Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wow, wow, wow, WOW!

Options

I'm amazed.  I've known about BGE for years, but never believed it made any difference.  I thought I could out-grill anyone with my Weber Performer and some quality lump, and certainly didn't need BGE.  Why would someone spend so much for a charcoal grill?  BGE is like a cult!  All those negative thoughts. 

The problem is, I had never actually eaten anything cooked on BGE. 

My brother-in-law has had a large egg for years.  He's not exactly known for his cooking, but of course everybody raves about his food from the egg.  His family moved a few hours away, so we got together for the holidays this last fall/winter.  I had just smoked an amazing bird for our Thanksgiving feast, and brother-in-law wanted my brine recipe because he wanted to do one for Christmas on BGE.  When I tasted his, it not only tasted like my smoked turkey, but also had this amazing grilled taste as well.  Then he did a ham.  Then he did some burgers and brats.  Then he did a butt.  I was sold.

I had to travel much of January, so I lurked here, learned a lot, and one week ago was able to come home and get a large from the local meat packer/BGE distributor.  So far in the last week, it has put out: Burgers; Spatchcock Roasting Hen; Boneless Leg of Lamb with homemade Naan; Burgers (again, I have kids who love burgers); and Chicken Bombs.  In the snow.   (No pictures, been too busy grilling, but I know the drill.)  I am blown away by the potential.  This thing is SO efficient, my learning curve is how to keep the temperature DOWN.  I absolutely LOVE it.

Oh, I have a well cared for dark green Weber Performer for sale if anyone's interested....

In dog beers, I've only had one.

Comments

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    Welcome to the forum, now slow down, relax and take some pics! :D
  • jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    Welcome.  Yeah, these things are pretty damn amazing!  Once you are hooked you spend a lot of time thinking about what you are going to cook next.  Wait till you get an Adjustable rRig Ribs and Brisket comboto go in that bad boy and maybe a wok!!  The possibilities are endless.....   
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    By the way, these jokers will spend your money faster than anyone else you know. Consider yourself warned.
  • johnmitchell
    Options
    Welcome and great post...You are also about to make a new friend....The Fed Ex delivery man...Once again welcome and enjoy.. :-c
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • johnkitchens
    Options
    Welcome to the forum @SwampBadger

BGE Corporate should use testimonials from this forum to help sell eggs. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,567
    Options
    Welcome. Get used to hearing "this is the best (insert anything here) I have ever eaten" from everyone.
  • texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    Options
    Everyone thinks I'm nuts. I've always been a good cook. so I guess no one gives the egg credit. Welcome to the group.

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    Welcome to the lifestyle!
    Flint, Michigan
  • cook861
    cook861 Posts: 872
    Options
    Welcome here gose your free time
    Trenton ON 1 mbge for now
  • AUCE
    AUCE Posts: 890
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I know...I know....my wife's convinced I'll be leaving her for another female egghead. I've told her not to worry unless she has an arsenal of eggs..lol
    Yes life certainly changes once you become indoctrinated into the cult. I've mentioned eggfest and she's like no way. The last thing I want to see is a bunch of middle-aged men surrounding a smoking egg in their underwear chanting in egg code.....
    A pointer on temp. Control.....start ramping her down about 75+ degrees before reaching optimum temp. After you get her going..Just my technique..works well

I would much rather be able to say I was glad I did than wished I had........

XL owner and purveyor of pallette perfection...

Homosassa....Mecca of Florida

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
    Welcome abord and enjoy the journey.  Sounds like you have jumped into the deep end and doing quite well.  Continue to enjoy.  And I would offer that you talk with your B-I-L about accessories before you invest in toys you don't need.  And yes, there are many toys with many $$ attached that can take care of discretionary income.  
     BTW-get your BIL to join the forum-more the merrier!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    Welcome to the forum ... have to second what @lousubcap says about talking with your BIL before buying lots of accessories. 

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    Welcome to team green. Where do you call home?
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Options
    Eggcellent!!
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Welcome aboard and let's see that homemade naan!! I made one good batch and lost the recipe. Hard to get the shape and thickness right. I think @Griffin tried naan too. Look forward to learning from you.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Hawg Fan
    Hawg Fan Posts: 1,517
    Options
    Welcome to the forum. Just a bunch of guys and a few gals that are hooked on cooking on the BGE.

Any road will take you there if you don't know where you're going.

Terry

Rockwall, TX
  • SwampBadger
    Options
    grege345 said:

Welcome to team green. Where do you call home?

Cross Plains, Wisconsin.

Thanks to all for the generous welcome. Already talked plenty with B-I-L on purchases, have a great starter stash to get me well on the way. I'm obviously already addicted.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,087
    Options

Oh, I have a well cared for dark green Weber Performer for sale if anyone's interested....

Don't get rid of the performer! It makes a great place to put your hot stones and grates!

( I'm a former Weber addict myself. I still have my OTG, WSM, and Genesis Silver)
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Eggerty
    Eggerty Posts: 220
    Options
    It's funny, SWMBO said to me a week ago that she has never seen me so excited to cook food.  Since my inception in November last year, I have wanted to fire my LBGE up every chance I get (3-4x a week).  SWMBO has started to call her my Mistress...
    LBGE - Nov/'14
    A Texan residing in Denver, CO.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Glad you found us. Welcome
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• jcaspary
    jcaspary Posts: 1,479
    Options
    Welcome!!! Cooking Judy got a lot more fun.
    XL BGE, LG BGE, and a hunger to grill everything in sight!!!
    Joe- Strongsville, OH
  • PNWFoodie
    PNWFoodie Posts: 1,046
    Options
    Welcome to the circus...I mean lifestyle. You'll learn a lot here...I know I have.
    XL, JR, and more accessories than anyone would ever need near Olympia, WA
    Sandy
    500 Posts: 3,177
    Options
    Welcome.  Be sure and put on your big boy drinking pants if you're gonna hang around here.
    Unless you have a problem with that.  Addiction isn't funny, so appologies if I offend.
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Welcome. The egg has you in its crosshairs...game.set.match. #addicted
    Enjoy ;)
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Welcome aboard!  I would keep the weber, unless you already have other cookers.  There are going to be times when the extra real estate might come in handy.  At least until you get your 2nd egg...

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,842
    Options

Welcome aboard!  I would keep the weber, unless you already have other cookers.  There are going to be times when the extra real estate might come in handy.  At least until you get your 2nd egg...

+1 on the welcome and the wisdom about the extra real estate. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• MelSharples
    Options
    Welcome! I was turned, err, joined about a month ago and have noticed my work is already suffering. What time I used to spend watching tv in  the evenings has been replaced with watching YouTube videos on how to spatchcock a chicken. I frequently find myself "burping" any door I open... 
    LBGE 2015 - Atlanta
  • warwoman
    warwoman Posts: 279
    Options

Welcome to the forum, now slow down, relax and take some pics! :D

Follow yolk's advice! Surrender to the fact that you have been infected with the "egg" disease. There is no known cure. Accept your fate....and enjoy! So many recipes......so little time!!!!!

From the NE Georgia Mountains! Me, SWMBO, and two spoiled ass Springers!
  • Eggingaround
    Options
    Welcome. Like you I was a Weber addict until I tasted food off the Egg. Kool-aid has been served.
    Mckinney, TX
    LBGE--AR with Rig extender 
    Mini Max