Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

2nd Egg

Options
Hi all, I already have a large and love it. I went to purchase a second egg on Friday and was planning on getting a medium, when I saw the lg and med side by side I was really surprised with the size difference, and I left because I became confused if the med was right for me. There has been many times when I was doing a slow cook on my large that I wished for a 2nd egg to do different types of cooks. The price difference between the 2 is only a $100. I just figured on the med for quick cooks, but didn't expect such a drastic size difference.

Comments

• tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    Options
    Go with the large. You can also share components.
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • yellowdogbbq
    Options
    It all comes down to what you are planning to do with it. I have a large and I'm looking to get a small or a MM for portability and doing quick small cooks. If you're not needing portability and just want to do different cooks at the same time I would consider another large. The advantage being that you can use the same plate setter, woo, ext. With that said people love the medium. Good luck and you can't go wrong with either size.
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    There are 3 things to consider in my mind:

1. What do you cook
    2. How many typically fed
    3. What is you budget

If you have no budget I say go as large as you can afford. If usually cook for 2 and wanting a weeknight vessel the mini or MM are work horses. I wouldn't get a medium because the lack if aftermarket products. Don't be fooled by the size of the egg. You can cook way more than you think in the little guys. Good luck.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • 10_42bbq
    Options

I have a large and medium but not by design as I just kinda ended up with that combo.

For only $100 difference I would go with a second large.  All your accessories and add-ons would be swappable which may save you that $100 down the road as you could get away with buying fewer accessories than you would if you got the medium.  Two of the same would offer the ultimate flexibility. 

Just my 2 cents...

If you think about it, it's actually an awesome dilemma to have! two eggs rock.

LBGE and MBGE.  Also have a seldom used and very jealous Weber gasser. 

Lexington, SC.

• Szucker
    Options
    Just got my first egg. Tried filet mignons yesterday and They were awesome. Today doing pork ribs and beef brisket. Can't wait. I owe it all to my good friend John. He's the one who got me hooked. I'm a big green egg junkie!!♨️
  • Szucker
    Options
    I can't wait to have a big green dilemma like this guy!
  • Bustersdad
    Options
    I have a large and a small, if portability and budget not an issue I'd opt for twin larges.
  • shucker
    shucker Posts: 483
    Options
    I have a large and had a medium as a second egg. I recently sold the medium and got a mini max. Reason being that the mm can hold enough food for the 3 of us and it uses a lot less lump than the LG or med plus it comes to temp much quicker for weeknight cooks. For my purposes the med wasnt a good fit size wise but it all depends on what you want to do with it. If you're simply loon for more cooking space then go with the large. If you want something smaller to get to temp quickly for smaller cooks then look toward the medium or even the small or mm.

Shucker
    Eastern North Carolina
    Go Pirates!

http://facebook.com/oldcolonysmokehouse

https://www.instagram.com/oldcolonysmokehouse/

L & MM BGE/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Pit Barrel Cooker/QDS/Shirley Fab 50" Patio/BQ Grills Hog Cooker/Stump's Classic/Weber 22" OTG

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,187
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I bought a medium as my second egg. I just bought a raised grid setup and wok. Have the platesetter too so I feel like I'm pretty well covered to do the cooking I plan to do on it. After seeing the MM, I was afraid theft might be an issue so I went with the medium in a table. I didn't want to haul the MM in and out every time I used it. I don't think you can go wrong with either the medium or the large especially given the price difference. If you already have a bunch of large accessories, the get another large, buying more accessories for the medium will cost you more than a C Note. Give the medium some love, it's a good egg.
  • Tinyfish
    Tinyfish Posts: 1,755
    Options
    What the heck buy an XL. An XL and a large are a great combo, the only thing that would make that combo better is adding the minimax.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Love having two Larges Thanksgivivg as can do the ham and turkey be ready at meal time w/o keeping anything warm. Just like wife having two ovens.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mickey
    Options
    Other side of that coin is there are only two of us (would be fine with 3 or 4 if short people) get a Mini-Max or Mini. I use the MM or Mini 75% of the time.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,187
    Options
    That's some fine looking bird Mr Mickey!
  • Mickey
    Options

That's some fine looking bird Mr Mickey!

Thank you

• Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    Mickey said:

Other side of that coin is there are only two of us (would be fine with 3 or 4 if short people) ...

@Mickey ... I'm confused.  Do you mean that 3 or 4 short people have the same egg needs as two Texas sized folks? 

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• Mickey
    Options

Mickey said:

Other side of that coin is there are only two of us (would be fine with 3 or 4 if short people) ...

@Mickey ... I'm confused.  Do you mean that 3 or 4 short people have the same egg needs as two Texas sized folks? 
    NOPE..... Talking about children (short children to be exact)... 2 adults and 1 or 2 shorter types....

• tisoypops
    Options
    I only have a large and would love a smaller one when I get another. Would love to be able to take it camping or tailgating, not to mention being able to cook during the week since they come to temp so much quicker. No bigger than a small. Was thinking it'd have to MM or mini to meet those criteria until I saw RRPs idea to transport the small and that he can do it on his own. Now the decision will be even tougher when the time comes. Good luck!
    LBGE | Conroe, TX
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Options
    @Lecky - I have become addicted to this whole egg thing for sure. I have accumulated a few eggs now (and I know it's really overkill but it's my hobby). Please bear in mind that this is only MY opinion based on my experience and how I cook.

I started with a L like you. When I got my second egg, I bought a used med off Craigslist for cheap just to see if I liked having two eggs. I ended up selling it when I got a great deal on a L demo egg from a dealer (I wanted to have an egg with warranty). So I sold the M and had two L eggs. This combo worked great but I missed the M. The M is actually my favorite egg and I HAD to have another one. I use starter cubes to light and for me, it comes to temp the fastest, makes the crispiest skin on a spatchcock (I don't know why but there must be something with the thermodynamics of the size - I'm no engineer), and works great for most meals for my family of 5 (2 adults, a 10 yr old, an 8 year old, and a 1 yr old).

Whatever you end up with, you'll be happy as having multiple eggs is a lot of fun. My M is my workhorse and gets used about 3x as much (at least 3-4 times per week) as any of my other eggs. I know there are a few other M owners on here that feel similarly. 

Good luck with whatever you get as you can't go wrong. 

L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    Be careful, I hear the mini max fire ring is a bit off =))
    Seattle, WA
  • cookingdude555
    Options
    I'm with @minniemoh !  The small and mini have become backyard ornaments since the mediums arrival (if I was was honest, the same is true for the L and XL).  I thought about getting the MM, but I cant think of a good reason.  I hear people say the medium doesn't have accessories. I can see that if compared to the L or XL, but it appears to have the same amount compared to the other smaller eggs.  They all have one or two to choose from.  I use the woo on my medium for every cook.
  • apinion
    apinion Posts: 470
    Options
    tisoypops said:

I only have a large and would love a smaller one when I get another. Would love to be able to take it camping or tailgating, not to mention being able to cook during the week since they come to temp so much quicker. No bigger than a small. Was thinking it'd have to MM or mini to meet those criteria until I saw RRPs idea to transport the small and that he can do it on his own. Now the decision will be even tougher when the time comes. Good luck!

Whats this small transport you speak of? I tried searching....
    Louisianian by birth, Louisianian by death. Austinite for now...
  • tisoypops
    Options
    @apinion it's called a pot lifter. I'm searching trying to find it, maybe @RRP will chime in. He posted a pic of it too. Said they're like 30 bucks
    LBGE | Conroe, TX
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    tisoypops said:

@apinion it's called a pot lifter. I'm searching trying to find it, maybe @RRP will chime in. He posted a pic of it too. Said they're like 30 bucks

Google it and there are many sources - even some Wally Worlds!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Mickey
    Options
    tisoypops said:

Look at Amazon.

• johnkitchens
    Options
    I would get the large. It is only $100 more and you can share platesetters, etc. I have two larges and they are the perfect size for me. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options

It all comes down to what you are planning to do with it. I have a large and I'm looking to get a small or a MM for portability and doing quick small cooks. If you're not needing portability and just want to do different cooks at the same time I would consider another large. The advantage being that you can use the same plate setter, woo, ext. With that said people love the medium. Good luck and you can't go wrong with either size.

I agree with @yellowdogbbq, I am looking at the small or MM my self to use during the week. One of my dealers got one for Christmas and said he can get the small up to 600 in 6 minutes. There is just three of us in our family and it would save time and lump if I only fired up a small during the week and save the XL for big weekend cooks. The other option I have, but haven't tired is just using the bottom section of my WSM as a grill. I put L brackets on it so could do that, but never have. May have to try it now. It would be a big Smokey Joe.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Lecky
    Lecky Posts: 60
    Options
    Hi everyone, thanks for all the advice. I am pretty sure that I am going to go with the large. I Called my dealer today and asked him to put one aside for me. For the price of the large $699 how can I refuse, the medium is $599. What's funny is, as I'm writing this I am still questioning this decision.
  • scottc454
    Options
    I recommend the medium if you're impatient like me because it is the quickest to temp of all the eggs.  I'd rather have it and a large vs 2 larges for that reason.  It's great for quick grilling.

• johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Lecky said:

Hi everyone, thanks for all the advice. I am pretty sure that I am going to go with the large. I Called my dealer today and asked him to put one aside for me. For the price of the large $699 how can I refuse, the medium is $599. What's funny is, as I'm writing this I am still questioning this decision.

Don't second guess yourself. Two larges sitting side by side look great! I love having two of them. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's