Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Trouble getting Mini Max to shut down

Anyone else having any trouble getting their Mini Max to shut down in a reasonable amount of time? My XL is usually cool to the touch in about an hour after cooking, but the Mini Max stays hot for 2+ sometimes. I've checked my seal, and have pretty even pull on a dollar bill all around.

Any thoughts or tips would be appreciated.
XL & Mini Max

Comments

• I don't even check mine.  I just close it down and walk away.  

I don't have a good hypothesis as to why it might stay hot, other than an air leak.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • shucker
    shucker Posts: 483
    It's that damned fire ring alignment. Or is it the small cooking grid? Or the cheap rubber feet? I'm sure it's one of those things

Shucker
    Eastern North Carolina
    Go Pirates!

http://facebook.com/oldcolonysmokehouse

https://www.instagram.com/oldcolonysmokehouse/

L & MM BGE/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Pit Barrel Cooker/QDS/Shirley Fab 50" Patio/BQ Grills Hog Cooker/Stump's Classic/Weber 22" OTG

• SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Mine shut down quick, I was actually surprised how cool it was a little over an hour after being 400 degrees.
    I think the smaller fire ring holds less heat, no?
    Seattle, WA
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    @shucker =))
    Personally I've never checked it. Done cooking, shut down egg, eat, come back to finish a beverage and look at the stars.
    With the XL maybe the thermal mass cools quicker. Dunno. I would guess each egg cools at a different rate from size variation to gasket air tight integrity.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    It takes longer than the larger eggs for sure. Not sure why and its not a big deal I just notice it because all my eggs are in the garage right now and I leave the door cracked until they cool down so i notice it more.
  • AT8
    AT8 Posts: 5
    Thanks for the thoughts. @Lit glad to know yours does the same thing.
    XL & Mini Max
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    It could be an air leak. My small used to take a very long time to cool down until I ran some silicone permatex all around the lower intake vent. Solved my problem.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    edited February 2015
    You are using the ceramic cap to shut it down? Mine works fine.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    @Mickey yes I am using the green cap. I did just install the gasket around the top chimney though and haven't used it since so that may help. I had actually noticed the temp of the MM rising after I shut it down. Would be cooking at 400 and shut it down and go back out 20 minutes later and it was up to 450.
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    I've had quite the opposite experience.  It'll take an hour or so for my XL to cool down.  However, my Mini Max is cool in a matter of minutes.  It's wonderful that it cools down so fast, and adds to it's portability.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• AT8
    AT8 Posts: 5
    Cooked again tonight... Confirmed that I have an air leak in the back near the hinge.
    XL & Mini Max
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    @AT8-good for staying the course to find the air leak.  It should cool quicker than a larger BGE.  Initially my SBGE was taking too long to cool.   Needed to line the ceramic top with a couple of layers of HDAF to get a more true seal.  Problem solved. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • bcsnave
    bcsnave Posts: 1,009
    send it up to me..I'll check it out for you...if it doesn't shut down..I'll dispose of it for you so you have no worries.

The Dude..a Mini and a Large Egg..a DigiQ DX (BGE Green)..some Cast Iron...a Thermapen.............and an Ol' Fashion

_____________________________________________________________________________

Glenbeulah, WI