Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Last minute advice before pulling trigger on Adjustable Rig

Options
Friends:  I can't tell you how valuable these forums have been to me in learning to use my large BGE.  I went the route of platesetter when I got the egg and now want to go the adjustable rig route.  Tom at Ceramic Grill Store was patient with my calls today and very helpful.  What I want to be able to do is pizza (thin and medium crust), 2 level cooking (for either two levels of things like drumsticks, or cooking veggies with the protein), 2 butts and ribs.

Tom suggested:  R&B Combo, Rig Extender with sliding D-grid adding the optional 13x17 oval grid (saves 10%). oval ring, 16" drip pan.  I already have a 16.25 stone that we use for pizza that I plan to use on top of the rig extender.

Am I missing anything??

Comments

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Get what Tom suggests and whip your card out.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Trust in the almighty Tom ^:)^  He'll steer you right.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,046
    Options
    Tom knows his stuff and doesn't oversell. Order what he said and then wait impatiently for it to be delivered.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • zapped82
    Options
    This sounds about the same as what I just ordered last week. I didn't get the oval ring, and I purchased the drip pan set with both sizes rather than just the 16". I also added a second set of the crossbars with slides. Could have gone with just the crossbars but for the little extra money, I opted for the slides as well. This enabled me to do the cook I just posted in my thread on the A/R. Stone at 1.5, drip pan at 3.0, oval rack at 4.5 and the sliding D-grid(or another oval) on the extender. Without the extra crossbars in that scenario, you would have to set drip pan right on the stone or set the stone on the fire ring (someone commented that you could do this but I haven't tried it).

I've only used it once so I'm limited on my experience but after seeing it, I like what I bought but will most likely add the spider and round stone in the future for more versatility. 
  • tonyled
    tonyled Posts: 536
    Options
    zapped82 said:

This sounds about the same as what I just ordered last week. I didn't get the oval ring, and I purchased the drip pan set with both sizes rather than just the 16". I also added a second set of the crossbars with slides.

i just ordered this same setup.  i have no desire to reuse a drip pan so i just use disposable aluminum ones
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    Ordering from Tom is not a one time thing ... honest!  Shipping is fast and reasonable, so if you missed something just order it later.  Also, you might find that you use the rig just a little different than other folks ... but, you'll never know for sure until you get the stuff that Tom recommended in your egg and start using it. 

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• Caymanite
    Options
    I also bought my large egg with the plate setter and contemplated the PSwoo vs the AR and went with the PSwoo and will buy the woo extender when it is available from Tom, as a second level, as I didn't want my my plate setter to just sit there.
    Large BGE - Jupiter, FL
  • milesvdustin
    Options

Excellent products from Tom. I went a little overboard with my purchase, but got everything i thought I might want all at once. VERY happy with my purchase!

I ended up with the customer combo, extender and d grid, two slide guides, two oval grids, oval stone, 16" drip pan added on. Covers every scenario I can think of.

Make sure you budget in extra meat in your grocery cost, I have been cooking twice as much since I got the Rig!

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• greenenvy
    Options
    I ordered the customer combo and only regrets were not getting the oval stone, and not getting a second pair of crossbars. Didn't understand at the time I ordered that the lower tier would not be accessible during the cook, but overall happy with the purchase and you will be too.

your body is not a temple, it's an amusement park. Enjoy the ride.” Anthony Bourdain, Kitchen Confidential

LBGE in SATX

• Ballardbbq
    Options
    Just do what Tom says, it always works. I went with the oval of everything. Love the oval ring. All I have to do is throw away foil rather than clean a drip pan. I hardly ever take the AR out of my BGE. It's a no-brainer just pull the trigger. 

Large, Medium & Mini-Max - Seattle & a Puget Sound Island

• Breti
    Breti Posts: 9
    Options
    Thanks everyone!

Just pulled the trigger on what Tom suggested (I eliminated the 16" drip pan, which was my idea in the first place).  But I did ad another set of crossbars and slide guides as Zapped82 suggested.

Let the impatient waiting begin....
  • texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    Options
    I have his drip pan. I wrap aluminum foil on top of it. Threw away and do it again on each use. Makes for easy clean up and is cheaper foil pans.

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options
    If you let Tom know what you cook and how you cook it he can tell you what you need. AR is a great rig.
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    Caymanite said:

I also bought my large egg with the plate setter and contemplated the PSwoo vs the AR and went with the PSwoo and will buy the woo extender when it is available from Tom, as a second level, as I didn't want my my plate setter to just sit there.

I wasnt aware he was designing a woo extender. I bought the PSwoo CI. I dont know if they can design an extender for it, but I would certainly buy one immediately.

Little Rock, AR

• Jeepster47
    Options
    @Biggreenpharmacist ... talked to Terri last Friday and was crying about the lack of an extender for the large PSWoo.  She commented that they had one figured out, but weren't ready to go into production with it yet.  Didn't bother her for a time estimate.

I was hoping for something around a 4.5 inch lift, but she mentioned that they would be sizing it for one of their standard grills.  With a standard 16.5 inch or 16 inch D grill, I don't think they'll go that high in the dome.

• Biggreenpharmacist
    Options

@Biggreenpharmacist ... talked to Terri last Friday and was crying about the lack of an extender for the large PSWoo.  She commented that they had one figured out, but weren't ready to go into production with it yet.  Didn't bother her for a time estimate.

I was hoping for something around a 4.5 inch lift, but she mentioned that they would be sizing it for one of their standard grills.  With a standard 16.5 inch or 16 inch D grill, I don't think they'll go that high in the dome.

Well, some is better than none I guess.

Little Rock, AR

• westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options

Tom will talk you out of what you don't need and help you get what you DO need, and do so in the least expensive way possible.  Follow his advice, he knows this stuff better than anyone.

• keepervodeflame
    keepervodeflame Posts: 353
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Tom is truly one of the good guys. I think you can take what he tells you to the bank. I have what your planning on getting and can tell you that it will help you turn out an excellent pizza along with almost every other cook you can think of. Truly great, quality made equipment. Only difference in my set up is that I prefer the BGE 14" pizza stones and use them exclusively. Also, I like having two 13 x 17" Brisket / Rib racks and I would also get a two pairs of extra cross bars. 
  • Breti
    Options
    Thanks keepervodeflame. My only "concern" if you even call it that is that we've been doing pizza with the platesetter and then a 16.5" stone elevated on grid using firebricks. The new setup will have my stone on top of the rig extender with no lower stone (Tom thought using lower oval stone might lead to hot spots on the upper stone). Just something I'll have to get used to. But it'll be fun trying!
  • Breti
    Options
    Oh: and my order shipped today (amazingly fast!). And now I wait...,
  • Jeepster47
    Options
    Breti said:

Thanks keepervodeflame. My only "concern" if you even call it that is that we've been doing pizza with the platesetter and then a 16.5" stone elevated on grid using firebricks. The new setup will have my stone on top of the rig extender with no lower stone (Tom thought using lower oval stone might lead to hot spots on the upper stone). Just something I'll have to get used to. But it'll be fun trying!

Why don't you continue to use your plate setter and a raised pizza stone?  The neat thing about the AR is that it will pull out as a unit.  Pull it out, install your plate setter and cook away.

If you want to use your AR, then buy an inexpensive base (red clay fired) for a flower pot.  Use your cross bars at the lowest setting and place the clay base on it for an improvised plate setter.  Size it to match or be slightly larger than your current plate setter center portion.

• SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    Rig pron tonight
    Seattle, WA
  • Breti
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestion Jeepster4.

And that's just cruel SkinnyV...taunting me like that ;)