Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mini Max Design Flaw?

Options
Purchased my Mini Max at the new corporate headquarters here in Georgia today. The Max assembled with no issues. However, the firebox rocks and does not seat on the bottom of the base. Second, the fire ring is larger at the base than the firebox is at the top. This is creating a ridge that overlaps where the two join. On my  XL and Mini the fire box and fire ring transition nicely and form a nice line that lists outward toward the top. Lastly the grate is clearly smaller than the top of the fire ring leaving me to wonder if that will present issue when cooking. 
Spoke to the Customer Service folks at BGE, they asked me to bring it back tomorrow for a look. More on that tomorrow. 

Anyone with a Mini Max experiencing these issues? For $600, I think the fit and finish should be better. 
XL and Mini Max. Lawrenceville, GA

Comments

• CoalCreek
    Options
    Curious to hear replies, am thinking about splurging on a mini max with Uncle Sam money..
    Minneapolis, MN
  • jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    Picture?
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Options
    I think I've heard about these issues before. You might try a search on this forum.
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • shaw988
    Options
    Working on photos now. 
  • CoalCreek
    Options
    I wonder if there has been any issues directly related to said design flaw, if it's even a flaw.  No one on that thread specified having any actual problems besides being an OCD violation  :))
    Minneapolis, MN
  • shaw988
    Options
    Thanks for finding the discussion. More to come...
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    CoalCreek said:

Curious to hear replies, am thinking about splurging on a mini max with Uncle Sam money..

That's your money.
    NOLA
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    CoalCreek said:

I wonder if there has been any issues directly related to said design flaw, if it's even a flaw.  No one on that thread specified having any actual problems besides being an OCD violation  :))

Agree

My fire ring slides around, so what. When will it move besides a clean out?
    The grid does move, so did the minis. Use a woo and it helps.

Good luck my friend.
    Seattle, WA
  • shaw988
    Options

• SkinnyV
    Options
    I take everything back above =)) , your fire ring looks off. Other than that the grid will be slightly smaller still but yeah something looks off on that. Get it fixed, as I would too.
    Seattle, WA
  • SkinnyV
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Here's mine with the woo in, even then the ring looks to be a better size fit than what u have.
    Don't mind the other stuff, she's I the basement until I get a cover.
    Seattle, WA
  • shaw988
    Options
    Have the woo on the Mini and XL. Ordering tonight for the Max. Now that I see it isn't just my Max with issues, I can move on. Just need to get the firebox exchanged to stop the rock. 

M
  • shaw988
    Options
    Much appreciated! Will keep you posted on my excursion tomorrow to BGE HQ. 
  • shaw988
    Options
    Took my MM back to the new BGE store today to have them check the rocking firebox. The issue was the fire ring. They changed out the fire ring. That was helpful. However, the fire ring on the MM is the same as the Small. Therefore the bottom of the ring will not align with the top of the fire box. WYSIWYG.
    I know I am being overly picky, but for $600 you would think BGE would engineer a fire ring to fit the MM instead of re-purposing the small fire box. Just another example of cost out BS companies are foisting on thier customers.
    I know, I know, get over it and start cooking.
  • McStew
    McStew Posts: 965
    Options
    I took a grinder to the high spots on the bottom of the fire bowl it took about 30 seconds to fix. 
    Hermosa Beach CA 
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    It is crappy about the ring and firebox but even worse to me is how bad the cooking grate fits. They could have gone up to close to an 11" grate and it would have fit. Its been like 2 months since I lit my MM. I should use it more in the summer when we invite friends to the pool.
  • FlashkaBob
    FlashkaBob Posts: 373
    edited February 2015
    Options
    shaw988 said:

Took my MM back to the new BGE store today to have them check the rocking firebox. The issue was the fire ring. They changed out the fire ring. That was helpful. However, the fire ring on the MM is the same as the Small. Therefore the bottom of the ring will not align with the top of the fire box. WYSIWYG.
    I know I am being overly picky, but for $600 you would think BGE would engineer a fire ring to fit the MM instead of re-purposing the small fire box
    . Just another example of cost out BS companies are foisting on thier customers.
    I know, I know, get over it and start cooking.

I have to agree. The company goes to the trouble of designing a new product because they know that they can sell them to BGE enthusiasts like us, not the first time buyer. Lets face it. The guy off the street isn't likely to cough up $600+ for some overweight charcoal BBQ when they could buy a Hibachi for about $50 or less unless they new the advantages of the BGE. Then the company wants to go on the cheap and use a ring that they don't have to spend money on to design. Who cares if it doesn't fit properly. They sure don't! BGE claims to be an American company yet contracts all of the labour out to Mexico where they can pay a wage of a buck or two and pocket the huge profits. I don't know for a fact but my guess is that BGE doesn't have any more than 50% of the purchase price invested in any of their products. And they can't afford to develop a new fire ring? WTF??? Those of you that have purchased the MM should be complaining to the mother ship until they change the fire ring to one that actually is made for the product that they're selling. That's my 2 cents.

1 large BGE, 2 small BGE, 3 Plate setters, 1 large cast iron grid, 1 pizza stone, 1 Stoker II Wifi, 1 BBQ Guru Digi-Q II, 1 Amaze N pellet smoker and 1 empty wallet.      Seaforth, On. Ca.

• shaw988
    Options
    McStew
    McStew said:

I took a grinder to the high spots on the bottom of the fire bowl it took about 30 seconds to fix. 

You have inspired me...Headed to Depot tomorrow to get a grinder wheel.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Just start using it. It's all fine, it works. I have used the crap out of mine with NO issues. I do advise getting a Woo today. Mine is as you discribe, works just fine.
    photo IMG_1122_zps186bff79.jpg
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    @FlashkaBob for the record, BGE doesn't own the factory that manufactures the ceramics in Mexico. Not sure where the other parts come from, but likely they don't own that either. I suspect, but don't know, that they package and distribute their product and farm out the manufacturing.
  • FlashkaBob
    Options

@FlashkaBob for the record, BGE doesn't own the factory that manufactures the ceramics in Mexico. Not sure where the other parts come from, but likely they don't own that either. I suspect, but don't know, that they package and distribute their product and farm out the manufacturing.

That's pretty much what I was saying. The company says we are going to charge you the highest price on the market for our products but we are also going to farm out the whole thing to the lowest bidder. I am not against any company making as much profit as they can but when your products are very expensive to begin with, they should at least put the effort in to make it the best possible product instead of putting mis-matched pieces together and dumping them on the market to see if it flies. If the people don't demand the quality that they have payed for, then the quality over time will only get worse until they are no longer in business. What about your lifetime warranty then?

1 large BGE, 2 small BGE, 3 Plate setters, 1 large cast iron grid, 1 pizza stone, 1 Stoker II Wifi, 1 BBQ Guru Digi-Q II, 1 Amaze N pellet smoker and 1 empty wallet.      Seaforth, On. Ca.

• SkinnyV
    Options
    No worries and complaints from me , only used it once but ita going to get used like crazy once this weather clears.
    Seattle, WA
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    I'm sure somebody has already said this...the MM has a newly designed fire box but, has the exact same fire ring as the Small. Haven't had an issue with it but, I noticed this right away too. It's all good.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    edited February 2015
    Options
    @FlashkaBob don't disagree that a retool in the guts would of been nice, but the ceramic company is American with the majority of their production in the US. In fact, the only Mexican factory they own is that one.
  • SkinnyV
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Mexico > China
    That is all >:D<

"its real.....its real to me damn it"!
    Seattle, WA
  • FlashkaBob
    Options

I'm sure somebody has already said this...the MM has a newly designed fire box but, has the exact same fire ring as the Small. Haven't had an issue with it but, I noticed this right away too. It's all good.

And how nicely does the grid that came with your MM fit on the small fire ring? The saying that you get what you pay for is not true in this case. They give you a new egg design and did not follow through all the way to provide you with a re-designed package. They give you crap that works but doesn't match other parts. Grid does not match fire ring. Fire ring does not match fire box. That is pure BS.

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    @FlashkaBob no complaints on the fit but, I'm also using a WOO set-up. W/out the WOO I guess it's a lil loosey goosey. I'm very happy with the purchase.

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • SkinnyV
    Options
    Folks the stock grid on the mini fire ring moves just the same. There is no difference.

Seattle, WA
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    @SkinnyV that's not true I just went and checked. The mini has like an eighth of an inch space in the front if I slide the grate all the way back and the MM has an inch gap when I do that.