Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Buyer Beware - Ceramic Grillworks of Pittsburgh

Options

I purchased a 2 tier adjustable rack for my large BGE. I had problems with the grate and contacted the company.

"Franco" responded to me acknowledging the problem and would told me "rest assured they would make it right".

Well, after a year of many emails, Franco has stopped responding and I don't have a grate replacement.

I'm posting here and a few other forums to share how I was treated by this company.

Comments

• islanderegger
    Options
    I bought the 2 tier adjustable rack also, quite expensive to ship to Canada as all they use is UPS and they charged another 65.00 when it showed up.

My question is" what are the problems you have with it", as mine is always used and I love it.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    @islanderegger - You did not buy that from Ceramic Grill Works of Pittsburgh, PA, you bought that from Ceramic Grill Store of Denton, TX. I have never heard of a customer service or quality problem with Ceramic Grill Store.

@Dunleav1 - Sorry to hear your experience, I have heard other reports similar to yours.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Dunleav1
    Options
    The rack sags when the temp gets over 400 degrees. The sales contact Franco acknowledged the problem was with some steel on some grates. I was patient when he told me he would make it right but then he just ignored me. This has been going on for over a year. 
    I figured at this point I'm not getting anything to resolve the issue but wanted to let everyone know how I was treated.

• islanderegger
    Options
    Oh , sorry!  Get those mixed up,doh . 
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    The ceramic grill works guy posts here sometimes, but I forget his handle.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    I get the 2 confused...which one does Tom run?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    I've been debating buying one for my medium fake egg. This probably just cost them one customer already.

Little Rock, AR

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    henapple said:

Tom is in TX.
    NOLA
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    henapple said:

=))
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • CGW1
    CGW1 Posts: 332
    Options
    @Dunleav1 I am sorry for the severe delay in your replacement rack!!  This is by no means an excuse.....There are ongoing issues with my current supplier in regards to production times, to make matters worse their equipment is down and they have been waiting for a certain part to arrive from overseas.  We are currently out of stock on Large 2 tiers since the end of Dec. I have a backlog of racks that need to be replaced.  WE WILL REPLACE THESE RACKS!!!  WE ARE NOT IGNORING ANYONE.  Sadly this out of my control and I am at the mercy of my supplier.  We are also looking into additional shops to help speed this process up.

Any questions or comments call me.  I am not dodging or ducking anyone.  412-858-5275 Shop #
    Franco Ceramic Grillworks www.ceramicgrillworks.com
  • Chubbs
    Options
    BYS1981 said:

The ceramic grill works guy posts here sometimes, but I forget his handle.

CGW1
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    @henapple, Tom runs the Ceramic Grill Store in texas, I have had great service from them.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Tom from cgs in Denton has never had a complaint here that I know of. His reputation is spotless...
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Turk2011
    Options
    I might be the only one - doubt it- but I have bought from The Ceramic Grill Store I recieved great customer service . My XL stone came to me broken however no problem. Called them with the news and I got a replacement within 3 days. I was very satisfied with there service.
    I hate that you had a bad experience but negitive feed back effects 10 fold to positive.
    Swampeast , MO  XL 2013  MM 2015
  • Chubbs
    Options
    Turk2011 said:

I might be the only one - doubt it- but I have bought from The Ceramic Grill Store I recieved great customer service . My XL stone came to me broken however no problem. Called them with the news and I got a replacement within 3 days. I was very satisfied with there service.
    I hate that you had a bad experience but negitive feed back effects 10 fold to positive.

Ceramic Grill WORKS is what he is referring to. You are referring to Ceramic Grill STORE. Different store. You bought from the good guys.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    Sounds like a refund is in order. A year is a long time regardless of ANY issue.
  • Turk2011
    Options
    Well SOB ! It must be the whisky or the foot of snow that confused me. Probably the 1st.
    Swampeast , MO  XL 2013  MM 2015
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    @Dunleav1 ... I sent you a private message.
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    There was a post just a couple days ago where another person was waiting for a replacement CGW xl swing grate that had an issue and was told they were on back order and he commented on a post on here where the guys wife had ordered one a couple days before and got it for him. Strange how the guy waiting for a replacement is still waiting but someone ordered a new one and they got it right away. Seems really fishy here and I have seen multiple posts about issues from ceramic grill works.
  • johnkitchens
    Options
    This thread is getting awkward. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Lit said:

There was a post just a couple days ago where another person was waiting for a replacement CGW xl swing grate that had an issue and was told they were on back order and he commented on a post on here where the guys wife had ordered one a couple days before and got it for him. Strange how the guy waiting for a replacement is still waiting but someone ordered a new one and they got it right away. Seems really fishy here and I have seen multiple posts about issues from ceramic grill works.

Methinks new sales are better profit than warranty replacements...
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Lit
    Options

Here's th epost so people don't think I am lieing. I would be pissed if I was waiting on my replacement and saw this.

...http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1177115/bday-present#latest

• johnkitchens
    Options
    Lit said:

Here's th epost so people don't think I am lieing. I would be pissed if I was waiting on my replacement and saw this.

Ouch!

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    CGW1 said:

blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah.  We are currently out of stock on Large 2 tiers since the end of Dec. blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah

Funny - I was able to put a large in my shopping cart on their website just a minute ago, no message about out of stock or anything.  I think you're right @DMW, at least until new sales dry up.
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options

This thread is getting awkward. 

Its like a bad car wreck, just gotta look.

Little Rock, AR

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options

Lit said:

Ouch!
    Gee this makes me want to order one right away and mod it for my MM. NOT!!!

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • smokeyj
    smokeyj Posts: 340
    Options
    Strange, I never had an issue with customer service or the rack itself. Been really satisfied.
  • Lit
    Options
    The best part is the OP says he has been waiting for 12 months then CGW1 says they have been out of stock since December. What happened the first 9 months?
  • Lit
    Options
    The best part is the OP says he has been waiting for 12 months then CGW1 says they have been out of stock since December. What happened the first 9 months?
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited February 2015
    Options
    smokeyj said:

Strange, I never had an issue with customer service or the rack itself. Been really satisfied.

If you've never had a problem then you've had no reason to contact customer service. Thus why you probably feel satisfied.
    OTOH if you had a problem and waited over a year with many emails etc with no resolve I bet that you would feel the same way. To say there is no product to send warranty customers and then go online and order a new one with no issue is very hinky.

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL