only had red. I ended up buying from Ontario Gas BBQ, they had black but they were so cheap and would not throw in a bag of charcoal because they do so much business...thats why I told them I bought my XL elsewhere so their cost of $5 for charcoal cost them a $1500 sale plus all my accessories I buy elsewhere...looks good on them.
  • bweekes
    Options
    Tinyfish said:

@GlennM I just bought a Joe Jr. Had no luck getting a better price, no dealer would drop a cent off the price. The best I could do from BBQ Galore was get a free bag of charcoal, but I wanted black and they only had red. I ended up buying from Ontario Gas BBQ, they had black but they were so cheap and would not throw in a bag of charcoal because they do so much business...thats why I told them I bought my XL elsewhere so their cost of $5 for charcoal cost them a $1500 sale plus all my accessories I buy elsewhere...looks good on them.

OGB is the WORST. They will never drop their price, even marginally, to acknowledge a repeat or valued customer. I have referred them so much business over the years... and nothing in return. Duff just doesn't care, and there is no element of customer service there. I bought my XL from Mario at the Healthy Butcher, and happy I did. My Joe Jr. was from Classic Fireplace in Etobicoke. I told them I didn't need the ash tool and grid gripper, and they charged me $499+HST. I worry about their after sales service though, so not sure I would recommend them. My KJ Jr. cracked and they didn't deal with KJ for me - I had to contact them directly to get a replacement. Sometimes you pay for what you get.  
    Ajax, ON Canada
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
     bweekes…Here in the US we also go direct to KJ for replacement parts.
    So far they have been great to deal with. My local BGE is also fantastic for repair issues.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • bweekes
    Options
    Photo Egg said:

bweekes…Here in the US we also go direct to KJ for replacement parts.

So far they have been great to deal with. My local BGE is also fantastic for repair issues.
    Yep KJ mothership is top notch for sure. So is BGE from my experience, though I haven't really had any major issues with my eggs. 
    Ajax, ON Canada
  • GlennM
    GlennM Posts: 1,365
    Options
    Do you guys like the Jr?  I may be able to get one locally for $499 cdn$
    In the bush just East of Cambridge,Ontario 
  • hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    Options
    I only have 1 local dealer in the whole city of Winnipeg. It sucks. They are dumber than a bag of hammers when it comes to the BGE. They are primarily a fireplace shop. When I first walked in I knew more than the guy selling on the floor. After service I assume would be horrible based on upfront salesmanship and hearing a a few conversations with customers I had when I was there.
    @skiddymarker is right, wait and buy stateside.
    I got my whole rig in North Dakota and saved about $700 over the Canadian price. I go to North Dakota for weekends about 2-3 times a year so if I ever do have an issue I can get it taken care of then.
  • Little Steven
    Options

My butcher in Orangeville got me some excellent pricing.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Skiddymarker
    Options
    @Budge, other than the KJ, Primo is also available. On the left coast oval larges are within $100 (10%) of the US price - I'm surprised Americans aren't coming north to buy based on the current exchange rate. Ovals are made in USA so no import duty. KJ will have 8% duty and sales tax added (HST or GST+ PST) depending on where you live. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • bosco0633
    Options
    There is a dealer for BGE in Hamilton Called Chadwicks.  I don't own BGE so I am not sure about pricing.  

I have purchased all of my KJ from BBQ galore in Burlington.  They have always taken great care of me.  OGB I find to be snobs.  They have great inventory but I find their staff to be arrogant.  

Only because KJ was brought up, I will say that the Jr. has become my go to cooker.  It is small enough to handle appetizers, sear steaks, and cook for just my family of four.  It heats quickly and is a wonderful little Kamado.

I thought I saw mini max at OGB last time that I went out there.  I could be wrong, but I am almost positive that they had one on display.
  • CanadaAndy
    Options
    Not sure if you've pulled the trigger yet, but if you're near Burlington/Hamilton, give Nick @ Lakeshore Living a call. He has packages put together with a "starter Kit" and they are great. I grabbed a Medium with a nest, charcoal, various tools & plate setter and he took the time to give me advice & tips to maintain it.