Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Low and Slow on the Mini Max

Options
Cooked a pork butt on the mini max yesterday using the platesetter and woo combo.  I am typically a turbo guy but I wanted to see how long this mini max could burn on a load of lump.  With the cold temperatures outside and wind gusting 25-30 mph, it had quite a job on its hands.  I started with a full load of fresh rockwood with a couple chunks of cherry wood for smoke.  Butt hit the egg around 8:30 with the mm dialed in at 260 degrees.  9.5 hours later and egg temp fluctuations of only +/- 10 degrees with little adjustment, IT was 198 and ready to pull.  I was surprised to find that I had a decent amount of lump left, certainly enough for a couple more hours if not more.  The pork was outstanding of course, and the mini max amazed me yet again (despite that whole fire ring alignment issue).  Forgive me for not having pictures of the cooking process, us Carolina boys dont know how to handle wind chills in the single digits.     

Shucker
Eastern North Carolina
Go Pirates!

http://facebook.com/oldcolonysmokehouse

https://www.instagram.com/oldcolonysmokehouse/

L & MM BGE/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Pit Barrel Cooker/QDS/Shirley Fab 50" Patio/BQ Grills Hog Cooker/Stump's Classic/Weber 22" OTG

Comments

• jcaspary
    jcaspary Posts: 1,479
    Options
    Try regular temps below zero without the wind chill.  :D   Plated pic looks delicious. 
    XL BGE, LG BGE, and a hunger to grill everything in sight!!!
    Joe- Strongsville, OH
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    =D> Nice
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    Options
    Looks good
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • Randy1
    Randy1 Posts: 379
    Options
    Wow..good to know. I was wondering if the MM could do a 10hr cook.
    Maumelle, Arkansas
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    How many # butt was this?
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    This Carolina boy cannot stand cold weather. Although I do love a good fire. Food looks great
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    Options
    Nice - this setup is what I've been wondering about! 

Just to clarify, you bought the woo so you can raise the grid above the felt-line, right?  Then the platesetter just fits in normally..  perfect.

Great to hear you got the low and slow working, this setup is what I wanted the MM for - portable egging with no tradeoffs except capacity.

I like that the woo has the low spot too.  Great for a stone if needed, or a small grid for searing.
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    :-bd
    Seattle, WA
  • shucker
    shucker Posts: 483
    Options
    NPHuskerFL the butt was right at 6#, i trimmed it heavily including removal of the fat cap, so it was surely closer to 5# by the time it started cooking

sumoconnell yes I got the woo to give me a little more separation between the lump and the cooking grid.  Platesetter does work with the woo but its a pain in the a$$ to get in and out of the thing.  With a full load of lump, it didnt set in place as perfectly as I wouldve liked.  Had it not been so cold outside, I wouldve played with it a bit more to try and get it to work a little better.  Overall, it is effective although I think the small stone from CGS will be a better option.  I'll pick one up on the next order I place.     

Shucker
    Eastern North Carolina
    Go Pirates!

http://facebook.com/oldcolonysmokehouse

https://www.instagram.com/oldcolonysmokehouse/

L & MM BGE/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Pit Barrel Cooker/QDS/Shirley Fab 50" Patio/BQ Grills Hog Cooker/Stump's Classic/Weber 22" OTG

• KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options
    Thanks for the report.
    How big was the butt?

I have contemplating getting a MM for travel/portability.  But when I travel it is usually with a larger crowd, and need to cook a decent size butt or brisket...

LBGE/Maryland
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Now that Tom has the stones in I am going that way also.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• MeTed
    MeTed Posts: 800
    Options
    Thanks for the info. Very useful.
    Belleville, Michigan

Just burnin lump in Sumpter
  • Von
    Von Posts: 3
    Options
    Woo combo on the way.Hi Q grate arrives same day.thanks for the info..
    Maiden NC: XL Mini Max and Lg at RV site

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Nice looking cook. Another $50 at CGS.
  • bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,733
    Options
    Nice!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options

that is BEAUTIFUL man!  Thanks for sharing.  I've had the MM maintain 600-650F for 3+ hrs with the platesetter/woo (legs down) and now I am ready to try to smoke a pork shoulder on it for 10 hrs or so on our next beach vacation.  i'll post picts here to let you guys know how it goes!

• YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    Agreed.  Thanks for sharing this cook.  I have a 7.5lb shoulder in the fridge I need to trim up and cook.  I may just try it on the Mini Max instead of the XL for giggles.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    YEMTrey said:

Agreed.  Thanks for sharing this cook.  I have a 7.5lb shoulder in the fridge I need to trim up and cook.  I may just try it on the Mini Max instead of the XL for giggles.

YEMTrey-

if you do it on the MiniMax and are able to, I, along with several other egg brethren would love to see the process documented with picts.  setup, temp gauge and the length of time you actually cook it. 

I am going to take more and better picts with the cooks I do.