Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First timer... Best of and how to's...need to knows.

Options
I am a first time user of the the Big Green Egg. I would love a forum for sharing of ideas, tips, techniques and just some good ole' knowledge. I am thirsty for tried and true ideas. Thanks to everyone.

Comments

• johnmitchell
    Options
    Welcome...On this forum you will get all of that and more...Divorce advice, am I an Alcoholic..and so on...Enjoy and we all love sharing cooks and pictures..
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Came to right place. Post what cooking a few hours before and ideas will be there.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Szucker
    Options
    Awesome! I don't have the qualifications for those types, but I am a 20 year veteran of professional kitchens. Big green eggs, not so much. I'd love all the knowledge I can get, about big green eggdom!
  • Szucker
    Options
    I got one. Doing 3.5# brisket and 2 racks of pork ribs. How much charcoal do I need?
  • Chubbs
    Options
    Fill it almost to the indirect stone with lump. You can mix smoking wood in or just throw chunks on top. For the brisket, I just throw her on with rub at 250-275 dome temp and leave her alone until probe slides in easily. I usually do whole packers instead of flats. Usually over 200 IT. What kind of ribs? Spares or baby backs? No need for a drip pan with water by the way. The egg provides plenty of moisture.
  • Tinyfish
    Tinyfish Posts: 1,755
    Options
    @Szucker for low and slow fill her up to the top of the fire ring. That will be way more then you need, just snuff the fire out when your done and mix the charcoal up and your ready to go the next time. You will only use what you need at the time. Tip, don't light to much charcoal at once for low and slow.
  • Szucker
    Options
    Baby backs. Was thinking of doing small pan with ginger ale. I also have apple wood that I'll mix in. Can't wait
  • Chubbs
    Options
    What size egg and what indirect setup do you have?
  • Szucker
    Options
    Large and I have a plate setter
  • cook861
    cook861 Posts: 872
    Options
    Welcome your cooking  profesion will help you out 
    Trenton ON 1 mbge for now
  • Chubbs
    Options
    Okay plate setter legs up and foil pan in the PS. Never heard of ginger ale. Just be careful to make sure the sugar in the ale doesn't burn and cause a bad smoke flavor.
  • Szucker
    Options
    I'll dilute it some. Great point
  • Chubbs
    Options
    Szucker said:

I'll dilute it some. Great point

Sounds good. Good luck.
  • Szucker
    Options
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,347
    edited February 2015
    Options
    @Szucker-Welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  Clearly you can impart a good bit of knowledge here with your cooking background-and we take all kinds of advice; what is done with it, who knows.

Regarding your question about the rib cook and timing-if you run at about 250-270*F on the calibrated dome you can eggspect around 5 or so hours til they pass the toothpick test.  Insert a toothpick into the thickest rib meat-no resistance and you are there.
    What follows is a whole lot of info that you may or may not find to be of use: Here’s a link to all things
    ceramic-chances are if you have a question the answer is within this site
    somewhere.  Check out the recipe section for some great ideas.
     http://www.nakedwhiz.com/nwindex.htm 

For additional links to
    cooking/recipe sites; here are two very good ones, depending what you are
    cooking:  This site contains a wealth of the science behind Q cooking
    along with info on about every type of meat cook you would attempt:
    http://amazingribs.com/

Here’s the second
    one:  http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/

After-market toys- With the
    BGE there are three basic styles of cooking;  “direct”-where the cooking
    grid is on top of the fire ring; “raised direct”-where the grid is elevated at
    least to the gasket-line (this setup requires after-market stuff-easiest is to
    get another grid and then use three fire bricks (or three empty aluminum beer
    cans) and place them on the grid at the fire ring and then put the second grid
    on top. The third is “indirect” where there is a heat deflector (platesetter or
    some other type stone) between the burning lump and the cooking grid. 
    This is the setup for low&slow long duration cooks.  I would get
    comfortable playing around with the BGE before any major after-market
    investments.  Will save you $$ in the long run.

Some observations-make sure
    you calibrate your dome thermo-boil some water, then insert the thermo and
    check the temp.  If not around 210*F, then note the off-set and use the
    nut on the back to correct.  Then recheck.

Temperature is a controlled
    by the volume of lump burning.  The volume is controlled by the air-flow
    thru the BGE.  In thru the bottom vent and out the top.  Make sure
    when you set it up that the fire box opening is aligned with the lower
    vent. 

When adjusting the vent(s)
    to change temperature, the feedback loop can take some time.  Changes in
    air-flow are reflected in the dome thermo temp.  Don’t chase temperature;
    +/- 10-15*F is close enough.

“Stable temperature” is a
    relative term.  Means you haven’t moved the vents and the temperature is
    steady for anywhere from 30-60 minutes.

That's more than enough for now!

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Lecky
    Lecky Posts: 60
    Options
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,836
    Options
    Welcome, your cooking profession will help ALL OF US out.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Szucker
    Options
    Thank you for that. Info. Keep it coming
  • Szucker
    Options
    I welcome any questions. Cooking is passion not a past time!
  • Chubbs
    Options
    What sides you making with this fine meal?
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Yorn desh born, der ritt de gitt der gue,
    Orn desh, dee born desh, de umn bork! bork! bork!

• Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    Make sure your drip pan is elevated from the plate setter a bit. It keeps whatever's in there (drippings, ginger ale) from burning and making bad smoke. I use 1/2" copper plumbing tees.
    Flint, Michigan
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options
    Anything you can make in a professional kitchen can likely be made on your egg...

Welcome, have fun... and above all, take and share pics!
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    If you are real: WELCOME!
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• jcaspary
    jcaspary Posts: 1,479
    Options
    Welcome aboard. Cooking is cooking. An Egg is another way to do it. Once you get used to setting temps your experience in the kitchen outshines a lot. Key is to have fun and as others have said take pics and share them.
    XL BGE, LG BGE, and a hunger to grill everything in sight!!!
    Joe- Strongsville, OH
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Most important (if you value your eyebrows) is to "BURP" every time you open the Egg. Also check the tightness of the bolts holding the top on once a month at first.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Welcome.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Welcome! Much great egg-advice has already been shared. I look forward to learning from you!
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • PNWFoodie
    PNWFoodie Posts: 1,046
    Options
    Welcome! Enjoy the wonderful dysfunctional family we are. :)@Mickey what are these bolts of which you speak?
    XL, JR, and more accessories than anyone would ever need near Olympia, WA
    Sandy
  • Szucker
    Options
    I had a great first smoke. I think I used a little too much wood but the ribs tasted nice. After the 4 one the smoke taste got to be a little bitter tasting. I'm thinking too long or too much wood. I did 1.5 hrs at 280 then 1.5 hrs flipped over then 45 minutes in foil basted with bbq. I think too much heat. Less wood and more time. Thoughts?