Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

got flap meat, now what do I do?

Options
The Virginian
The Virginian Posts: 275
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have a great piece of flap meat and I am looking for an equally great recipe for fajitas or whatever else you can do with this cut. What of you got?[p]Thanks,
Brett

Comments

• BBQfan1
    BBQfan1 Posts: 562
    Options
    The Virginian,
    Marinate in 1 oz Gentleman Jack. Coat with Swamp Venom or Firewalk. Indirect at 275 for 45 mins per side.
    Call 'em Flap Jacks! LOL
    Qfan
    sorry man, it's 3 am; that's all I gots.....

• Big Jim
    Options
    The Virginian, In a blender put:
    4 cloves garlic
    1 jalopeno pepper(seeds optional)
    cilantro to taste
    juice from 1 orange
    juice from 2 limes
    S & P to taste
    I also add some chipotle paste
    blend until liquid. Marinade for at least 2 hours, but less than 8 hrs. Grill at 600F until its to your liking.

• Eggecutioner
    Options
    The Virginian,[p]Tequila
    Lime Juice
    Lemon Juice
    Orange Juice
    Garlic (Lots and lots)
    Onions (1 large)
    Black Pepper
    Cilantro (a whole bunch)
    a little cumin
    Olive oil[p]And NO salt in the Marinade. Go light on the tequila or not at all. I have marinated it both with and without tequila, both are good.[p]
    Grind it all up in the food processor, then drizzle the olive oil in the running food processor to make a "paste" like mixture. It will be juicier than a paste, but you get the idea.[p]Smear it on the meat toss in fridge. I have heard that you can marinade too long and make the meat mushy. I have not had that issue and I have marinated for 9 hours one time and over night another time. I noticed no texture difference between the two. Both times it was choice grade flank steak from Sams.[p]I just did a sear on these at about 700 degrees over lave like coals, and it was cooked rare-ish. Throw in a chunk of mesquite for flavor.[p]
    Salt the beef while its cooking. After the juices start to come out one side, salt it, wait for the salt to liquify, then flip it. Repeat for other side.[p]

P2040458.jpg

P2050461.jpg

P2050462.jpg