Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: Knife Case Recommendations

Options
DMW
DMW Posts: 13,832
edited February 2015 in Off Topic
Looking for some advice here. I'm looking for a portable knife carrying case. 
Right now I keep my knives separate from our normal kitchens knives and I plan to continue that. However they are stored in their original boxes, etc. and not at all convenient to take with me or even get at the one I want.

Does anyone have a personal recommendation you like and use? My birthday is coming up and I'm thinking this would be a good idea for my wife/kids to get me.

Here is one I'm looking currently:

Edit:
Here is a shot of my current collection I'll need to house. Plus I expect upgrades/expansions as time goes on.

Thanks in advance,
They/Them
Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker

Comments

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Messermeister

Expert Recommended

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    How many knives? What kind? What is the longest?
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • DMW
    Options
    @cazzy Still building the collection. Longest currently is the Dexter slicer you recommended. I'm thinking room for at least 12. And extra space for other tools couldn't hurt (microplane, etc)
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • DMW
    Options
    @SmokeyPitt - Is that yours? Nice collection. I can't tell from the description and reviews on Amazon, does it have a zipper to close it all up, or is it just velcro to keep it closed?
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    Is that screenshot from Dexter?
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    There are many knife bags on Amazon I just looked at. Check them out.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Not sure on the cases but yes Dexters sure concealed his knives for several years.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • berndcrisp
    berndcrisp Posts: 1,166
    Options
    I have gotten by just fine with four knives for over forty years. Collecting kitchen sounds pretty sharp. What is the rarest, most coveted blade you own?
    Hood Stars, Wrist Crowns and Obsession Dobs!

• UrbanForestTurnings
    Options
    On your back. Grasshopperimage
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Just my opinion but the chefs with the roll-up bags are the coolest. Plus you are not taking 20 knives anywhere. 3 or 4 and a couple of accessories is all.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mickey
    Options
    Ps: EGGFESTS WARNING:::::: one or two MAX knives brought. People do not steal them, they just get mixed up elsewhere.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Mickey said:

Just my opinion but the chefs with the roll-up bags are the coolest. Plus you are not taking 20 knives anywhere. 3 or 4 and a couple of accessories is all.

I agree! I love these hard white plastic "knife safes" as they are called. Since this picture was taken I have tripled my collection of good knifes and all but two have these plastic cases. The other 2 min-swords have specialty sheaths.

here's a link to where I bought them, then back up to other types they sell.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    It was a screenshot from Dexter.  Yes I am a nerd.  

I like the Guy Fierie knives.  I saw some of those on Woot but they were sold out.  The cleaver was like $9.99...seemed like a great deal. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• bboulier
    bboulier Posts: 558
    Options
    I like the knife cases.  I just use a magnetized knife strip in the kitchen.  The advantage of this approach is that we have very limited drawer space.  The strip adds room and convenience.
    Weber Kettle, Weber Genesis Silver B, Medium Egg, KJ Classic (Black)
  • DMW
    Options
    @Mickey and @RRP - I hear you on not needing to transport the whole lot. The thing is, I need somewhere to keep them, even if they are in sheaths/blade guards. Right now they are in a shelf of my spice cabinet. I think a case just be more convenient, but I could be wrong about that. Will need to think it over.

Maybe it's just time to re-do the kitchen and lay it out how we want it...
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• Mickey
    Options

• DMW
    Options
    @Mickey - That's exactly what I would do, if I didn't have little ones in the house. The thought of one of them accidentally bumping a knife down and landing on their hand makes it a non-option. Our kitchen counters are catch all surfaces for everything from homework papers to cell phone chargers... 
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• Mickey
    Options
    DMW said:

@Mickey - That's exactly what I would do, if I didn't have little ones in the house. The thought of one of them accidentally bumping a knife down and landing on their hand makes it a non-option. Our kitchen counters are catch all surfaces for everything from homework papers to cell phone chargers... 

I understand. When the Granddaughters were younger we would take off the last 3/5 as to the right is a window seat

• Mickey
    Options
    I still can see that picture of CenTex's wife with the knife in her foot.

• DMW
    Options

It was a screenshot from Dexter.  Yes I am a nerd.  

I like the Guy Fierie knives.  I saw some of those on Woot but they were sold out.  The cleaver was like $9.99...seemed like a great deal. 

@SmokeyPitt - I got those on Woot. Great deal for decent knives, not super high end, first knives I purchased that weren't in the wooden block we got when we got married.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• RRP
    edited February 2015
    Options
    DMW said:

@Mickey - That's exactly what I would do, if I didn't have little ones in the house. The thought of one of them accidentally bumping a knife down and landing on their hand makes it a non-option. 

We don't have young ones, but my wife has always had a phobia about exposed knife racks. In fact I have built two concealed knife storage areas to make her happy. OTOH I have now convinced her by using these hard knife safes that I keep stuffed in a drawer. Even though you think they are jumbled the blades are protected and that's what I was after - convenience getting to and blade protection.
    Oh - the concealed drawer? Now you see it:
     and now you don't! The ol' false drawer bottom trick!
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,087
    Options
    @RRP very cool drawer! That is the best setup I have seen.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • RRP
    Options

@RRP very cool drawer! That is the best setup I have seen.

Thanks! What really helps to conceal the depth is that is the very bottom drawer so being further from the eye it helps to hide.Since that picture I have added more knives and a couple real pig stickers as I call them!
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,087
    Options
    Here is my setup. The cutting board slides in on its own runners right above the knives.

A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • RRP
    Options

Here is my setup. The cutting board slides in on its own runners right above the knives.

Cool!