Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Big Green Egg Rentals

Options
We are going back to the beach this summer with the extended family.  My wife and I are also planning a coup d'etat to keep my mother-in-law from cooking the meals since she doesn't believe in seasoning, controls everyone's portions, and finds horrible recipes on Pinterest.  There is usually a gas grill at the rental house.  However, cooking on an EGG would be so much better.  Does anyone know of a company or dealer (particularly in the Isle of Palms or Charleston area) that rents EGGs for the week?  If not, someone feel free to start up a new business.  I would need it late May or Early June. Maybe an XL with platesetter and a stash of lump for a reasonable price, delivered and picked up.  Yes, I know I could theoretically haul my EGG, but the kids require so much crap that the Suburban is already full. 

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    I've never heard of someone renting an egg. Perhaps you could get a dealer to let you "demo" one for the week for a fee.

Another option is get a car-top carrier for some of the kid's crap and carve out space for your own egg.
  • johnkitchens
    Options
    BamaBrad said:

My wife and I are also planning a coup d'etat to keep my mother-in-law from cooking the meals since she doesn't believe in seasoning, controls everyone's portions, and finds horrible recipes on Pinterest.  

Your post cracks me up! My MIL is also a control freak. Not in that way, but in others. At my age is just white noise now, but for a long time it was a problem. 

I feel for you. Extended family vacations can be very stressful.  

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options

The question is what would you be willing to pay?

Weekly Rental Fee?

Pick-Up/Delivery Fee?

Insurance?

Lump Fee?

Does your property allow/have the right space for it?
    New Albany, Ohio 

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I haven't heard of this either.  It is probably a long shot- but maybe you could find a rental house that has an egg.  I googled:

"Charelston vacation rental big green egg"
    "isle of palms vacation rental big green egg"

Found a few hits on VRBO:

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• DaveRichardson
    Options
    This is an idea I'd love to run with. It'll take me about 10 years to convince SWMBO to let me do it. I can see covering a couple hundred miles of beach area for a territory.

Warranty coverage would more than not be approved for commercial use.

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• THEBuckeye
    Options
    I might beat you to it. 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options

+1 to what @SmokeyPitt posted.

If I were renting out an egg to a stranger, I would want the cost to replace it as a deposit, plus whatever rental charges. Delivery, setup, return of equipment would also need to be figured out.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • THEBuckeye
    Options

While he/she may be a stranger, a doubt you would have many first time Eggers and you could even weed out wannabe newbies. I would imagine it would be a great clientele that one would have a lot in common with given the love of Egg. 

I doubt getting a full deposit is reasonable - though it may be a business necessity. I'd look into some sort of insurance like for a rental car. 

XL's would be off the table to to weight constraints but it's fun to think about would If I'd want to carry smalls to larges - or just larges to capture a bigger rental fee. 

New Albany, Ohio 

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I would think the average joe would be interested in a gasser or at best, a kettle. When faced with an egg, most folks would have no idea how to use it. Or even how to light it! When I bought my egg, I had two 20 lb bags of Kingsford I wanted to give away. Took forever to find a friend of a friend who actually used charcoal! In a rental house? No way.

And no one would plunk down a grand as a deposit. LOL, if it "happens to crack" while you're using it, your deposit will be used to replace the part. Yeah right.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• 30yearegger
    Options
    You can do what we do. I cook everything for the week a week or two in advance and use the vacuum saver to freeze it. Dinner! Drop the bag in hot water. Done.
    Easley SC Go! Tigers
  • THEBuckeye
    Options

Eggers would rent Eggs. 

Eggers are not average Joe Gassers. 

New Albany, Ohio 

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options

You can do what we do. I cook everything for the week a week or two in advance and use the vacuum saver to freeze it. Dinner! Drop the bag in hot water. Done.

^^Great suggestion.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• finster
    finster Posts: 136
    Options
    I live five minutes off IOP and don't know of any dealers that rent eggs here. You do have plenty of dining options on Sullivan's and Mt P.
    MBGE in Charleston

• THEBuckeye
    Options

I don't think Isle of Palms/Mt. Pleasant is a big enough market. 

While there are some good places, you can't eat at Poe's every night! 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options

@THEBuckeye - good points. There's a reason I'm not a businessman!

This brings me back to the concept of a BGE B&B program, where willing eggheads advertise rooms for vacations/getaways and have their egg(s) available for the paying guests.

We stayed at a B&B in New Orleans in 2013 (Ashton's) and they had a medium BGE for guests to use. I thought that was a nice touch.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options

I don't think Isle of Palms/Mt. Pleasant is a big enough market. 

While there are some good places, you can't eat at Poe's every night! 
    What? You're one Ravenel bridge crossing from Charleston.
  • THEBuckeye
    Options

Depends if there are "designated" drivers! 
    ;))
    New Albany, Ohio 

• THEBuckeye
    Options

My sis and bro-in-law have shares in a house on IOP off 46th near the Citadel Beach House. 

When there for a week, we go into Charleston one night for a fancy night out. 

The house has a big ol' rusty gasser. I would rent an Egg and volunteer to cook most every night. 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    I will drive my large to you for a "fee" :D. 3 hours round trip for me
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    The house I am renting at Seaside in July comes with a Large so I will toss in the Mini-Max and be in business. Always before I had to haul a Large to Fl.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Romain
    Romain Posts: 52
    Options
    BamaBrad said:

We are going back to the beach this summer with the extended family.  My wife and I are also planning a coup d'etat to keep my mother-in-law from cooking the meals since she doesn't believe in seasoning, controls everyone's portions, and finds horrible recipes on Pinterest.  There is usually a gas grill at the rental house.  However, cooking on an EGG would be so much better.  Does anyone know of a company or dealer (particularly in the Isle of Palms or Charleston area) that rents EGGs for the week?  If not, someone feel free to start up a new business.  I would need it late May or Early June. Maybe an XL with platesetter and a stash of lump for a reasonable price, delivered and picked up.  Yes, I know I could theoretically haul my EGG, but the kids require so much crap that the Suburban is already full. 

I would think that you'd want the XXL. I'm pretty sure a MIL would fit into it.
    Romain Nowakowski Ashburn, VA
  • BamaBrad
    Options
    Thanks for all the great responses.  We will probably end of cooking in advance and freezing things.

Unfortunately, the MIL controls the choosing of the rental house as well.  One year I might rent my own.  With an EGG.  And no MIL.

However, to Romain's comment, even a 36 hour low and slow wouldn't tenderize an MIL.  At least not mine.  
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,741
    Options
    when i leave the area i just buy a cheap charcoal grill and some lump when i get there. kettle grills put out pretty descent food
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options

...Another option is get a car-top carrier for some of the kid's crap and carve out space for your own egg.
    That's a good idea.  If he gets a big enough car-top carrier he can fit the mother-in-law up there also!
    =))
    LBGE/Maryland
  • johnkitchens
    Options
    BamaBrad said:

One year I might rent my own.  With an EGG.  And no MIL.

Now you are talking! I have never vacationed with mine. I couldn't. I can't. I had rather french kiss a baboon than do that. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,727
    Options

BamaBrad said:

One year I might rent my own.  With an EGG.  And no MIL.

Now you are talking! I have never vacationed with mine. I couldn't. I can't. I had rather french kiss a baboon than do that. 

=))
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    I know you want the XL, because you are cooking for so many, but it sounds like a good reason to buy a Mini Max. At least you, your wife and kids could enjoy good meals. Another way to get back at the MIL. Mine is pretty good and loves most of the food I have cooked on it for her and FIL.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited February 2015
    Options

+1 on this. For what an egg rental would cost, put the money towards a sous vide circulator for warming up those egg cooked frozen vac packed wonders. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • THEBuckeye
    Options

Sounds rather boring. Good food, no doubt, but boring. 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• cookingdude555
    Options
    Whenever I head out with the family, I always look for weber kettles on Craigslist for the entire route we will be driving. I have had some negotiated before I leave even. Then when I'm done I sell it for ten bucks or just leave it for some lucky soul.