Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mini Max Design Flaw?

Options
13»

Comments

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    @lit it's totally a legitimate gripe. I actually called the day I got mine because I felt it just didn't seem to fit like other eggs. Was told that the ring was that of a small and the box was new for the MM. It never effected the choking whether hot or L&S so, I never thought about it much. And with the WOO it fits fine.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options

Here's some food for thought. If BGE does redesign the fire ring and grid sizing will they be willing to provide every person that has already purchased with the mods. :-?

You know it would be 6months ETA. Lol. Sorry @NPHuskerFL - couldn't resist and I don't even have a MM.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    @NPHuskerFL that's part of the problem I haven't ordered the woo yet. I was using the Jr parts in the MM but sold the Jr to put towards another smoker. Really need to get the woo and that'll fix the grate issue.
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    @lit the WOO stays in mine. I bought it for raised direct, raised indirect etc and had it about two weeks after I got the MM. I already had the PS so, I only bought the WOO. Didn't buy the pkg deal just the WOO. Great product.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • FlashkaBob
    Options

Angry? @FlashkaBob :D

Whiskey that tastes like Rum!?! Okay now you've crossed the line! >:)

I double dog dare ya. Looks like we're about to have an international incident here. 

Just kidding.  
    :D    
    All I'm doing is generating conversation. I own a large and a small and am very pleased with both of them. Everything that I have seen from BGE has been eggscellent quality.... until they came up with the MM. I'm sure that each and every component in the MM is top quality however if the MM was the only ceramic grill that I ever saw, I would notice that the grill didn't fit and the fire ring didn't fit the firebox and I would think that this BBQ was a piece of crap and that whoever made it really doesn't have any quality control in their company and walk away. It can't possibly be a selling feature to anyone unfamiliar with the big green egg line of ceramic grills

@FlashkaBob ... l agree that the MM looks like it could use a unique fire ring that more closely matches the new fire bowl.  It sounds like it works great ... just doesn't match the attention to detail that the other sizes display. 

But, please don't imply that using out of country labor is an attempt to rip us off.  The company I retired from both manufactures and sells approximately half their product outside the USA.  Components for those products are manufactured where the best value of cost/quality/availability is provided.  That means that no product is totally "pure" in the country where it's sold.  It also serves to provide the customer with a great product at a reasonable price.

BGE is constantly making business decisions relative to balancing quality and cost.  Sending the manufacturing out of country doesn't mean that it's based only on cost.  It might be that it's the highest quality product available at a reasonable cost.  The company I worked for owns manufacturing facilities in Mexico that produce a high quality product and employ Mexican nationals who take pride in their work ... if the quality wasn't acceptable, facilities would be closed.

Sounds like I touched a nerve. That sir was un-intended. Please accept my apologies. In a lot of cases, what I said is accurate. I also said in my comments immediately above, that I believe that the ceramics are of eggscellent quality. It does piss me off somewhat when a company puts a product that is so obviously inferior to anything that they have put on the market previously and then demand top quality prices. 
    Once again sorry if I upset you with previous comments

1 large BGE, 2 small BGE, 3 Plate setters, 1 large cast iron grid, 1 pizza stone, 1 Stoker II Wifi, 1 BBQ Guru Digi-Q II, 1 Amaze N pellet smoker and 1 empty wallet.      Seaforth, On. Ca.

• NPHuskerFL
    Options
    @FlashkaBob :)>- lol.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    You guys know what happened to the cavemen who refused to cook with anything except perfectly round firewood? They died of **** starvation.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • FlashkaBob
    Options
    Mickey said:

shaw988 said:

Took my MM back to the new BGE store today to have them check the rocking firebox. The issue was the fire ring. They changed out the fire ring. That was helpful. However, the fire ring on the MM is the same as the Small. Therefore the bottom of the ring will not align with the top of the fire box. WYSIWYG.
    I know I am being overly picky, but for $600 you would think BGE would engineer a fire ring to fit the MM instead of re-purposing the small fire box
    . Just another example of cost out BS companies are foisting on thier customers.
    I know, I know, get over it and start cooking.

I have to agree. The company goes to the trouble of designing a new product because they know that they can sell them to BGE enthusiasts like us, not the first time buyer. Lets face it. The guy off the street isn't likely to cough up $600+ for some overweight charcoal BBQ when they could buy a Hibachi for about $50 or less unless they new the advantages of the BGE. Then the company wants to go on the cheap and use a ring that they don't have to spend money on to design. Who cares if it doesn't fit properly. They sure don't! BGE claims to be an American company yet contracts all of the labour out to Mexico where they can pay a wage of a buck or two and pocket the huge profits. I don't know for a fact but my guess is that BGE doesn't have any more than 50% of the purchase price invested in any of their products. And they can't afford to develop a new fire ring? WTF??? Those of you that have purchased the MM should be complaining to the mother ship until they change the fire ring to one that actually is made for the product that they're selling. That's my 2 cents.

you said: Those of you that have purchased the MM should be complaining to the mother ship until they change the fire ring to one that actually is made for the product that they're selling. That's my 2 cents.
    I am guessing you do not own a MM. With-out owning what is your 2 cents worth? You are typing lot and lots and lots of words. I would be interested if you put your money in the pot. The MM works just fine as it is. These are made to cook food and do just that very well. They are not Lexis needing high tolerances, they cook food. Damn good food.
    I agree with you on lots off things Mickey but not this one. The Big Green Egg IS the Lexus of the Ceramic grill world. If you are going to pay for the top quality, you have the right to expect the top quality. You would not bye a Lexus with a pair of Prius doors on it.

1 large BGE, 2 small BGE, 3 Plate setters, 1 large cast iron grid, 1 pizza stone, 1 Stoker II Wifi, 1 BBQ Guru Digi-Q II, 1 Amaze N pellet smoker and 1 empty wallet.      Seaforth, On. Ca.

• Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    @FlashkaBob ... no harm no foul ... we're still friends.  Thanks for the apology.

Those companies who only chase the lowest cost supplier usually go belly up.  Think we can agree on that.  I don't think BGE falls into that category.  As to introducing a new product that isn't up to standards ... well, even good companies sometimes stumble.  Maybe @Lit can convince them that some folks find the MM lacking.

Cheers.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• shaw988
    Options
    I plam to send a letter with my concerns to the the leadership at BGE. As many of you have stated, we need to voice our concerns. I met with a customer service gent at BGE today. He knows there is an issue but gave zero confidence there was any plans to rectify the problem.
    I have no doubt the MM will be a stellar performing Egg. Couple of tweaks- Woo and a quick shave on the ring and it will be fine.
    I just don't like subsidizing a company's incompetence to engineer a product properly with my money.
    XL and Mini Max. Lawrenceville, GA
  • FlashkaBob
    FlashkaBob Posts: 373
    edited February 2015
    Options

You guys know what happened to the cavemen who refused to cook with anything except perfectly round firewood? They died of **** starvation.

Like I said to Mickey above

I agree with you on lots off things Mickey but not this one. The Big Green Egg IS the Lexus of the Ceramic grill world. If you are going to pay for the top quality, you have the right to expect the top quality. You would not buy a Lexus with a pair of Prius doors on it. 

As far as you dropping a deuce, I'm sure that you would if you dropped your sausage into the fire   
    =)) =)) =))

• Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    Well, somebody in BGE knows about this thread ... they froze the "latest post" at 7:54pm ... it's slowly sinking down the list of threads.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• FlashkaBob
    Options
    shaw988 said:

I plam to send a letter with my concerns to the the leadership at BGE. As many of you have stated, we need to voice our concerns. I met with a customer service gent at BGE today. He knows there is an issue but gave zero confidence there was any plans to rectify the problem.
    I have no doubt the MM will be a stellar performing Egg. Couple of tweaks- Woo and a quick shave on the ring and it will be fine.
    I just don't like subsidizing a company's incompetence to engineer a product properly with my money.

agree

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    I guess I'd be concerned if I genuinely felt this issue was impacting my cooks. So far, she works like a champ.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    I just stumbled upon this. My only comment is to whoever mentioned that BGE "moved" manufacturing to Mexico. That's not the BGE history I recall. From what I have read Ed Fisher was importing clay kamados from Japan. When he decided to go to ceramic, he traveled and searched out the location with the most ceramic experience and highest quality product. This turned out to be Mexico, not the US. 

Also, @JohnInCarolina I think taking a dump in your ceramic cooker could be a very bad idea, especially if a clean burn is in process. 
    X_X
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • FlashkaBob
    Options
    Hey everyone. I enjoyed our exchange this evening. As far as I'm concerned, there was no real fighting here. A lot of ideas were exchanged on both sides of the issue. Some people are satisfied with their MM and love it. Others felt that BGE dropped the ball by releasing a product that would not normally pass anyone's quality control department. Everyone will at least agree that the MM as it is has not met the quality standard that BGE has been known for or at least that there is an issue related to the fire ring and the grill. The bottom line is that the issue has been brought to the surface which is a good thing. Hopefully BGE will have heard of this thread and will act on their customers opinions.

• NPHuskerFL
    edited February 2015
    Options
    What makes you think they'll modify the design with a couple of egghead's "concerned" letters. I agree they could've made the fire ring and cooking grid a better fit for those w/out the WOO. But, fix it? :-? You see how quickly the tag buttons were "fixed". :-\"
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • FlashkaBob
    Options

What makes you think they'll modify the design with a couple of egghead's "concerned" letters. I agree they could've made the fire ring and cooking grid a better fit for those w/out the WOO. But, fix it? :-? You see how quickly the tag buttons were "fixed". :-\"

You may be right. One can only hope. Sounds like you wanna keep arguing with me. :(

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
  • NPHuskerFL
    edited February 2015
    Options
    @FlashkaBob nope definitely not argumentative. I'm agreeing to disagree. ;)
    Why is the thread not moving? Simple answer. I just don't see them being too keen on wanting to ante up on a mod that'll cost em big $$$. I could be dead wrong though.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • FlashkaBob
    Options
    They have made mods in the past though, for instance the fire ring has been modified to accept the platesetter

• NPHuskerFL
    Options

They have made mods in the past though, for instance the fire ring has been modified to accept the platesetter

But, that mod was made prior to releasing it to distributors. Correct? Again I could be wrong. I dunno. I'd be surprised if they did do anything though.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • FlashkaBob
    Options
    It was a good discussion though

• FlashkaBob
    Options
    Actually, I got the fire ring that was prior to the mod

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options

Hey everyone. I enjoyed our exchange this evening. As far as I'm concerned, there was no real fighting here. A lot of ideas were exchanged on both sides of the issue. Some people are satisfied with their MM and love it. Others felt that BGE dropped the ball by releasing a product that would not normally pass anyone's quality control department. Everyone will at least agree that the MM as it is has not met the quality standard that BGE has been known for or at least that there is an issue related to the fire ring and the grill. The bottom line is that the issue has been brought to the surface which is a good thing. Hopefully BGE will have heard of this thread and will act on their customers opinions.

Once more. Do you have a Mini-Max?
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• FlashkaBob
    Options
    I believe I mentioned earlier that I have a large and a small.

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options

I believe I mentioned earlier that I have a large and a small.

Have you even seen or better yet cooked on one?
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    They changed the xl dome. Any specific reason they decided to do that?
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    Maroon 5 song " just like animals" fits this thread quite nice
    Seattle, WA