Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help with Bone-in Boston Butt

Options
Smokey
Smokey Posts: 2,468
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Haven't posted for a while (heck, I haven't Q'ed for even longer). This afternoon (3:00pm), I put a bone-in BB on the egg, thinking it would be done tomorrow about 5:00 or 6:00am. Its now 11:00pm and internal temp is 185* (dome temp's been steady at 250*). Sounds like a fast cooking/smoking time to me. Any thoughts?[p]Smokey

Comments

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    Smokey,[p]I can't help much on the cooking of a smaller butt. I'd move the probe around to verify that you are getting a good reading and at the same time get a feel for the doneness.[p]Best of luck,
    Spin

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    Smokey,[p]What size is the butt? I usually find it takes 2.5/hr per lb on average but smaller ones take about 3 hr/lb. Spin is probably right and the probe might be next to the bone which gets pretty hot and seems to help cook from the inside out. [p]Tim
  • Smokey
    Options
    Tim M,[p]All turned out well! Internal temp reach 200* at about midnight and I let it sit for 30-40 minutes. Then pulled it! Taste was very good (with anout 1/2 inch smoke ring).[p]Thanks![p]Smokey
  • Smokey
    Options
    Spin,[p]It was a 5.5lb butt and all turned out well! Internal temp reach 200* at about midnight and I let it sit for 30-40 minutes. Then pulled it! Taste was very good (with anout 1/2 inch smoke ring).[p]Thanks![p]Smokey