Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Saw, touched, and tried to lift a M/M today...

Options
124»

Comments

• grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    Well said @Jeepster47 very wise
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• Nanook
    Nanook Posts: 846
    Options

grege345 said:

@Nanook hilarious!!!!!!! You doubled your spending in one paragraph

If you focus on the cost, then you'd never buy a small ... it's only $100 less than a medium.  And, if you're thinking about a medium, why not spend an additional $200 and get a second large.  Then all your equipment is interchangeable and mixable.  See how that rationalization works?

If I think about it long enough, I can justify almost anything! Lol
    GWN
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    @Nanook ... and I've often justified stuff I shouldn't have.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• tksmoke
    tksmoke Posts: 776
    Options
    The 2 large solution is one answer, but the beauty of the smaller eggs is that they are ready to go quickly.  The medium is ready to cook within 10 minutes of lighting (with the MAPP torch).  It comes up to temp real fast, and is very controllable.  My guess is that the MM has the same characteristics.  It would be interesting to quantify the differences.  Anyhow, that is why the medium gets so much love here.  Each has it's own strengths and weaknesses - 'taint an easy choice... 
    Santa Paula, CA
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,087
    Options
    My justification for most of my hobbies:

I could be at the bars or have a girlfriend.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • tisoypops
    Options
    Good point @tksmoke. I just have the LBGE and sometimes get jealous of how quickly yall talk about your egg coming to temp. OTOH, I still just use the bge starter cubes. Im sure that contributes to the long time it takes to warm up.
    LBGE | Conroe, TX
  • Nanook
    Options
    I don't know what the consensus of the Looftlighter is here, but I bought one the other day and I love it! Really shortens the time from lighting to ready to cook.
    GWN
  • tisoypops
    Options
    I know my dealer sells the looftlighter. I think like 70 or 80 bucks. I think I've heard someone else on here refer to it. But not many yet. I've been thinking about getting that after I run out of those cubes.
    LBGE | Conroe, TX
  • Nanook
    Options
    tisoypops said:

I know my dealer sells the looftlighter. I think like 70 or 80 bucks. I think I've heard someone else on here refer to it. But not many yet. I've been thinking about getting that after I run out of those cubes.

I think it was $89 here in Canada. I almost didn't buy it because of the price, but a box of BGE cubes is $8 I think. Since I light the Egg almost everyday, I figured it was worth the investment. There I go "justifying" again.....
    GWN
  • tisoypops
    Options
    :))
    LBGE | Conroe, TX
  • tisoypops
    Options
    I'll prolly use the same justification
    LBGE | Conroe, TX
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Lit said:

@RRP isn't the XL a pretty good seller? It seems like many people on the forum have one. I sold my large and kept my XL its a much better cooker in my opinion.

I can tell you we have not sold an XL in any of the past 4 Salado EggFests and have offered them. I think its the price and non portability factor. The Distributer told me the Medium was the slowest seller nationally. At the past 4 Fests we sell all the Larges and lots of Mini's (also been giving away 4 at each Fest). This year wanted to do the Mini-Max and will give away 2. Have lots of hands raised to buy the MM but Distributer will not guarantee delivery other than my two give a ways.
    My first Egg was a Small and used the hell out of it. But after adding a Large and Mini it was never used and I sold it to get the Mini-Max. Now with two Larges and the Mini plus a Mini-Max if I had to go down to only one Egg tomorrow it would be the Mini-Max.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options

grege345 said:

? @RRP

Steak&Shake is a local chain that uses a large griddle to cook burgers. Basically a large hot top similiar to your griddle.

Btw, your setup is awesome. I wouldn't regret a L for a second with that setup!

local? Let's see...80 year old chain in 27 states and 512 locations! LOL - yup, just some local greasy spoon! BTW I really do have a knock off S n S chili recipe that I swear you can't tell the difference in a blind taste test. It is NOT a recipe I personally came up with, but one I found years ago and it is truly a great knock off!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • RRP
    Options
    Mickey said:

Lit said:

@RRP isn't the XL a pretty good seller? It seems like many people on the forum have one. I sold my large and kept my XL its a much better cooker in my opinion.

I can tell you we have not sold an XL in any of the past 4 Salado EggFests and have offered them. I think its the price and non portability factor. The Distributer told me the Medium was the slowest seller nationally. At the past 4 Fests we sell all the Larges and lots of Mini's (also been giving away 4 at each Fest). This year wanted to do the Mini-Max and will give away 2. Have lots of hands raised to buy the MM but Distributer will not guarantee delivery other than my two give a ways.
    My first Egg was a Small and used the hell out of it. But after adding a Large and Mini it was never used and I sold it to get the Mini-Max. Now with two Larges and the Mini plus a Mini-Max if I had to go down to only one Egg tomorrow it would be the Mini-Max.

Mickey, I appreciate the feedback. I hear what you say about coming down to a one and only choice if that ever became our situation as well. It would be a coin tosser for sure, but I too would probably end up with a M/M at that point.. Seeing that by then I would not be trying to move it around, much less moving my arms that much and being able to stay awake long enough for a long cook! Fast, fearful and back to bed or whatever I could remember I was doing two hours before! In the mean time my 4 eggs will be getting used whenever I think the best one suits the need.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    @grege345 Nice set-up. How close are you to completion? Side note...where does the grease trap "slide" out on your Blackstone griddle?
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    I guess it all comes down to preference. I had 2 larges and I would keep the XL and mini over the 2 larges. I sold both larges by the way and kept the XL, MM, and mini. At this point the MM would be the first to go as it doesn't really serve any need I have. Not really portable like the mini and not large enough to cook for more than a couple people. To me the MM is kind of a lost soul and doesn't make much sense as a new addition. It has almost no gain over the small in portability why not just make a small carrier and redesign the firebox?
  • Crimsongator
    Options
    RRP said:

RRP said:

RRP said:

A MM has GOT to be more portable than a small, right? If not, I'm fixing to make a 500 buck mistake on the MM. Need input on this!!!!

I do NOT know, but your assumption makes sense. Based on what I saw, touched and have read the M/M is nothing but a small BGE with a truncated bottom, new stand and an inflated price.
    Is THIS sour grapes?

LOL - I knew sooner or later my arch nemisis in this world would smell blood on the water! How you doing, Gene?

I've been well. How about you? How's the family?
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Lit said:

Large outsells the XL two to one as a rule. XL is number two seller, miles behind the large. Both are great cookers.
  • RRP
    Options

Lit said:

Large outsells the XL two to one as a rule. XL is number two seller, miles behind the large. Both are great cookers.

I believe all that you say here based on the traffic I have personally handled over the past 13 years. What I also see is when someone does order for their XL then 50% of the time they also want one for their L. Of all the sizes the medium seems to be the least popular.
  • pgprescott
    Options
    RRP said:

Lit said:

I believe all that you say here based on the traffic I have personally handled over the past 13 years. What I also see is when someone does order for their XL then 50% of the time they also want one for their L. Of all the sizes the medium seems to be the least popular.
    The corporate sales data bears that out. I also believe the M is the least sold, but those who have one love them. I think it is just an easy up sell to the L.
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    @pgprescott ... are you ignoring the XXL in your list?  I would think that's the one with the lowest sales figures.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• pgprescott
    Options

@pgprescott ... are you ignoring the XXL in your list?  I would think that's the one with the lowest sales figures.

Yes, I am ignoring it. True that.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options

Lit said:

According to my dealer (Meadow Creek BBQ in PA) they sell about the same number of XL and L. Now in that general area of PA I would say families tend to be larger than the national average. This is Amish country after all.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    @NPHuskerFL winter has been brutal. Maybe it will be done in April if I'm lucky. Still have to face it, top it, plumbing etc. I do have a grease bin that came with it that sits right in front. Not pictured. I'd like to modify it but I think if I rig up any kind of tube it will clog up. Open for suggestions
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    @grege345 If this were in a commercial setting I would "maybe" pipe in a drain to a rolling dump waste oil can. If this was me I'd stick with what came with the unit so, long as it's accessible once everything is complete in the OD Kitchen. Biggest thing would be ensuring there is enough forward slope for grease drainage. This is gonna be a stellar kitchen man. Very nice!
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL