Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Saw, touched, and tried to lift a M/M today...

Options
RRP
RRP Posts: 25,895
This is NOT sour grapes! I still love my old small egg and my mini - even after I saw the Maxi Mini today in person for the first time. That little sucker sure is heavy! If I ever lose my beloved small which is my work horse egg then IF I can't buy a replacement THEN I would pop for a M/M. In looking back at my records I paid less for my small and mini combined and still had some dollars toward buying my Medium. ROCK out you M/M lovers, but don't hate us small and mini egg lovers! There's room for ALL of us here! OK?
Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    edited February 2015
    Options
    The wife doesn't know it yet, but I'm really contemplating a smaller portable egg for the summer. So, what say you Ron, owner of small and mini, toucher of minimax?

edit: family of four.
  • Tinyfish
    Tinyfish Posts: 1,755
    Options
    Hauling around MM gives you Mega Muscles.
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    I looked at a MM. I'll take the small all day long.

Little Rock, AR

• RRP
    Options
    I forget the weight they say about the M/M and MAYBE the fact it was sitting on a table at a height that meant it was straight across from me, but I could not lift the thing! I then tried with two hands on one side and I moved it, but, could never lift it at that angle or position. OTOH as I have said here before that using a Pot-Lifter I can dead weight lift my small and carry it like a duffle bag. As for paying $600 plus tax for a M/M then it's YOUR money so GO FOR IT!
  • RRP
    Options
    LOL - I have this "sinking feeling" about my thread!!!
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    RRP said:

I forget the weight they say about the M/M and MAYBE the fact it was sitting on a table at a height that meant it was straight across from me, but I could not lift the thing! I then tried with two hands on one side and I moved it, but, could never lift it at that angle or position. OTOH as I have said here before that using a Pot-Lifter I can dead weight lift my small and carry it like a duffle bag. As for paying $600 plus tax for a M/M then it's YOUR money so GO FOR IT!

I'm not looking to spend just to spend. I'd like a true objective view. I realize you haven't cooked on a mm, but having a small and mini, what is your opinion between the three for a portable solution for a family of four?
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    @RRP ... but the serial numbers on your two smaller eggs only have two digits ... things were cheaper in the 70's ... not a fair comparison.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Options
    A MM has GOT to be more portable than a small, right? If not, I'm fixing to make a 500 buck mistake on the MM. Need input on this!!!!
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    Options

RRP said:

I'm not looking to spend just to spend. I'd like a true objective view. I realize you haven't cooked on a mm, but having a small and mini, what is your opinion between the three for a portable solution for a family of four?
    Skip the mini especially if it's going to be used for a family of four. The mini is better suited for two people. I have a mini and two smalls. The smalls win all day long. I can't help with the Mini Max. I like how the small is up higher away from the lump. Sound's like the small isn't much heavier than the MM with the extra room inside

"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I think the MM is 10 lbs lighter, so it is a little more portable.  Although I can totally see Ron's point that with the potlifter might feel like less weight vs lifting a MM off of a table. 

It is also smaller so that could be an advantage for portability.  You could probably fit a MM in the trunk of a car.   I was surprised however to hear it was only 10 lbs lighter than the small.  It looks much smaller, so you would think they would have shaved more weight off of it.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• RRP
    Options

@RRP ... but the serial numbers on your two smaller eggs only have two digits ... things were cheaper in the 70's ... not a fair comparison.

Right - Tom...WAY back there in ANCIENT 2005!
  • RRP
    Options

A MM has GOT to be more portable than a small, right? If not, I'm fixing to make a 500 buck mistake on the MM. Need input on this!!!!

I do NOT know, but your assumption makes sense. Based on what I saw, touched and have read the M/M is nothing but a small BGE with a truncated bottom, new stand and an inflated price.
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    They're not light by any stretch. I can carry mine, even with the plate setter in, but it's an effort.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,089
    Options
    RRP said:

Right - Tom...WAY back there in ANCIENT 2005!
    Did they have talkies back in 2005? You know those newfangled moving pictures with sound.

They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • Jeepster47
    Options
    The advertized weight of the MM is 63 pounds, but I'd question if that includes the portable nest.  Thought my dealer mentioned 72 pounds with the nest.  The advertized weight of the small is 80 pounds ... doesn't include the nest. So, they are at least in the same ball park.

• Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Options
    Even if the MM is a sawed off version of the small, the shorter height is an advantage for hauling in the back of my truck or SUV. It might take two to swing that mofo up there, but at least I can close my truck bed lid, right?
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    The mini max is heavy for sure. I am 35 exercise and lift weights, it strained me no lie. I can move it though.
    The mini is nice and works for my family of four with 2 little ones, the mini max is a beautiful piece though. It beats the small on looks and portability.
    Seattle, WA
  • RRP
    Options
    @Jeepster47 and @Ozzie_Isaac

You father and son guys ever consider a tag-team wrestling team? Even at your combined ages you might be able to p*ss off your opponents  enough to get them to forfeit.
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    My small fits in my truck with a bedcover. Its a snug fit but it fits. And if I take the guts out I have no problem loading and unloading it. Hell most of the time to clean it out I pull the guts and pick it up and dump the ashes in the fire pit.

Little Rock, AR

• Ozzie_Isaac
    edited February 2015
    Options
    @RRP I didn't stand a chance growing up with @Jeepster47 . I assumed everyone communicated through sarcasm and ribbing.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • Jeepster47
    Options
    @Ozzie_Isaac ... yes, but you didn't have to take to it like the proverbial duck.

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Y'all crack me up :)) @Jeepster47 & @Ozzie_Isaac
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    I kept my Mini and used it yesterday.... I agree that the MM is heavy and taller than I expected. I love it, just saying.....
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• cookingdude555
    Options
    I have the small and the mini, but its so much easier taking these with me when I want to grill away from home:

I paid $25 for each of them at the end of season sale at Target.  Fantastic grills, same space as a large, and portability is excellent.  Eggs?  No, but I love Webers too.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,762
    Options
    RRP said:

was it really 600 bucks
    :)) my large was 500 bucks delivered for free from tennesee back in the days when bge was ok with internet orders. im gonna stick with my hundred dollar kub
    :D
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • RRP
    Options

RRP said:

was it really 600 bucks
    :)) my large was 500 bucks delivered for free from tennesee back in the days when bge was ok with internet orders. im gonna stick with my hundred dollar kub

actually $648 with tax. All I was trying to say was if people want it, then go for it...but I'll be here fat, dumb and happy with my "ancient" stable which includes the small and mini.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    edited February 2015
    Options
    RRP said:

RRP said:

was it really 600 bucks

actually $648 with tax. All I was trying to say was if people want it, then go for it...but I'll be here fat, dumb and happy with my "ancient" stable which includes the small and mini.
    "Stable" wow, I have a garage. You still have a stable! ;)

Couldn't resist .... anyway the minimax seems really cool. I like the handles on it, but for a person with a small not sure it is an upgrade. If you don't already have a small then the descision is much harder.
  • smasch
    smasch Posts: 115
    Options
    My dealer told me the MM weighs 80 pounds. My parents bought the MM for my 10 y/o daughter for Christmas. She cooks on it all of the time. I have done something well as a parent somewhere along the line.
    Owner of LBGE, Antique Komodo Green in Color. Proud Career Firefighter. Johns Creek / South Forsyth GA
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options

The wife doesn't know it yet, but I'm really contemplating a smaller portable egg for the summer. So, what say you Ron, owner of small and mini, toucher of minimax?

edit: family of four.
    You really didn't ask for my opinion, but I honestly feel the small is the overall better solution.  At only 10lbs less for the MM, why not.  Granted, I am a larger person, but there is always someone around to help if need be.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    smasch said:

My dealer told me the MM weighs 80 pounds. My parents bought the MM for my 10 y/o daughter for Christmas. She cooks on it all of the time. I have done something well as a parent somewhere along the line.

Can you adopt me?
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL