Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

another FUN 30 minute mozzarella making effort

Options
RRP
RRP Posts: 25,888
edited February 2015 in Off Topic
I just love making my own cheese since it is so fresh and tasty! A half pound of this will be used on my pizza tomorrow night. Here is the end result picture - I know nothing exciting about it.

Early on it looked like this as the curds formed.

It's starting to get stringy

here I'm wringing out the whey

Just about finished and it's been under 30 minutes!

Note the black line on the container of the level of whey poured back in. Use of that is another topic!
Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    If you build it, we will come...
  • jcaspary
    jcaspary Posts: 1,479
    Options
    Nothing exciting???  My grandfather made his own provolone when I was a kid.  It was the best cheese I have ever eaten.  Brings back great memories.
    XL BGE, LG BGE, and a hunger to grill everything in sight!!!
    Joe- Strongsville, OH
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,760
    Options
    @RRP please post the process....great job, this is cooking
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • RRP
    Options
    @RRP please post the process....great job, this is cooking
    Thanks - here's the recipe I followed.

30 Minute Mozzarella

This is a summary of a recipe from a library book entitled Recipes For All Types Of Cheese

Ingredients needed:

1 gallon whole milk that has not been ultra-pasteurized

¼ teaspoon  liquid rennet (or ¼ rennet tablet) diluted in ¼ cup cool, unchlorinated water

1 teaspoon cheese salt (optional) BTW un-idolized Kosher salt is a fine substitute.

2 level teaspoons citric acid (powder)

Method:

1. Add citric acid to milk and mix thoroughly

2. heat the milk to 88° - I used my Thermapen

3. gently stir in the diluted rennet using an up and down motion and continue heating to 105°. Turn off heat and let curd set for a few minutes – I let it go for 4 minutes

4. The curds should look like thick yogurt. If the whey is still milky white instead of yellowish wait a few more minutes.

5. scoop out the curds with a slotted spoon into a 2 quart microwaveable bowl. Press the curds gently with your hands pouring off as much whey as possible. Reserve the whey.

6. microwave the curds for 1 minute on high. Drain off the whey and quickly work the hot cheese into a ball with a spoon or your hands using rubber gloves for protection.

7. microwave two more times for 35 seconds each time draining off the whey and working the cheese.

8.  knead the cheese quickly like bread dough until it is smooth. Sprinkle on the salt if desired while kneading and stretching. When the cheese stretches like taffy it is done, but if the curds break you need to reheat them again.

9. when the cheese is smooth and shiny it is ready to eat. If you want to eat it later cover it and refrigerate.

Yield: ¾ to 1 pound

Use of the by product of whey is a whole other venture.

Recipe recap made by RRP.

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,760
    Options
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
  • RRP
    Options
    This will sound like I'm bragging I guess, but I swear this was my best batch ever. The fresher the milk the better, but there is also a fine line about over working the curds as they will start to get tough and chewy, but OTOH if underdone it is too runny. Guess I better go buy a lotto ticket as I had the touch tonight!
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    Thanks Ron.  Man, the learning curve seems to be never ending on this forum.  But I like it.
    Phoenix 
  • johnkitchens
    Options
    You are a true Renaissance Man Ron. I never knew that you made cheese! 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • RRP
    Options

You are a true Renaissance Man Ron. I never knew that you made cheese! 

LOL - I cut the cheese too!
  • johnkitchens
    Options
    RRP said:

LOL - I cut the cheese too!
    A man of many talents!!!!!!!!!! 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Might try this Ron. Do you feel it's cost effective in comparison to purchasing bulk 4 pks from like Sam's Club or BJs wholesale? I know which one is fresher ;)
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Great post, great instructions, great pics, and great job. Would have been great on my pizza pie tonight
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Tinyfish
    Tinyfish Posts: 1,755
    Options
    Thanks RRP that would be great on my already delicious pizza. If I do make the cheese my pizza's will have to be called RRPza.

Now I have to buy a microwave. ..
  • RRP
    Options

Might try this Ron. Do you feel it's cost effective in comparison to purchasing bulk 4 pks from like Sam's Club or BJs wholesale? I know which one is fresher ;)

I haven't priced it but I will. Seeing the commercial production has volume pricing on their side they still have labor plus a need for profit. In my case I pay retail for the milk at $4.28 for the gallon,and only get right under 1 pound of cheese, but no labor cost. The renet runs $10 for a tiny 50 mg bottle, but it only takes 1/4 of a teaspoon per gallon.

I don't make this for every pizza, but now and then - but when I do the freshness is the reward itself! It also is so tasty as a snack which will probably be what happens to the rest of this ball. Thin slices on crackers topped with this and that makes the mere 30 minute effort worth while!
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Ron... It wasn't a dis i was just curious. I'll definitely give this a go in the future. Thanks for the share. ;)
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,471
    Options
    Whey to go!  
    I have a cheesemaking kit in the cupboard and still haven't tried it; still have three days left in my weekend so.... 

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• RRP
    Options

Ron... It wasn't a dis i was just curious. I'll definitely give this a go in the future. Thanks for the share. ;)

oh, I never thought you were knocking me! Making this cheese several times a year keeps it special. If I did it all the time it would be too routine...besides I have found a new brand that our local Kroger carries called Murray's and that company makes some great cheeses! BTW don't run right out to your Kroger as so far only 130 Kroger stores in the US is carrying these great Murray's cheese products!
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    Got to say that this is the cheesiest thread I've read lately.

Yes, and Ron had to tell me about the Murray's cheeses.  My wife ran right out to our local Krogers only to find NOTHING.  So, a few e-mails later Ron reports the problem of limited distribution.

Actually it's kind of neat to see homemade cheese.  Got to resist though.  Been down the homemade beer route ... and the homemade wine ... and the homemade venison sausage ... and home cast bullets ... and reloading ... and making kites ... and ... and ...    

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• RRP
    Options
    I hear you...guess I added this thread today for the younger folk here. Being Valentine Day weekend and all then here was something to do for 30 minutes that the results will be enjoyed and gone shortly vs. another "Little Johnny" 9 months from now!
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Thanks for posting Ron. I have the book "Making Artisan Cheese" on my bookshelf and I haven't even opened it yet. This makes me want to correct that.

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • RRP
    Options
    DMW said:

Thanks for posting Ron. I have the book "Making Artisan Cheese" on my bookshelf and I haven't even opened it yet. This makes me want to correct that.

I hear you as I too have those kind of unopened books. Maybe this simple recipe lifted from a library book might kick start your venture in to another food realm.
  • Spring Chicken
    Options

Well, you've convinced me to try making some too.  Not just yet though, still trying to make good bread and smoked salt and smoked cheese and ribs and chicken and steak and ..... well, just about everything.  But I'm learning.

Have you tried smoking it?  For all I know, mozzarella may not even smoke up good.  But since I like mozzarella without smoke, it won't go to waste.

Thanks for sharing.

Spring "On The Job Learning" Chicken

Spring Texas USA

• RRP
    Options

Well, you've convinced me to try making some too.  Not just yet though, still trying to make good bread and smoked salt and smoked cheese and ribs and chicken and steak and ..... well, just about everything.  But I'm learning.

Have you tried smoking it?  For all I know, mozzarella may not even smoke up good.  But since I like mozzarella without smoke, it won't go to waste.

Thanks for sharing.

Spring "On The Job Learning" Chicken

Spring Texas USA

Leroy, years ago I always bought a twisted rope piece of smoked mozz. Since I have been making this I never have enough left in a day or two to slap my forehead and yell...I ought to smoke this. Maybe later!
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    edited February 2015
    Options
    That's cool (not as much as making bacon, but still cool) :) I may try it one day!

Options
    Nice Ron and thanks. You're my hero.
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • RRP
    Options

Got to say that this is the cheesiest thread I've read lately.

Yes, and Ron had to tell me about the Murray's cheeses.  My wife ran right out to our local Krogers only to find NOTHING.  So, a few e-mails later Ron reports the problem of limited distribution.

Actually it's kind of neat to see homemade cheese.  Got to resist though.  Been down the homemade beer route ... and the homemade wine ... and the homemade venison sausage ... and home cast bullets ... and reloading ... and making kites ... and ... and ...    

LOL - but, Tom...it only takes 30 minutes! Now if you do decide to try it you are going on another scavenger hunt trying to find the proper milk. There are only two sources of it in Peoria...HyVee sometimes carries it, but Pottstown Deli is a sure source. It's produced in Fairbury which is closer to you so maybe you can find other there. The brand is Kilgus.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,615
    Options
    @RRP what type of store carries citric acid powder and rennet?
  • Retired RailRoader
    Options
    Thanks for nothing Ron! My friends and family already think I'm crazy with me doing all sorts of BBQ. Making bacon (regular pork belly bacon, Canadian and Buckboard). Sausage making (Italian, breakfast, summer sausage. Snack sticks). Baking bread, pizzas and cakes. Now I have the urge to make cheese. I just ordered my cheese making supplies and I'm placing the blame for this entirely on you. Good or bad the hoard will be knocking on your door begging you not to give me anymore ideas.
    So many ideas, so little time, good thing I'm retired.
    Everyday is Saturday and tomorrow is always Sunday.
  • RRP
    Options

Thanks for nothing Ron! My friends and family already think I'm crazy with me doing all sorts of BBQ. Making bacon (regular pork belly bacon, Canadian and Buckboard). Sausage making (Italian, breakfast, summer sausage. Snack sticks). Baking bread, pizzas and cakes. Now I have the urge to make cheese. I just ordered my cheese making supplies and I'm placing the blame for this entirely on you. Good or bad the hoard will be knocking on your door begging you not to give me anymore ideas.
    So many ideas, so little time, good thing I'm retired.

Go ahead - beat me up - I'm a tough old bird too!