Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Steaks on BGE vs sous-vide

Options
Tixunau
Tixunau Posts: 71
edited February 2015 in EggHead Forum

I’ve made steak sous-vide 3 times already and each time, I was a little disappointed. Used prime ribs at about 1 inch thick, sv at 135 for 90 minutes with some butter and followed by a quick sear on a hot pan. Only once I used the egg to sear which taste a little better but still not the same as doing it on the BGE from start to finish. What I also noticed is that the core temp seems to still be ‘cold’ in comparison of one done on the egg.  I have done many steaks on the BGE using the reverse sear method with awesome results but have yet matches that satisfaction with the sv.

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /> 

For those who does sv steaks, what are your thoughts? Or it is just me that is somehow addicted to the smoky flavour from a steak cooked on the BGE. Sv is awesome to get the perfect temp but it seems like I can get pass the ‘boiled’ flavour of it.  Thought?

Cheers!

Comments

• Cnommensen
    Options
    I have been thinking the same. I have had the feeling that the intermuscular fat renders better when made on the egg giving more flavour to the meat. One other thing, according to my poly-science app are you taking it from the bath a little early, with circulation are you close to 100min. It might give another 1-2 degree in the core.
  • ShadowNick
    Options
    I'd drop the butter from the SV bag, don't forget to pat your steak dry after removing from the bag, paint on melted butter or beef tallow and seasonings right before the sear, get your coals to nuclear, and sear as close to the coals as possible for 45-60 seconds( within 1 inch of coals).  Thats how I do mine and turns our pretty good every time.
    Remember there is no need to rest meat cooking it sous vide either, that might be contributing to the center feeling cold because the second you remove it from the water, it starts losing heat.

Also, here is a great article on steak sous-vide:
    http://www.seriouseats.com/2010/03/how-to-sous-vide-steak.html

Bottom line, if you like them better on the egg, keep doing them on the egg.  So far my favorite meal in the SV has been pork tenderloin at 136.   Amazing.
    Pentwater, MI
  • scooter759
    Options
    If I SV I finish with cast iron sear. If I egg its reverse sear. IMO reverse sear wins every time.
    Extra Large, 2 Large, Medium, Mini Max, Weber Summit gasser, Weber Q. Mankato, MN
  • BigWader
    BigWader Posts: 673
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Agree to lose the butter in SV bag. Also think you need to re-season from SV to sear.

Interesting observation though. I have been doing more SV lately due to cold and timing but also feel like my egg steaks aren't always at my desired temp consistently

Toronto, Canada

Large BGE, Small BGE

• lwrehm
    lwrehm Posts: 381
    Options
    Back when we had the Baking Steel group buy here on the forum i picked one up but so far I have not been a fan for pizza, so last time we had steak I thought WTF I'm going to try it.   Had some 1.5" thick Ribeyes from Costco, sous vide for 4 hours at 125, setup the Egg with the Steel at 550, pulled the steak from the bags and dried with paper towel, rubbed them down with some canola oil and salt, hit the Steel for about 60 seconds/side...Best Steak I have ever made!
  • Supercilious_In_5280
    Options
    I've found sv of rib eyes and strips to be less than ideal. I go at 128 and only for less than 2 hrs bc of the nasties that can form over 4 hrs. And the fatty parts are never as good as when cooked on the egg. However I think sv can't be beat for tenderloin and quick sear in a pan. Just guessing I like these bc of lack of fat. Maybe I'll go longer next time like lerehm when I next do rib eyes.
  • bweekes
    bweekes Posts: 725
    Options
    Ok here we go. This topic/concern is familiar to me as I've shared the same frustration with SV ribeyes. Let me start by saying that SV really shines with tougher leaner cuts of meat (and really really shines w/ chicken and vegetables, as opposed to beef - again with the exception of tougher cuts). Before I provide a potential solution, I'll provision it by saying that I've gone back to cooking ribeyes reverse sear almost exclusively - I just prefer the texture and taste over SV. You might try a hybrid SV/reverse sear approach...  Prep the bath at 131.4F. Meanwhile, give the steak 20 minutes on the egg at 235 (if you like smoke, now is the time). Remove from the egg, seal and drop in the bath for 90 minutes. While you're patting dry the steak and re-seasoning, let the egg rip. I like to sear on my cast iron griddle, but low over the fire on the stock grate works too. Let me be the first to acknowledge that it's a lot of work, and even I have reverted back to reverse sear. BUT - if you are determined to produce a kick-a** product incorporating SV, you might want to give this a shot.  
    Ajax, ON Canada
    (XL BGE, MED BGE, La Caja China #2, and the wife's Napoleon gasser)
  • allsid
    allsid Posts: 492
    Options
    Try not to re-hash what has already been said here, but I also do not prefer the more fat rich cuts of beef unless they are done for extended periods of time.  I have not done a ribeye but have done short ribs for 70+ hours.  Tender, yes but rendered no.  I egg the heck out of them direct upon completion because I really do not care for beef fat all that much.

I will suggest trying a London Broil sous vide at 132 or so for 24 hours.  I do not know if you need this step, but I ice bathed it for 1 hour and then refrigerated for 4.  Prior to hard searing direct, I re-heated in the SV at 120.  Then heavily seasoned and seared direct.  Crust, flavor, and the entire package was spot on.  No boiled, week, anemic flavor.

Amazing, leaning toward life changing.  Give it a shot-  
    Proud resident of Missoula, MT
    https://www.facebook.com/GrillingMontana
    http://grillingmontana.com
    https://instagram.com/grillingmontana

Check out my book on Kamado cooking called Exclusively Kamado:
    http://bit.ly/kamadobook