Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Any photographers on board?

Options
I have been enjoyed taking photos for several years but recently took a pretty long vacation from taking anything more than the occasional holiday or vacation photo.  
I do have some good equipment but I'm finding that I have forgotten a lot.  My daughter is playing HS soccer and I need some photo tips.  I've never taken real sports photos so I'm lost.  My big problem so far, from 2 games, is that my images are blurry.  I know part of my problem is that I am hand-holding this lens which is pretty heavy.  I could not find my monopod but I need a new one anyway.  
My rig consists of a Nikon D7000 and have a 70-200mm 2.8 lens and a 28-200mm 5.6 lens that I use for "everyday" shooting.  

Anyone have any good tips?  

meredith
Eat, drink and be merry

Huntsville, AL ~ LBGE noob

Comments

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,171
    edited February 2015
    Options
    What shutter speed were you shooting? You can manually adjust using the S mode. Also, make sure your VR settings are on.
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    edited February 2015
    Options
    No, you need to "stop action" so you need to have a fast shutter speed.

Switch your camera to shutter Priority (SP) and set your shutter speed to like 1/250th. Set your ISO to 100 That should stop action and allow you to hand hold.

Here's the thing, after you become comfortable stoping action, there are some cool techniques you can do. Adding a lil blur actually adds to a sports shot cause you can show a sense of movement in your pics. Like running legs or the kicking motion.

Google a technique called "panning" and this is where you would trail her with a shutter speed like 1/30th. When done right, this will keep her in focus, but blur out everything else. Key is, you have to move the cam at the same rate of speed.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,043
    Options
    If it is a kit lens stay away from both extremes on the zoom. The lens usually included in the kits tend to lose sharpness at the extreme zooms. Even if you stop the action as @Cazzy said your pictures will look a but blurry. If you back off and do as Cazzy suggests your pictures should be nice and sharp.

The D7000 sensor is better then a lot of the sub $1000 glass.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Chicklet
    Chicklet Posts: 205
    Options
    Thanks @cazzy.  I am going to head out to the fields this afternoon with another photog dad who takes incredible shots.  He's going to give me a little lesson.

I do need to re-read my book too.  We have a big tournament next weekend at the beach so I'm really wanting some decent shots of the girls.  

Eat, drink and be merry

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    cazzy said:

No, you need to "stop action" so you need to have a fast shutter speed.

Switch your camera to shutter Priority (SP) and set your shutter speed to like 1/250th. Set your ISO to 100 That should stop action and allow you to hand hold.

Here's the thing, after you become comfortable stoping action, there are some cool techniques you can do. Adding a lil blur actually adds to a sports shot cause you can show a sense of movement in your pics. Like running legs or the kicking motion.

Google a technique called "panning" and this is where you would trail her with a shutter speed like 1/30th. When done right, this will keep her in focus, but blur out everything else. Key is, you have to move the cam at the same rate of speed.

And all this time I thought you only knew how to take pics of things that were standing still...
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Chicklet
    Options
    Oh, and do you have any monopod recommendations?  I do have a mount on my big lens.  

m
    Eat, drink and be merry

• G_Dub
    G_Dub Posts: 13
    Options
    I shoot sports in manual mode at 800 ISO or higher depending on the lighting conditions. With your 2.8 lens do a spot meter on a players face for correct exposure by adjusting shutter speed. Try not to get below 400 shutter. You can also adjust up to 4.0 depth for a little better pic. while still isolating subject. Most tripods are good with three sections. Depends on what you want to spend.I have also used a cable shutter release to minimize shaking. Good luck and have fun.
  • G_Dub
    Options
    Sorry meant Monopod. Lol
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    For outdoors, you will want the fastest shutter at the lowest ISO... I really like to be twice my focal length or more for action shots. The faster the better to freeze the action. If you want to induce some blur then back off your shutter.

------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,471
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I agree with G Dub, set your lens at 2.8, Aperture priority, and don't be afraid of the higher ISOs.  Your 70-200 f2.8 is a great sports lens (I use mine for Nature shooting).  
    Can't make a monopod recommendation, I'm a Gitzo tripod fan but don't know if they even make monopods.    

Are you using autofocus, or manual?  I've never had much luck with autofocus, but I think your camera is newer than mine (D-200).  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• gerhardk
    gerhardk Posts: 942
    Options
    I agree with pumping up the ISO to 800 or more, in good light even older sensors will produce very little noise but the detail may suffer a little in newer cameras high ISO even in poor light gives great results.

Gerhard
  • tarheelmatt
    Options
    This was 1/2000th @ISO100
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • G_Dub
    Options
    Looks nice Tarheelmatt. I shoot more High School football with less than desirable lighting and would never get by with those settings. Also since subject is moving directly towards you that works. I would think with unpredictable direction of motion it would produce some blur. Most important is to use what works for you. Happy shooting.
  • G_Dub
    Options
    Oh boy. Sorry. Misread your post. Should NEVER get blue at 2000. lol. #oldeyes
  • tarheelmatt
    Options
    I use Aperture priority on most sports and set my min shutter to a respectable speed. I also use auto ISO so I can achieve that shutter speed.

One advantage of having a full frame camera is the handling of higher ISOs. It doesn't bother me to go ISO 6400 if need be.

For your case, use the 70-200 and shoot at 2.8. I wouldn't bother with your other lens.
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • tarheelmatt
    Options
    G_Dub said:

Looks nice Tarheelmatt. I shoot more High School football with less than desirable lighting and would never get by with those settings. Also since subject is moving directly towards you that works. I would think with unpredictable direction of motion it would produce some blur. Most important is to use what works for you. Happy shooting.

I shoot for a local website for high school sports and you're right in some football staduims, I'll be lucky to hit 1/500th @ ISO6400.
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • cazzy
    Options
    Nice shot Matt!!
  • cazzy
    Options
    I'm obviously an advocate of full control, but SP is a good start for someone who is struggling. Also, youth soccer isn't fast so 1/250th is a good start. Nothing like freezing the seams of a softball...again great shot Matt!

Like matt, I too always try to shoot with a low ISO.

This is a great thread for peeps trying to shoot sports!
  • tarheelmatt
    Options
    Thanks @cazzy. I used to shoot manual for sports just like I do with weddings and portraits, but through a photography forum a well known photog told me how he shot sports. I was surprised he did and found out most photogs on the sidelines shoot aperture priority.

On most newer cameras you can set the max ISO you're willing to go for your sensor. The D7k has this feature.

I don't want the camera to adjust the aperture, so I set what min shutter I want and the max ISO I am willing to go and it's as easy as that.
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    @hapster is a photographer too
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • tarheelmatt
    Options
    G_Dub said:

@Chicklet

I was on my mobile originally, but here is an example of some football using the technique I noted.  Football and soccer can be shot the same.  It was obviously dark plus with cycling lights.  If you take a three shot burst, you will get two bad white balanced shots and one good one (based on the 60 cycles).  It is tough to conditions.  You have to shoot for the love of shooting, not the money I will tell you that.  

Using D600 with 70-200 VRII @ 2.8 --- 1/400th of a sec. @ ISO 6400

Sorry for the watermark, but it serves well...

Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Chicklet
    Options
    Thanks @tarheelmatt.  We are headed to a soccer tourney this week so I'll have at least 3-4 games to shoot - day and night games.  I also just ordered a new monopod so should have that tomorrow.  I have a lot of practicing to do. 

I totally get the watermarking.  When I did shoot for a few bucks I got screwed more than once when I didn't watermark my images.  I would put a small one in the bottom for a really good shot and folks would just crop around it.  Funny how I saw one of my images in at the home of a "friend" who never paid me for that photo.  

Eat, drink and be merry

• Monty77
    Monty77 Posts: 667
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I was just about to chime in with some advice here, but @cazzy said it best.  The settings he described should be great for your outdoor soccer efforts.  Whenever possible, full control of the settings is ideal, but just getting started you can rely on the camera to determine the optimal settings for the pic.  You have the right gear, so its just a matter of getting comfortable with the panning and hand holding technique that will enable you to capture great images.  

I shoot lots of indoor and outdoor events, but indoors is much more difficult due to limited lighting, ie, Hockey and Basketball.  

Large BGE 2011, XL BGE 2015, Mini Max 2015, and member of the "North of the Border Smokin Squad" Canadian Outdoor Chef from London, Ontario, Canada

https://www.flickr.com/photos/monty77/

• cazzy
    Options
    Monty77 said:

I was just about to chime in with some advice here, but @cazzy said it best.  The settings he described should be great for your outdoor soccer efforts.  Whenever possible, full control of the settings is ideal, but just getting started you can rely on the camera to determine the optimal settings for the pic.  You have the right gear, so its just a matter of getting comfortable with the panning and hand holding technique that will enable you to capture great images.  

I shoot lots of indoor and outdoor events, but indoors is much more difficult due to limited lighting, ie, Hockey and Basketball.  

Not the first time I've seen the last shot...but man, I love it every freaking time. I can almost guarantee that guy has it on his wall! Nice shot!
  • Chicklet
    Options
    That is an awesome shot @monty77!  What focus he has on the rim!!!  

I'm excited about shooting this weekend.  I'll post some of my shots and I'm open to critique.  

Eat, drink and be merry

• tarheelmatt
    Options
    Great capture @Monty77.
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • gerhardk
    gerhardk Posts: 942
    Options
    Monty that is how I shot hockey as well, Camera on manual since the lighting was fairly even over the whole ring.  I would take a shot of the ice and set custom colour balance and most of the pictures where already way better than auto setting where everything on each picture is set a little different making corrections way more difficult.

I see you are from Delaware that is where I bought my egg, haven't regretted buying it ever.

Gerhard
  • Monty77
    Monty77 Posts: 667
    Options
    gerhardk said:

Monty that is how I shot hockey as well, Camera on manual since the lighting was fairly even over the whole ring.  I would take a shot of the ice and set custom colour balance and most of the pictures where already way better than auto setting where everything on each picture is set a little different making corrections way more difficult.

I see you are from Delaware that is where I bought my egg, haven't regretted buying it ever.

Gerhard

I wonder if we have met Gerhard? I do demonstration Egg cooks on weekends with Craig and Jim,  and sometimes help with sales as well.  I have been in Florida for the past 2 weeks avoiding winter, but missing my Egg greatly.  

If you are in store again this Spring, say hello, would love to put a face to the name!

Great technique on the white balance, most people do not do this important step and wonder why they get strange colourings.  I use a grey card before most of my shoots to ensure proper white balance.  Hockey I shoot for the fun and challenge, as for the Basketball, I am the team photographer for the NBL team, London Lightning that play out of the Bud Gardens.  It is a blast and I have been doing it for the four seasons the league has existed.  Players and families really appreciate the pics.   

Monty
    Large BGE 2011, XL BGE 2015, Mini Max 2015, and member of the "North of the Border Smokin Squad" Canadian Outdoor Chef from London, Ontario, Canada

https://www.flickr.com/photos/monty77/

• jeroldharter
    Options
    If you want to to stop motion then you need a fast shutter speed. Selecting shutter priority exposure mode (Tv) allows you to set a constant fast shutter speed, e.g. 1/250, 1/500. The camera automatically adjusts the aperture. Using Auto ISO is better for a beginner than using a fixed ISO, especially ISO 100 because that is very low and you will need a lot of ambient light.

Your camera has an APS-c sensor, i.e. a smaller than full frame sensor. Therefore, your lens focal lengths are effectively longer than their full frame designations. So your 200mm focal length is really ~300 mm relative to your sensor. That is very difficult to hand hold and get sharp photos. You really need a tripod, or at least a monopod.

Your 70-200/2.8 lens is the better of the 2 so I would use that one.

Any monopod will do. I use a Feisol carbon fiber monopod but you could pick up a $20 Manfrotto on eBay and it will be fine. It is nice to have a head on the monopod. A regular ball head is a bit much I think. I use a simple pivoting head like this:

I assume you are showing JPG files. RAW files allow much more manipulation after the shot, while JPG files are processed by the camera itself and allow a lesser degree of manipulation later. In any case, a good photo editing program like Lightroom is worth getting. If you are going to the effort of buying and using a 70-200/2.8 lens and the aesthetics of your photos are important then you will want more control of the final product.