Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Canadian Sugar Maple

I was in Lowes in Regina a couple of weeks back to by a Blackstone Pizza oven and I came accross some Canadian Sugar Maple. It is from Ste-Luce Quebec, I heard of it before but didn't think we could get it out west. I grabbed two bags at $17.00 a bag. Has anyone used this before and what did you think of it. I like the idea of buying a Canadian product and am thinking it is a by product of the maple syrup industry out there. I have to go back to Regina in April and was thinking of buying a pallet of it before the true BBQ starts and it disappears.
LBGE,Mini Max,Stoker Meadow Lake Sask.

Comments

• paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,660
    I use Basques Nature's own. 12.99 at Costco. I only have 2 bags left so I hope that they will have stock soon. If you can get your hands on Maple Leaf, it's the best in my opinion.

Yeah I use it mostly for my pork cooks. Nice smell and taste!
  • noregard
    noregard Posts: 306
    I've never seen it, but have read really good things about it.  They're building a Lowes here, maybe I'll have a 3rd (that's right THIRD!) option for lump in the near future.  Here's hoping.
    Lethbridge, Alberta         LBGE & MM
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Bet it would be good with hams
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    edited February 2015
    I bought 17 bags late last fall. They carry it at Giant Tiger. I was googling about where to buy different lump, as all I can get is RO. There was a Google page from GT that had the lump there. I called a local GT and they said they had it. I went with the intention of buying a couple of bags and came home with 17. They were on sale at the end of season for $5.60 for an 4 kg bag.
    I haven't tried it yet as I just bought a couple of 40 pounders from Amazon.
  • Hondabbq;
    Giant Tiger? who knew, can't say as I have been in one for 15 years or so. No idea they sold lump. Might have to drop in one next time I am in Saskatoon. They are building a Lowes in Saskatoon right now so it will be closer to get. I have a pork shoulder in the freezer just waiting for the mercury to get in the single digits so I can enjoy a beer while standing around the Egg. I will try it for sure before I stock up. Nice to find another supplier beside Royal Oak. I bought one bag of Wicked Good but had to morgage my house to get out of the store with it.
  • bigalsworth
    bigalsworth Posts: 685
    edited February 2015
    @SaskNortherner Reids home hardware has maple leaf lump

Edit: any home hardware carries it, and Reids is in Saskatoon.  You can also order it online for free shipping to the store, so if you have a home hardware in your location you can get it there
    Large BGE
    BBQ Guru DigiQ II

Martensville, Saskatchewan Canada
  • paqman said:

I use Basques Nature's own. 12.99 at Costco. I only have 2 bags left so I hope that they will have stock soon. If you can get your hands on Maple Leaf, it's the best in my opinion.

Concur with @paqman, Maple Leaf is the better of the the three. Basque's Nature's own is a bit better than the Sugar Maple, IMO. Maple Leaf is the better. You can get Maple Leaf at Home Hardware anywhere in Canada, I think. I pay between $18-$19 a bag for Maple Leaf here in the land of fruit and nuts. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Home hardware is one of the few stores we have in Meadow Lake. I don't think I have ever seen a bag of Maple Leaf Lump there but you can bet by the end of the summer they will be stocking it. We cook over birch in our fire pits all the time up here. Does it ever go on sale? I have a trip planned to Edmonton in April anyone know of any must stop BBQ suppliers there?
  • Just order it off the website and get it delivered to your store, that way you know it is there for sure
    Large BGE
    BBQ Guru DigiQ II

• Just order it off the website and get it delivered to your store, that way you know it is there for sure5

or better yet, talk to the store owner. I get as much as a 12% discount - pays the tax. He orders 10bags  and I drop by and pick it up the morning it arrives, his normal HH delivery day is Tuesday. The stuff never even makes it into the store, still on the dock when I pick it up. Good for both of us. 

For any who use briquettes, Maple Leaf briquettes are also very good. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Just order it off the website and get it delivered to your store, that way you know it is there for sure5

or better yet, talk to the store owner. I get as much as a 12% discount - pays the tax. He orders 10bags  and I drop by and pick it up the morning it arrives, his normal HH delivery day is Tuesday. The stuff never even makes it into the store, still on the dock when I pick it up. Good for both of us. 

For any who use briquettes, Maple Leaf briquettes are also very good. 
    That's a pretty good deal. Not sure I could talk my hh into doing the same
    Large BGE
    BBQ Guru DigiQ II

• Nanook
    Nanook Posts: 846
    @SaskNortherner. I love that lump. Nice big pieces. All I use now. If ur in edmonton, check out BBQ Country. Great store, however, they don't carry Sgar Maple lump. I get mine at Lowes.
    GWN
  • hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980

Hondabbq;
    Giant Tiger? who knew, can't say as I have been in one for 15 years or so. No idea they sold lump. Might have to drop in one next time I am in Saskatoon. They are building a Lowes in Saskatoon right now so it will be closer to get. I have a pork shoulder in the freezer just waiting for the mercury to get in the single digits so I can enjoy a beer while standing around the Egg. I will try it for sure before I stock up. Nice to find another supplier beside Royal Oak. I bought one bag of Wicked Good but had to morgage my house to get out of the store with it.

I too was quite shocked that they would carry lump. It was pure happenstance that I stumbled across a flyer online and saw it. Ill be calling all of them late fall to get this deal again hopefully.
  • CincyTiki
    CincyTiki Posts: 346
    Just found this today, any advice on how to get the best use from it? Pork?

Enjoying life in Cincinnati, Ohio - Large BGE & MiniMax BGE
  • Nanook
    @CincyTiki. I use it for everything. I think it's great stuff. Very neutral. Good sized pieces and very little dust. Burns clean. 
    GWN
  • gerhardk
    gerhardk Posts: 942
    CostCo seems to carry Basques Nature's Own every spring at a good price and I have been stocking up every spring.  I think there are 6 bags in my shed now and I'll probably double that by mid June, after that CostCo supply of charcoal is kind of hit and miss.

Gerhard
  • CincyTiki
    CincyTiki Posts: 346
    @Nanook thanks, it was only $4.99 for the 4 kg bag, I may pick up a few more.
    Enjoying life in Cincinnati, Ohio - Large BGE & MiniMax BGE
  • Nanook
    $18 for a 8kg bag here in Canuckland....
    GWN
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,453
    edited March 2015
    In Toronto area Nella restaurant supply, $13.50 for 8Kg ML if you buy min 20 bags.  A buck or two higher per bag if less than 20.  Costco started selling Basques Nature's Own at 12.99/8kg few weeks ago.
    canuckland
  • Nanook
    In Toronto area Nella restaurant supply, $13.50 for 8Kg ML if you buy min 20 bags.  A buck or two higher per bag if less than 20.  Costco started selling Basque Nature's Own at 12.99/8kg few weeks ago.
    I'm jealous! 
    GWN