Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Small BGE on CL for $350?

Options
Sorry if this is repetitive I did a search and couldn't find this question answered exactly. I've decided to ditch my $400 side burner in lieu of a second egg. A small should fit the cut out in my counter. I've found two on Craig's list for $350 in my area. One 2 and one 4 years old. Both include nest and side tables (not needed) and a cover. Both claim to be in "great shape" with no rust, no cracks etc. but also no warranty. $529 new for just the small egg at my local dealer. Thoughts or opinions?

Thanks as always.
Fish, Hunt, Cook....anything else?

1LBGE, 1MMBGE, somewhere near Athens GA

Comments

• Bustersdad
    Options
    Seems a bit high to me, got my 3 year old Small on CL for $200.  For the additional $180 I would buy the new with Warranty.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options

I think it's too high but here's a web site link that may help you out:

http://www.bubbatim.com/Green_Book.php  Personally I think the estimating in the prior link is too high as the warranty is the long-term value proposition.  I would look at around 50% of new and then adjust based on condition. That said, if you can wait for an eggfest, I picked up a SBGE (never cooked on) with nest, charcoal and starters for $550.  Good luck-

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    Did a quick search on the internet for component prices for the large ... had to use three different sites, so the percents could be off a little.  The items in blue should be comparable on the small ... the ceramic cap and daisy wheel are the same size and costs for both eggs.  No shipping cost in the calcs:

Base ............. 48%
    Dome ............ 25%
    Fire box ........ 16%
    Fire ring ........ 13%
    Hinge band ....14%
    Grate ...............2
    %
    Grill .................7%

Ceramic cap ....4%
    Daisy wheel .....5%

Total ..............134%

You're CL savings is about 34% ... one cracked base and you've lost money ... a cracked dome or a cracked firebox and fire ring will eat up most of your savings.  Can't remember is there is a warranty on replacement parts either.  Maybe one of the dealers can check my numbers and comment on the replacement part warrenty.

One outcome I didn't expect was the relatively small 34% overage on building an egg via parts.  Usually building something through parts is multiple times the original cost.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    Options
    I picked up a new small a few months ago for $299. I don't think I'd be able to find another one for that price again. If you don't need the nest, cover, and side tables why not sell them? It would lower the initial price you end up paying for the egg. I've been looking for used side tables and nest up here in MN for the small egg. Maybe someone is in the same spot like I'm in your way
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    Price seems like wishful thinking on the seller's part! You might keep looking in case the Maxi-Mini causes small owners to ditch their small. Moving into spring and more MM in the hands of dealers might shake out more smalls and mini's as well. As they say if you don't catch this streetcar - there will be another along shortly! 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,102
    Options
    @WeberWho? great deal! If I ran across that I would hope on it!
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    @WeberWho? great deal! If I ran across that I would hope on it!
    hope? Sounds like a bunny rabbit with a lisp!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Crimsongator
    Options
    RRP said:

Price seems like wishful thinking on the seller's part! You might keep looking in case the Maxi-Mini causes small owners to ditch their small. Moving into spring and more MM in the hands of dealers might shake out more smalls and mini's as well. As they say if you don't catch this streetcar - there will be another along shortly! 

FYI, my mini max caused me to ditch my small. I listed on CL for $400 and it sold for $350 in about a week. Of course, mine holds celebrity status  :-)
  • SmyrnaGA
    SmyrnaGA Posts: 438
    Options
    $350?  Wow, I should list my small on CL!!  SWMBO ordered me to sell it after I picked up the KJ Jr. last year, It's currently hidden under my stockpile of charcoal...  ;)

Large BGE, Small BGE, KJ Jr, and a Cracked Vision Kub.

in Smyrna GA.