Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

V Day egging: steak river farms, blue cheese onion sauce and mashers

2 8 oz Kobe ribeye filets

imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage
Memphis, TN ----> Chattanooga, TN

Comments

• WOW! That is all.
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Holy $hit that's a nice looking steak
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • I bought a couple of those filets, too, but my honey is working nights this weekend so we will have to have our valentines dinner next week. Please post final pics of the steaks. I'm not sure how I'm gonna cook them yet.

Little Rock, AR

• Walt2015
    Walt2015 Posts: 583
    edited February 2015
    One of the best steaks I've had, no BS.
    Seared in screamin hot CI for about 60 sec on all sides, IT was about 110 so let egg cool a big and threw it back on about -350 with sauce for it to warm back up. Mine was a bit thicker and a nice MR, misses was good medium on edges and MR in center. She only ate edges before fillings up so things worked out as planned 3:-O 3:-O :))

imageimageimageimageimageimageimage
  • I got a little excited looking at the pics.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,427
    Dayam.....   :-O

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• Nice!

Little Rock, AR

• Walt2015
    edited February 2015
    This was the first time I've really left it fly with the CI skillet on the egg. Threw a few tbsp of butter in there (think I had seen @Mickey advising this recently), opened up the bottom vent almost all the way, no daisy wheel and made sure CI was smoking then threw the steaks in. Added more butter anytime it looked to be drying out. Tried to sear each side since these were some square cuts. Wife said best steak she's had off the Egg so I'll take it. Now the big question, porterhouse or cowboy chops for upcoming bachelor party??
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,023
    Doooo what?!?!?! #:-S Whew!! Look at that marbelization!! Those final pix... Wow!! =P~
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    That is very nice steaks. I'm with you, the very best way to cook them
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Possibly some of the best I've seen. $100 plate with a glass of wine. You just embarrassed some very good steakhouses. Wow!
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Very nicely done and beautiful presentation on the plating! =D>
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Walt2015
    Thanks @pgprescott, I think this was the first time I convinced the wife it's better than going out for VDay

@DMW just trying to keep up with you man. Always look forward to seeing your plates
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    That may be the best steak cook I've seen here, or anywhere. Unbelievably well executed. Bravo.
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Exceptional cook man!
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Home run! The steaks look fabulous, and that sauce looks  pretty damn good too.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Sporty looking cook!!!
  • BearQ
    BearQ Posts: 174
    Awesome looking cook! I'm curios about your second level setup. Are you only using one bolt for all that weight?
    Barrie,Ont.,Canada.
  • Walt2015
    edited February 2015
    @BearQ there are 3 bolts in a triangle shape. I had 4 but the three just gave me a little extra room to move stuff around on the bottom.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Man that is over the top.  I must order some of those steaks!  

The sauce looks killer too.  Is this basically the recipe for the sauce? 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Looked like a GREAT dinner!  Bravo.
    Walt2015 said:

Now the big question, porterhouse or cowboy chops for upcoming bachelor party??

Only because you asked I will provide my thoughts. Porterhouse is
    awesome, but tough to cook "perfect" because the filet cooks faster that
    the strip. I would go cowboy ribeye, with the guest of honor getting a
    bigger, thicker steak and serving it on a cutting board. Whatever you do, make sure you nail his steak perfect - he is trusting you to cook what will be one of the most memorable meals of his life. Now worries though - you proved you already have the skills and technique.
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • Walt2015
    edited February 2015
    @SmokeyPitt I th that's where the wife grabbed it from originally. We cook a lot of her stuff. For this one. I used 1 medium yellow onion cut into strips and minced 3 cloves of garlic. Onto egg at 450 ish in the CI with just some EVOO until almost charred. Then add in 1 pack of bleu cheese or Gorgonzola crumbles (I think 6 ounces) then when almost completely melted, add in half and half or heavy about exist to make the consistency that you want. My exact measurement was a quarter of a coffee cup. We use the evoo and half and half just to make it a bit lighter but still a very rich sauce. image

@Sea2Ski I'm thinking of getting 2 Cowboys from SRF and cooking one to MR and one to medium with some apps/sides. Only 4 of us so I think it should be plenty. I appreciate the input. Never cooked a porterhouse before so definitely don't want a well done tenderloin
  • I got a little excited looking at the pics.

My tongue got hard!

Possibly some of the best I've seen. $100 plate with a glass of wine. You just embarrassed some very good steakhouses. Wow!

Not $100/plate - merely priceless!

SRF is my favorite place to go for special cooks, actually any cook!!!  Very nicely done.  Based on your pic's, the next time you're in Paris order your steak "Saignant" or "Entre Saignant et à point".

Always act so that you can tell the truth about how you act.

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    I would eat my boot if it had that sauce on it.  Great looking steak and cook.  Thanks for sharing.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • That sauce is mesmerizing! Have you ever added mushrooms to it, just curious. Great job on the steak!

Definitely go with the cowboy ribeyes,  you can get a T-bone at Waffle House after the bachelor party is done...

LBGE 2015 - Atlanta
  • Grillmagic
    Grillmagic Posts: 1,600
    Some Beach!!!!
    Charlotte, Michigan XL BGE
  • Walt2015
    @MelSharples haven't added the mushrooms but id bet it would be even better. Cowboys it is!