Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Quality of Filet - or any steak

Options
I just stopped at a butcher (not my usual store) and picked up a couple filets for an early Valentines dinner.  They were darker in couple compared to the other less expensive cuts.  I told him I wasn't sure about those filets since they were so much darker - he told me "they'll be better!  They are aged more so they'll have a better flavor!"

My experience told me that they were in the case longer and that's what he wanted to tell me to sell them.  I didn't think the aging process was just leaving it in the fridge but my options were limited and I bought them anyway.   :))

Does it really matter if they are that bright red color or are steaks still "good" when they get to the purple color?  I've attached the picture of the filets so you guys can see what I picked up.

Comments

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    peel off the nasty bacon and wrap them with butchers twine and cook away.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    The only reason meat appears bright red is the exposure to oxygen. Freshly cut beef will appear purple and then lighten as you leave it out. Dry-aging does lead to a darker appearance than fresh, in my experience.

Take them out of the plastic and leave them out for a bit before cooking. They should bighten right up.
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    How do they smell?  If it's rank you may want to consider tossing them.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    they usually discount those and put a managers special sticker on them. i like them better both taste wise and price wise. i wouldnt worry about the bacon either, you can eat bacon raw
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Dry aged beef is darker than fresh. As they dry age, the natural enzymes create more flavor, and that flavor is concentrated because of the water loss. Dry aged steaks can be very expen$$ive.
  • StellarEvo
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies.

@gdenby What exactly is dry aged beef?  I can't fathom this is the process that the meat I bought went through.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    yours was just sitting as a steak in the counter. dry age is aging the whole primal for 20 to 40 days uncovered in a refridgerated room and then cutting the steaks out. the steak you have sat in the counter for a couple days only and he probably should have discounted it because he wants that piece to move, not because it was going bad, just that folks like the red looking steak better
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • StellarEvo
    Options

yours was just sitting as a steak in the counter. dry age is aging the whole primal for 20 to 40 days uncovered in a refridgerated room and then cutting the steaks out. the steak you have sat in the counter for a couple days only and he probably should have discounted it because he wants that piece to move, not because it was going bad, just that folks like the red looking steak better

Makes perfect sense.  Thanks!  I'm grilling them up tonight.  I'll post the results.
  • MelSharples
    Options

Trust your nose, if they smell ok then fire away!

Dark red is better than grey any day.

Rhyme unintentional...

LBGE 2015 - Atlanta
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options

Trust your nose, if they smell ok then fire away!

Dark red is better than grey any day.

Rhyme unintentional...

Hey, why don't I just go eat some hay, make things out of clay, lay by the bay? I just may! What'd ya say?

-Happy Gilmore (1996) :P

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Angus1978
    Options
    <like>   Oh Happy Gilmore...."I eat pieces of **** like you for breakfast"
    LBGE and Primo XL Plano TX All right all right alllll riight
  • mlamb01
    mlamb01 Posts: 210
    Options
    Ever wonder why sometimes in the butcher case you will see some items covered in seasoning or breadcrumbs, such that you cannot see the surface?
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    He called the $hit poop
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL