Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New to BGE

Options
I just purchased an XL BGE, and wanted to know if I paid to much....1200 for egg, 2 bags of charcoal, nest, plate setter, ash tool, grill gripper and starter with Webers large chimney... prices are all over the place where I live. They also deliver and set things up for you.

Additionnaly, now that I've ordered it I'm wondering if it's to big, I generally only cook for 3-4 people. We do have some parties with up to 30 people, but my UDS seems to handle that just fine.

I guess that I just don't really know if buying the egg was the right thing to do. At first I was looking for Grill Dome then discovered the lack of support for the product locally, so I purched the egg. I'm replacing a webber 22 inch , which is the same great dimension.can anyone tell me if it's possible to use a chuckle basket inside the BGE, or the Weber charcoal holders, as this would allow me to have smaller fires and help set up a two zone system.

Thanks everyone for the help
XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

Comments

• THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    Start here:

saluki2007 Posts: 767
    Here is a good write up another egger did that helped me out when I first started.  http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1161232/bge-newbie-quickstart-guide#latest
    Large BGE
    Morton, IL
    New Albany, Ohio 

• THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options

BTW, it was the right thing to do. You will soon wonder why you didn't buy it sooner! 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• yellowdogbbq
    yellowdogbbq Posts: 389
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Congrats on the new egg!  Depends on the area of the country you are in as far as what they sell for but sounds like you got a great deal.  An XL is big but you'll love the extra room and they do sell a fire reducing ring I believe.  Have fun and enjoy, your going to love it and don't worry about it being too big your second egg will be smaller and perfect for the smaller cooks.
  • ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,532
    Options
    Thanks for replying so quickly.

• hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options
    Welcome

Once you get it set up... start posting pics of your cooks :)
  • shucker
    shucker Posts: 483
    Options
    sounds like a fair price to me.  buy a lump reducer for your smaller cooks.  congrats on the XL, there are many times I wish I had an XL as opposed to a Large.  Ribs fit so much better on the XL and the extra square footage is nice for larger cooks.  Ive never cooked on an XL but by all accounts they are a piece of cake when it comes to maintaining temps

Shucker
    Eastern North Carolina
    Go Pirates!

http://facebook.com/oldcolonysmokehouse

https://www.instagram.com/oldcolonysmokehouse/

L & MM BGE/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Pit Barrel Cooker/QDS/Shirley Fab 50" Patio/BQ Grills Hog Cooker/Stump's Classic/Weber 22" OTG

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    We sell both the egg and all the Weber products. The Egg is not like the Weber kettle. It uses ceramic plates to cook indirect vs direct. It is far superior to the kettle grills, but you will need to get what you have learned about grill setup out of your mind. always fill the egg up with charcoal. Unlike the kettles, you will not waste coal, as it is extinguished and re-lit easily. DO NOT SKIMP ON FILLING THE EGG. Your egg will cook over 24 hrs at 250 on a single load of pure lump charcoal. jump in and keep an open mind. It is a totally different beast.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    Price sounds right. Welcome to Eggdom. Curious how you happened to settle on the XL. For what you described a large with some inexpensive after market rigs would have served you just as well. With an XL you might want to investigate some reducer inserts to save yourself on lump charcoal.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • ryantt
    Options
    RRP said:

Price sounds right. Welcome to Eggdom. Curious how you happened to settle on the XL. For what you described a large with some inexpensive after market rigs would have served you just as well. With an XL you might want to investigate some reducer inserts to save yourself on lump charcoal.

It was 200 more than the lg and Im use to a 22.5 in charcoal grill. Then they showed me how they did an 80lb pig with the head off on the XL. My wife told me it's cheaper to get the XL now then a year down the road, which was a good point. Also my wife has wanted a woodfired pizza oven for a few yes and this seems like it can accommodate that as well for less than the pizza oven itself. She likes to make - few small pizzas at a time and they said whe could fit 3 small pizzas on th XL stone. The sales guy, from custom fireplace shop in Canton Ohio, actually said that was the only reason for the XL.

• pgprescott
    Options
    RRP said:

I am normally right in step with Ron's advice, but I am not a fan of the lump reducers as I feel the charcoal is not wasted on the egg. Once you shut it down the fire snuffs out and you simply can relight it later. Not having adequate lump is one of the only things that can possibly go wrong on the egg. You really only use what you burn. I am intimately aware of the concern as it relates to Weber kettles. Apples and oranges. IMHO
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options

Welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  It's all in front of you-no worries about the size or price as you were in the ball-park.  Definitely different and this place is a great stop to ask questions.

Here's an eggcellent link for all things ceramic: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/nwindex.htm  Chances are answers to any questions are in there somewhere.

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • ryantt
    Options
    One last question, they make a big deal out of BGE lump, but there are a lot of good lump charcoals out there, is it really as good as they say? I have used lump for years and have one that I love, which is produced in Cleveland Ohio, and it's cheap 40lbs for $25 when you buy 5 at once.

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Yes XL was the way to go. You won't regret it. Also the price is more than fair. The MSRP at the main egg retail store for the XL was $1099 without the nest or plate setter last time I was there.
  • pgprescott
    Options
    ryantt said:

One last question, they make a big deal out of BGE lump, but there are a lot of good lump charcoals out there, is it really as good as they say? I have used lump for years and have one that I love, which is produced in Cleveland Ohio, and it's cheap 40lbs for $25 when you buy 5 at once.

Definately use what you like. All are not equal, but if you have experience with lump, you probably already are aware of this fact.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    Regarding lump, if you have a favorite and can get it-use it.  And BGE lump is rebranded Royal Oak-gotta be a high margin product for the mothership.  BTW discussing lump charcoal on here is about like religion.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • pgprescott
    Options
    lousubcap said:

Regarding lump, if you have a favorite and can get it-use it.  And BGE lump is rebranded Royal Oak-gotta be a high margin product for the mothership.  BTW discussing lump charcoal on here is about like religion.  FWIW-

Got that right! keep away!
  • ryantt
    Options
    Thanks I'll order it now

• yellowdogbbq
    Options
    @ryantt what brand are you using?  I'm in the Cleveland area and used to use the Cleveland Charcoal Company lump but they switched sources and now get it from Mexico.  It sparks like crazy and there is whole logs in the bag so I went back to Royal Oak.  Btw my in laws live in North Canton.
  • jcaspary
    jcaspary Posts: 1,479
    Options
    Welcome aboard.  You got a great deal for that area.  Use, abuse (it can take it) and enjoy.  XL was a very good choice.  So many more that to just be able to do a couple of pizzas at one time.  Don't worry about the lump reducer.  You won't use all that much more lump.  With that size you can still do zone cooking.  You will find that your Egg will handle whatever you throw at it and come back for more.  Your UDS (???) may find less and less work as you go.  Cook lots and post pics.  We love pics.  Well most of them.  Some of the pics here will hurt your eyes and leave lasting images in your brain. 
    XL BGE, LG BGE, and a hunger to grill everything in sight!!!
    Joe- Strongsville, OH
  • jcaspary
    Options
    I'm also interested in the Cleveland lump.  I love Rockwood but if I ever run out I can easily pick up a bag.
    Joe- Strongsville, OH
  • ryantt
    Options

@ryantt what brand are you using?  I'm in the Cleveland area and used to use the Cleveland Charcoal Company lump but they switched sources and now get it from Mexico.  It sparks like crazy and there is whole logs in the bag so I went back to Royal Oak.  Btw my in laws live in North Canton.

I use Cleveland charcoal company. We purchased 5 pallets about 2 yrs ago. IBe never had any quality issues, but if they've changed it may be a different beast.

• ktm101
    ktm101 Posts: 61
    Options
    Welcome aboard!  I bought my egg at the same shop in canton, great guys to deal with!  I would like to know more about the lump you get from cleveland because I havn't found any other good lump in the area.  
  • ryantt
    Options
    jcaspary said:

Welcome aboard.  You got a great deal for that area.  Use, abuse (it can take it) and enjoy.  XL was a very good choice.  So many more that to just be able to do a couple of pizzas at one time.  Don't worry about the lump reducer.  You won't use all that much more lump.  With that size you can still do zone cooking.  You will find that your Egg will handle whatever you throw at it and come back for more.  Your UDS (???) may find less and less work as you go.  Cook lots and post pics.  We love pics.  Well most of them.  Some of the pics here will hurt your eyes and leave lasting images in your brain. 

I hope my ugly drum smoker still finds use, even if it just travels to games for tailgating....it's been a good friend and it's amazing how many people you meet, when your doing pulled pork and whole chickens at the game.

• ryantt
    Options
    ktm101 said:

Welcome aboard!  I bought my egg at the same shop in canton, great guys to deal with!  I would like to know more about the lump you get from cleveland because I havn't found any other good lump in the area.  

I've used Cleveland charcoal company, for a few years, and have never had an issue, but as mentioned above they have changed their sourcing and is now different. We purchased 5 pallets 2 yrs ago and am almost out was getting ready to reorder the same but will try a few bags first. http://www.clevelandcharcoal.com/Lump.html

• jcaspary
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Thanks for clearing up the UDS.  Now that I know what it is exactly I'm sure you will still have an occasion to use it.  If the tailgates you speak of are for the Browns, at least the tailgate is good.  =))  
    Joe- Strongsville, OH
  • theyolksonyou
    Options

lousubcap said:

Got that right! keep away!
    Except on weekends at night when everyone is drinking. Then, by all means, bring it up, pop some corn and stand back. :D

welcome aboard, you just upgraded your cooks.
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    Welcome. I for one wish I went with the xl so go big or go home as for the BGE lump tell the dealer to knock off 50$ and he could keep the lump.
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• jcaspary
    Options
     As I said I use Rockwood primarily.  If you, @ktm101, @yellowdogbbq, or anyone else wants to order a few bags send me a message and we can get together to order a bunch and save on shipping.  I work in Medina so I'm not that far away.  It's too bad the Cleveland company switched producers.  It would have been nie to have something local in case of emergencies. 
    Joe- Strongsville, OH
  • yellowdogbbq
    Options
    @jcaspary as far as the Browns go, there is always next year!  I was really ticked when I went to buy a bag of Cleveland Charcoal Co. Lump and saw product of Mexico on it.  It used to be excellent lump and I would have bought a pallet of it if I would of known they were switching suppliers.