Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pheasant

I got some Pheasant from my mother yesterday so had to have poultry twice this weekend. I have never tried Pheasant before and unfortunately was I a little low on time. 

The sous vide helped a lot here as I had no time to make food while the guests were here. I prepped potatoes, carrots and parsley root for the sv together with some butter and rosemary. The Pheasant came into another bag with more butter and rosemary/salt/pepper. All of this in the morning. 1  hour for the potatoes at 185, the last 30minutes together with the carrots, dumped it to 150 and gave the pheasant 30minutes.

The wife made some stuffed buns for the neighbors, this was the leftovers, unlucky me.

I seared the Pheasant on the mini in two batches running at 550

It ended up as a fairly good dinner, a little on the pale side in taste, the small smokiness from the char was a hit.

I should have added some glaze to the plate for the final touch but forgot.

Comments

• paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,660
    edited February 2015
    I never tasted pheasant. I agree that some sauce would probably have helped.

Looks like a hit to me. Were these field dressed breast only pheasants?
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • NPHuskerFL I must admit that I don't know how they were processed, I assume they were field dressed, my mothers neighbor enjoy going hunting more than eating what he shoots. I got the breasts and upper thighs only. 
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    That's about all you'll get out of them. Upper thighs and breast. Where were they harvested from? Gotta admit I'm a lil jelly right now. I absolutely love eating game birds. And even more so hunting them.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    That looks great!  Brings back days when I was a lot younger living in Central Oregon.
    Hunting quail within a 15 minute drive of my home.  Driving over to the eastern edge of the state to hunt pheasants like crazy.
    Great hunting , great eating, wish I'd had a BGE back then.
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • Chicklet
    Chicklet Posts: 205
    Yum!  I love me some pheasant.  I remember my dad  bringing it home and my mom would do some apple stuffed breasts and we would also do what I remember as almost a piccata - lightly breaded and sautéed with a cream sauce.  Not exactly "egg" material but so so good!  

I could see some apple stuffed breasts wrapped in some peppery bacon on the Egg.  Yum! 
    Eat, drink and be merry

Huntsville, AL ~ LBGE noob
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    Grilled with some fruit glaze is nice - like an orange juice reduction maybe with some ginger. My Mom always roasted them whole with an orange sauce that cut a bit of the gaminess.