Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Is a Mop really necessary?

Options
I am smoking some baby backs this weekend.  Although I have my family's preference down (plain rub, low and slow, no foil, sauce for last twenty minutes), I do folks use mops after the first two hours, every hour.  I used to do spritz but stopped when I really didn't see a difference.

Since I glaze at the end with sauce, is a mop really necessary?  

Comments

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    I don't do a mop.  I think adding liquid and opening the lid will both affect your temperature more than the mop will help your ribs.

NOLA
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    Necessary? No. Do it if you want, but remember every time you open the lid you prolong the cook a little.

you just have to find what you like and stick to that.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I never could understand the "if you're lookin you ain't cookin" philosophy. It's true enough I guess, but so what? In a 5 hour cook (or more), how much difference can a few peeks possibly make?

Opening the cooker every so often to baste, taste or even just to look isn't going to matter much, especially with an egg. The ceramic will hold temp and bounce back quickly once the dome is closed.

If you like whatever a baste gives you, do it.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Turbo only and I don't mop.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,052
    Options
    I don't think it's necessary, especially with the moist heat that the BGE provides. And the fact that you're gonna sauce anyways. I do like the taste of a vinegary mop though if I'm doing dry ribs.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Peek, no peek, mop, spritz, glaze.....do whatever floats your boat.

:)) image
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options

I never could understand the "if you're lookin you ain't cookin" philosophy. It's true enough I guess, but so what? In a 5 hour cook (or more), how much difference can a few peeks possibly make?

Opening the cooker every so often to baste, taste or even just to look isn't going to matter much, especially with an egg. The ceramic will hold temp and bounce back quickly once the dome is closed.

If you like whatever a baste gives you, do it.

I suppose it matters on a less insulative cooker than a ceramic grill. Thin metal isn't going to hold onto heat as well and allowing the volume of air inside to escape and then having to reheat ambient air will prolong a cook on something else like a kettle grill.
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    I have been working on my ribs lately trying a few different techniques. I have yet to see a huge difference in mopping or not in the end product. If anything, like Dyal says I like a vinegar flavor on it. If I do it at the end I get the same result so I am in the no mop club.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    I've never mopped.

I've never spritzed. (well not counting on the gasser where I spritzed water to put out grease flame-ups).

Mop & spritz if you want, it's your cook, do it how you want to do it.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Serious note...I like a dry rub (mostly just S&P) and then the last 30-45 minutes I might hit them with BBQ sauce or a glaze. I don't see a HUGE benefit with the mop or spritz on the BGE.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    Options
    No mopping here.  Never found a need with the BGE.

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • Beaumonty
    Options
    Thanks.  I think i'll stick with the glaze and work on my son's baseball swing instead.  :)
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    mopping can wash the rub off the ribs if done often but ive had good luck turning the heat up at the end and mopping with a sugar based vinegar sauce, more of a high temp glazing and crisping
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Beaumonty
    Options

mopping can wash the rub off the ribs if done often but ive had good luck turning the heat up at the end and mopping with a sugar based vinegar sauce, more of a high temp glazing and crisping

That sounds like a great idea.  I am doing three racks.  I might try that on one because that's what we like, the crisp, glazed bark.  Just a normal vinegar bbq finishing sauce?  any recipe or example? i have been working on a homemade blackberry finishing sauce but it's more sweet than vinegar-y
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    Beaumonty said:

That sounds like a great idea.  I am doing three racks.  I might try that on one because that's what we like, the crisp, glazed bark.  Just a normal vinegar bbq finishing sauce?  any recipe or example? i have been working on a homemade blackberry finishing sauce but it's more sweet than vinegar-y
    i just take a standard north carolina vinegar sauce and add brown sugar. you can make the ribs ahead of time, foil and cooler to keep warm, then when its time crank it up to 450/500 and start working the mopp and flipping the ribs til they crisp up. i do this open dome with the bottom vent mostly shut down with some flames
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • gerhardk
    gerhardk Posts: 942
    Options
    I think mopping is a good way to wash off the rub.

Gerhard
    500 Posts: 3,177
    Options
    I've noticed that when I do open to check, I get a blast of moist air.  So, to me, I'm losing moisture every time I open the dome.  So I try to keep it at a minimum; therefor, no mop.
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • Coastalcooker
    Options
    I use a mop if I spill something on the floor.

Bob
    Cookin' on the coast
    Shellman Bluff, GA
    Medium BGE

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    I have a Labrador. Still no mop necessary.