Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Prime Time

SWMBO wanted steak for Valentine's Day. She had me at steak. Costco had some prime beauties. Simple EVOO, salt, pepper served with a shallot/parsley butter, mashed potatoes and creamed spinach (steak house old school) . Perfect medium rare. I scored hubby points on this one.

The aftermath.....

In the  Hinterlands between Cumming and Gainesville, GA
Med BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe, Brinkman Dual Zone, Weber Genesis Gas Grill and portable gasser for boating

Comments

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    You all are killing it with the steaks and sides. Nicely done!
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    eesh those steaks look awesome, and the creamed spinach seals the deal.  can't beat that at any steakhouse.
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • Now you made me hungry..
  • Thanks, Pgprescott. We had the leftovers for breakfast (yes, there were leftovers.) Brought them back to life with the Sous Vide. Some fried eggs....decadence.
    Med BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe, Brinkman Dual Zone, Weber Genesis Gas Grill and portable gasser for boating
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544

Thanks, Pgprescott. We had the leftovers for breakfast (yes, there were leftovers.) Brought them back to life with the Sous Vide. Some fried eggs....decadence.

steak and eggs rock as well. Combining two of my favorite things. Enjoy the fruits of your labor.
  • jcaspary
    jcaspary Posts: 1,479
    Incredible!!!! :-bd
    XL BGE, LG BGE, and a hunger to grill everything in sight!!!
    Joe- Strongsville, OH
  • Tinyfish
    Tinyfish Posts: 1,755
    I just had steak last night...but seeing those beauty's... now I want more.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    ^:)^ Man that looks good. How did you make the butter?
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Thanks everyone for the kind comments.

Mickey, the butter is very simple. Take a stick of butter and let it soften (or nuke it for 20 seconds). Place into a bowl and fold in your additions (I use a fork). Here I used finely diced shallots, Italian parsley and very small garlic clove, minced. You can add a pinch of salt if using unsalted butter.

This part is important: scoop the butter out of the bowl and place on a sheet of plastic wrap. Fold the wrap onto itself and roll the butter up into a "tube" and twist the ends. Put it back into the fridge to harden. Cut into coins for serving.

Adds flavor, looks nice, easy to do.

• BTW folks, I strongly urge you to try the prime steaks available at Costco (if you have one nearby). We only do this every other month so when we do, it's worth the price of admission.
  • You know, I just realized I said "mashed potatoes". Actually, baked potatoes, sour cream and cheese. All the fat and cholesterol a growing boy needs. :D
  • blind99 said:

eesh those steaks look awesome, and the creamed spinach seals the deal.  can't beat that at any steakhouse.

Look up "Ruth's Chris' Creamed Spinach". Even my veggie-hating youngest loved it and yes, with the vino this would have been a $175 dinner for right on $50. A deal in my book!
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Thanks so much. Got to try that next time. You are saying shallots and not scallions correct?
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Cymbaline65
    Cymbaline65 Posts: 800
    edited February 2015
    Mickey said:

Thanks so much. Got to try that next time. You are saying shallots and not scallions correct?

Correct, Shallots. I love shallots as they are as versatile as onions with a much milder flavor.

Old restaurant trick is to add butter to your steak which will make a cheaper bottle of wine taste "smoother" as your tongue is coated with fat. We had a Rodney Strong Cabernet with the steaks and after my few pre-meal cocktails, I'm not sure it made any difference.

:P
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Wow, again, I'm drooling just abuut enough to short out my keyboard!

^:)^
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • Shut the door...That is beyond Awesome... Fantastic.. =D>
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Fine looking meal there! Equvulant to a $100 plus meal from a fine steak house.
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • +1 on the prime steaks from costco. Won't buy steak anywhere else given the quality and value of those.
  • Sookie
    Sookie Posts: 335
    Good call on using one of Ruths Chris recipes for your side.  The restaurant is  expensive as my husband and I found out, but they have the BEST sides of any steakhouse I have ever eating at.  If you haven't tried it, look up "Lobster Voodoo" which we have used for a topping on steaks.  It's REALLY good.  There is a recipe I found for it online when they visited our local TV news show.
  • Looks perfect, great job.
  • Thanks everyone. I'll look that up, Sookie.
  • =P~ That looks so good! I haven't ever made creamed spinach but it's my wife's fav from her fav restaurant. How do you make that?
    LBGE | Conroe, TX
  • Tisoypops: I just followed this recipe.

http://www.food.com/recipe/ruths-chris-steak-house-creamed-spinach-31045

Instead of whole milk I used cream. Also, I find that frozen spinach is just as good as fresh for this recipe so don't kill yourself with fresh.