Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

XL or Large BGE

Options

A store I know is selling of all their eggs.  I can buy a brand new XL (no stand) for $750 or a brand new Large for $600 (no stand either).  I just cook for me and my wife but do good a lot of ribs.  I thought the large w/ AR would do me ok.  what's ya'll thought?

Comments

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    I think I wish I lived where you live.
  • SaskEgger
    Options
    I'm new here as well, but from what I've cooked and read I think you're right, go with the large and AR. I have a large and am saving for the AR. Just not sure which AR yet.

Btw, great price . Without a stand the large egg is $1100 up here.
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,054
    Options
    I'd buy them both at those prices. Wow.
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    You'll have more in the large with ar than the XL
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Dyal_SC said:

This! Those prices are insane - is there a dead body inside the XL or something?
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    Dyal_SC said:

Beat me to it. You'll wind up wanting a second egg, or third....
  • cookingdude555
    Options

You'll have more in the large with ar than the XL

Yea agreed. It will cost more to get an ar and a large versus one xl. The XL does more, and 750 is a killer price. I'd buy both and forget about the ar. This coming from someone that has all three. 
  • sparky1
    Options

thank you for your inputs. 

• UrbanForestTurnings
    Options
    Wow on price. X large all the way. More room for whole meal cooks
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    XL. The fatter design allows for a much bigger fire grate thus increasing airflow. I find it much easier to control the temp on my XL than my medium. Jump on that XL before they change the price on you.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    The XL has a larger discount from normal pricing, at least around here. That said, I would buy both at those prices.

Where are you located and what is the store? If you decide to only buy one, I'm sure someone here would like the chance to pickup the other. I don't have a Large yet...

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • AUCE
    AUCE Posts: 890
    Options
    Go big or go home. Have an xl and happy i.went with it vs large.

I would much rather be able to say I was glad I did than wished I had........

XL owner and purveyor of pallette perfection...

Homosassa....Mecca of Florida

• Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    Both. No question about it.

Little Rock, AR

• jcaspary
    jcaspary Posts: 1,479
    Options
    If both is out of the question go XL.  You can always cook smaller items on the XL.  You can't cook bigger items on the L.  If you ever need it there is an AR for the XL. 
    XL BGE, LG BGE, and a hunger to grill everything in sight!!!
    Joe- Strongsville, OH
  • ads75
    ads75 Posts: 391
    Options
    I would get the large, 

Can add the AR later, but then that will be about the cost (or more) of the XL. How many ribs do you normally (or plan on) cooking at a time? I can lay two racks om my Large, no problem.
    Large BGE, Mini BGE
    Morgantown, PA
  • mgd_egg
    mgd_egg Posts: 476
    Options
    What an amazing deal! Would love to know where this is located....my large needs a little brother and/or sister.
    Lg & MM BGE, Humphrey’s Battle Box | Palatine, Illinois  
  • tksmoke
    tksmoke Posts: 776
    Options
    I agree with XL camp.  If you only have one Egg, I would say go with the largest one you can afford.  Especially if you like doing ribs, the XL is an excellent choice.  This is not to say that you can't do them on the large (or medium, or small, or MM); it's just easier on the XL.  At those prices, it really is a no brainer.  Even if you are thinking about a second Egg in the future, having the XL and a second Egg gives you lots of capability for a wider variety of cooking combinations.
    Santa Paula, CA
  • Roadpuke0
    Options
    Xl all the way!
    Plumbers local 130 chicago.     Why do today what you can do tomorrow

weapons: XL, Minie, old gasser, weber, v10 Bradley smoker and sometimes talent!

Bristol, Wisconsin 
  • dstearn
    dstearn Posts: 1,702
    Options
    sparky1 said:

A store I know is selling of all their eggs.  I can buy a brand new XL (no stand) for $750 or a brand new Large for $600 (no stand either).  I just cook for me and my wife but do good a lot of ribs.  I thought the large w/ AR would do me ok.  what's ya'll thought?

I was facing the same decision a few years ago. I went with the Xl because I wanted to be able to cook a few slabs of ribs without having to use rib racks. I also bought the BGE raised porcelain grate that I use for raised direct cooks.

You will appreciate the extra grid space if you decide to cook a whole packer brisket or pork butts.

• Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,054
    Options
    @sparky1 , you're killing us! Where is this store located? Us forum members would wipe them clean of their eggs if they're close enough.
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options

Buy the large. I cook for just me and SWMBO most of the time. Butt, Ribs, 7 qt. DO cooks, etc. 

XL is overkill IMHO and you will burn more lump than you need with the XL. 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• dstearn
    dstearn Posts: 1,702
    Options
    I like the extra space.
  • tbramse
    Options
    AUCE said:

Go big or go home. Have an xl and happy i.went with it vs large.

Second that. Glad I paid the extra money for the XL. Having said that, friggin buy both. You can turn and burn one on craiglist if you don't have a need for both. Discount on the XL is about 500 less than what I paid. 
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    I will take mine to FL for vacation and you will have a lot of trouble doing with an XL.... 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    plus all the toys for the Large
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• sparky1
    Options
    Y'all think I need the XL for just me and the wife? I only cook 2 to 3 racks of ribs at a time. It would give me some acreage for direct / indirect cooks. You guys and gals don't think it's over kill to get the XL for just two ppl?
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    sparky1 said:

Y'all think I need the XL for just me and the wife? I only cook 2 to 3 racks of ribs at a time. It would give me some acreage for direct / indirect cooks. You guys and gals don't think it's over kill to get the XL for just two ppl?

Absolutely not. You can do an awful lot on a large. More is not always better. If you had a family of 4-6 I would say go for the XL. Two of you plus entertaining the large will easily conquer that challenge. If you are one of those guys who just has to have the biggest, then fine go for it. Make no mistake, there is no reason the large won't work for you.
  • GATABITES
    GATABITES Posts: 1,260
    Options
    @SPARKY - This is going to be a decision you will have to conclude on your own. We all have a biased opinion on which size to purchase. Those of us who have the XL will say get the XL and those with L will say go with L. 

You said one thing to me that make me recommend the XL; you cook a lot of ribs. I too cook a lot of ribs and the XL makes it so much easier without a rib rack. Then if you get the AR you can cook 9-10 racks laying flat. Here is a pic of the XL from CGS's website loaded with ribs. 
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD
  • Froman
    Froman Posts: 201
    Options
    I've heard the XL uses more lump and takes longer to heat up. I have a large and it works great for my family.

One of the reasons I got a mini max as a second was to heat up faster.

Maybe think ahead to if you will get a second egg? And then if you do what combination you would rather have. I never thought I would get a second :)

Two eggs are nice for cooking different types of things at the same time. And a smaller one is nice when you don't need the area.

Buying both would be awesome! I paid more for my large and mini max!

If I was doing it over I'd have a mm as my main and an xl for my other.

You probably can't go wrong with either though.
  • Chowman
    Chowman Posts: 159
    Options
    I am the new owner of a large. I had to use a rib rack to do 3 racks of baby backs, split into 6 half racks. It worked great, but I had to clean up the rib rack and if you don't want that hassle on a regular basis then get the XL. Also I have heard the XL is better for reverse sear because you can make 2 zones, one indirect ?
    I also am mostly cooking for two of us and the large is perfect on an everyday basis. Tough decision.