Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT- Amazon shipping

Options
Hungry Joe
Hungry Joe Posts: 1,567
edited February 2015 in EggHead Forum
I ordered this brush to wash my truck. I have Prime and it came in two days as it should, but the box.... Come on man. I've had some oversized boxes in the past but my FOGO 35 lbs of lump came in a less sturdy and smaller box. The brush came unattached from the handle so it could fit better but I assembled it to give a better picture. :)image

Comments

• johnkitchens
    Options
    Looks like overkill to me. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options
    I have had the same type of wasteful shipping experiences! Note the tiny plastic auger compared to the shipping box!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • RRP
    Options
    This type of wasteful action by an employee reminds me of a couple years ago that a disgruntled secretary paid $58 in postage to have her boss's check to me for $11 to be delivered the next day! In that case I reported that back to him and he fired her.
  • johnkitchens
    Options
    We are a daily pickup point for UPS and they use dimension size pricing meaning the box could weigh two pounds, but if the dimensions are big you pay a for a lot more than the two pounds of weight. 

People are crazy. 

• TheShaytoon
    Options
    I don't think that's an Amazon box.  Most likely the seller of that product packed it, but amazon fulfilled the order.

Amazon has 4 different ways that they generally sell items....They own, stock, and ship the item, they fulfill an item for a different seller using inventory that the seller keeps at an Amazon warehouse.  Or there is a seller that owns, packs, ships products but they use Amazon for a storefront.  

I have a very hard time engaging in passive relaxation. Twitter.Instagram.
    Dallas, TX

• Hungry Joe
    edited February 2015
    Options

I know but it came from Amazon prime and a $20 brush shipped for free. They can't make money this way.

I just checked, $22 plus tax because Amazon is in my state.

Nice brush if anyone is looking for something like this. I watched the price drop from $29 and took the plunge.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000ZLSF74/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• RRP
    Options

I don't think that's an Amazon box.  Most likely the seller of that product packed it, but amazon fulfilled the order.

Amazon has 4 different ways that they generally sell items....They own, stock, and ship the item, they fulfill an item for a different seller using inventory that the seller keeps at an Amazon warehouse.  Or there is a seller that owns, packs, ships products but they use Amazon for a storefront.  

I understand that, but I believe the point we are trying to make is there are some lazy, not thinking, not caring employees working in the shipping department wherever the items were shipped from. As John mentioned above the delivery services up the charges due to space taken not weight. 

Years ago when I was starting out in banking our president had a thing about postage and he frequently would drop in the mail room! Yes he was tight with the nickel, but he convinced every employee that their actions contributed to the bottom line no matter what their job. BTW we had a profit sharing program that made cost conscientiousness pay back!
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    RRP said:

This type of wasteful action by an employee reminds me of a couple years ago that a disgruntled secretary paid $58 in postage to have her boss's check to me for $11 to be delivered the next day! In that case I reported that back to him and he fired her.

That boss sounds like an ass-hole.
  • johnkitchens
    Options

RRP said:

Not really. He sounds like a guy doing his job. 

• RRP
    Options

RRP said:

the $58 was his money, this wasn't a corporation, but a small businessman. In most businesses profit margins are thin and her blowing $58 was wanton waste and disrespect. I'm sure if the whole story was known she lost her job for more reasons than just that incident.
  • Eggcelsior
    edited February 2015
    Options

RRP said:

If you have an employee that's vindictive enough to do something like that, you might want to look in the mirror. More of a guy not doing his job. You either hired the wrong person or you helped to poisoned the relationship.

RRP said:

RRP said:

the $58 was his money, this wasn't a corporation, but a small businessman. In most businesses profit margins are thin and her blowing $58 was wanton waste and disrespect. I'm sure if the whole story was known she lost her job for more reasons than just that incident.
    You didn't indicate anything beyond what you wrote. See what I wrote above.
  • johnkitchens
    Options

RRP said:

If you have an employee that's vindictive enough to do something like that, you might want to look in the mirror. More of a guy not doing his job. You either hired the wrong person or you helped to poisoned the relationship.

Believe it or not sometimes the employer isn't wrong. Not every shop owner is out to screw his employees.

It is apparent that the wrong person was hired. How is that something that should be blamed on the owner? I know a lot of divorced people and when one spouse acts crazy or cheats on the other one, I would never say "you married the wrong person". That is pretty simplistic thinking. 

Sometimes you hire the person because they presented themselves as professional and non crazy during the interview process and for whatever reason they got pissed and wanted revenge. Maybe they were told to show up on time. Maybe they were told no personal internet use on company computers.

I have had employees freak out because they couldn't smoke on the job. So instead of the employer needing to look in the mirror I am going to say that maybe the vindictive employee should.

• Eggcelsior
    Options
    @johnkitchens Life is weird like that.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• johnkitchens
    Options

@johnkitchens Life is weird like that.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

We can agree on that. ( I like the hands up deal. I don't know how to do that.)

• egger ave
    Options
    Starting in January UPS and FedEx calculate the dimensional weight for packages shipped using Ground services. Shipper are paying more attention to box sizes. This shipper is reusing a box designed for 5 brushes. Wouldn't be surprised if did cost him more for shipping vs. the cost of stocking a box sized for one brush. I work for the other company that has purple on their trucks.
    1 Large BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Minimax BGE, Original wife and 3 dogs living in the heart of BBQ country in Round Rock Texas. 

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."

Albert Einstein
  • Hungry Joe
    edited February 2015
    Options

-

egger ave said:

Starting in January UPS and FedEx calculate the dimensional weight for packages shipped using Ground services. Shipper are paying more attention to box sizes. This shipper is reusing a box designed for 5 brushes. Wouldn't be surprised if did cost him more for shipping vs. the cost of stocking a box sized for one brush. I work for the other company that has purple on their trucks.

Honestly who ever shipped this could have fit 40 brushes in this box. Two day shipping on anything costs money, this was ordered Friday, got here Monday. Most times Amazon is not the best option but if you shop great deals can be had.

I do have a ton of those air bag things if I ever need to ship something.