Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Just Some Stuff

Options

Sometimes life gets busy and sometimes life gets super busy. Some of you may recall that we had our first son Duke back in December after years of trying and like most Dad's, he melted my heart in a second. He's been keeping us busy. This was a picture my wife sent me yesterday. Not the best, but hey...what does a 2 month old do but sleep? And eat? And cry and poop? LOL

He might not go to Baylor, but he's been to Baylor. We stopped by on the way back from the ranch right after Christmas. Less than 3 weeks old.

Aside from that, I've been training on a new machine at work, a GC-MS, and taking on some Senior Chemist duties as we have a lady getting ready to retire this summer and I'm gunning hard for that job.

So, as can be expected cooking has taken somewhat of a back burner. Mainly simple meals that are easy to whip up, but we have used the Egg a bit.

Some half chickens from a while back

A steak that was in the freezer along with some rub that I got for Chirstmas. Honestly, can't remember if it was even any good.

Recently stopped by a BBQ joint that is on the way home from my work. Was in Texas top 50. And ranked in other places. I rank it as overranked. Meh at best.

Meshack? Yup...its a shack allright.

On a side note (and don't be distraced by the crappy tattoo) check that out. Two years ago (I think) I topped out at 217. Diabetes, high blood sugar, drinking too much and writing a food blog. YES, I think that food blog had a lot to do with it. Don't ever start a food blog. Ever. Well...no, never. Now down even more past that picture to 165. Gone from sizze 38 to a 34 and its starting to be too big!!

And just because its so much bettter than PBR @henapple

I'm gonna try and start posting more now when time permits. Think I'm Egging tonight. Maybe something healthy, like salmon, or maybe just some hot dogs. I don't know. The weather is beautiful, I feel like grilling and a cold beer sounds good right about now...

:D

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

Comments

• McStew
    McStew Posts: 965
    Options
    Congrats on the little one and the weight loss.  Like many others here I enjoy reading your blog!  Keep up the great work without overeating 
    Hermosa Beach CA 
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Lots of good stuff in this thread. Strong start with the Lil man (Awesome!). Nice set of delicious looking cooks. And only because you said don't be distracted... What is the tattoo? Lastly Dayumn that's a Texas sized beer. Good to see ya back Griff.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Thank you @McStew I'm debating on if the blog will ever get another post. It's been dead for so long and I've kinda lost the motivation and momentum to do anything with it. On the other hand, I feel like I should keep going. Maybe in a healthier direction. Or just a few unhealthy, decadant meals a month. I'm on the fence. Mabe I just need convincing.

Rowlett, Texas

• NPHuskerFL
    Options
    Where's the blog? Link? My advice on the weight loss is stay on a happy medium. Doing so will normally discourage gorging. HuskerMaMa is back on track herself. There are plenty of meals that can be egged that fall into the healthy, delicious and food Pr0N realm.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • Griffin
    Options
    @NPHuskerFL Feels good to be back. Started out as a peace sign inside a sun when i was in high school and under age. Then a dragon was added that wraps around it, but it was never colored in and the artist was new and didn't know what he was doing. Added too much detail and it all bled together. Looks like crap. Oh well. The beer was a Lone Star. Only a tall boy. We were trying out a place in Dallas called Goodfellows Beer Garden and Burger House since it was a nice day out and in the 70's. We followed that up by burning off some calories walking around White Rock Lake. :D

Rowlett, Texas

• Griffin
    Options
    The blog is where it's always been. Griffin's Grub. In my signature.

Rowlett, Texas

• NPHuskerFL
    Options
    Griffin said:

The blog is where it's always been. Griffin's Grub. In my signature.

Probably appeared to be a dumb question. Doggone mobile view doesn't show signature line. I'll check it out. Thanks.
    LIKE!!! The BBQ joint name GoodFellas (I know it's spelled differently :) ).

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    edited February 2015
    Options

Sorry BU got hosed in the playoffs (not!)

You're a lucky man. Teach the boy to eat from the Egg and you will teach him to Egg for life!

Pro-creation - Egg style.
    New Albany, Ohio 

• Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,052
    Options
    Cute lil fella u got there! :D Congrats on the weight loss too. Lookin' good!
  • Griffin
    Options

@THEBuckeye I could care less about BYU, I'ma BU alum. LOL. We screwed up in our bowl game. Again. Shows we weren't really good enough to be in the top 4.

You better believe he'll be Eggin as soon as he can.

:D

Rowlett, Texas

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Good to see you Griffin.  That pic of your son is too damn cute.  Congrats on the new new addition and on the weight loss!  I haven't seen the 160s in quite a few years. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options

Awesome comeback thread! :)

Great stuff, man. And I mean everything about it - your little guy, couple of cooks, being healthier. It sounds like a guy who's having a good life and I hope that's how it always is.

caliprince is 1yo old and I take him out to hang out with the eggs occasionally. He claps and cheers when I put stuff on to cook, so I think he's heading in the right direction!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options
    Great post.

The thing that cracked me up was the tiny windows and armed bars on that Meshacks BBQ place.   It's so good people are breaking in to steal the stuff!!!   (I've been to roadside food stands like that in urban areas and enjoy the experience and sometimes the food is good).
    LBGE/Maryland
  • Searat
    Searat Posts: 80
    Options
    Griffin corrupt them in your own image. Mines a Duke B Ball fan who doesn't like anything UNC blue; good rock-n-roll; low and slow butts; long term backpacker; with a enjoyment of wine and scotch.

You'll enjoy him later a lot more if he's as bad as you plus he'll help cover with mom after he learns the lesson of ice fishing

Enjoy every minute and keep the faith
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    Dude...congrats across the board. Your lil dude is handsome and you're looking great bro. Keep up the good work.

Our next edition comes in just 2 days. :D
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Grif, how long did you try? We never tried for one but wound up with 2. Within 18 months of each other.
  • bbqlearner
    Options
    Congrats Grif! Glad to see your thread again.

Houston, TX - Buddy LBGE, Don SBGE, Tiny Mini & Shiny Momma Pitts n Spitts

• Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,567
    Options

Congratulations man. You witnessed one of the best days of your life.

• GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    Options
    Duke is precious. Enjoy! ;;)
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • johnmitchell
    Options
    Great post..Congratulations on your son...The weight loss is awesome..Stay healthy for the young guy... =D>
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    Man what a great post. My oldest turns 13 on Thursday. Time flies. The weight loss is great too. Unfortunately I'm headed the other way since I joined this crew. X_X
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    It gets easie....
    Never mind it does not. 5 & 3 here luv it.
    Seattle, WA
  • Walt2015
    Walt2015 Posts: 583
    Options
    @Griffin congrats on the baby. Didn't know you were a chemist. I got my BS in chemistry ame worked on a GC-MS and GC-ECD in college. Also awesome job on the weight loss!
    Memphis, TN ----> Chattanooga, TN
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Good to hear from you. Glad you are well. Only got one question..... Are tots still in your diet????? @Henapple created A roux with PBR and injected tots with it. Sorry you missed it but wow!
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • TTC
    TTC Posts: 1,035
    Options
    Good to see you and your family are well. Always enjoyed your cooks. Cheers.
    XL BGE, Blackstone, Roccbox, Weber Gasser, Brown Water, Cigars --  Gallatin, TN

2001 Mastercraft Maristar 230 VRS

Ikon pass 

Colorado in the winter and the Lake in the Summer
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    Nice to see you around. Hope all is well with the little one. I agree about your blog. It has made me over eat as well.
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• Boileregger
    Options
    It'd be great if you kept the blog going with some healthy stuff. I like your recipes and my weight has been all over the place so I'd appreciate some new ideas!
  • texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    Options
    Glad to see everything is going well for you and yours.

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Glad to see you posting again buddy. Say hi to all for me. Hope to see you Mid-March in Salado.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.