Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My First Ballotine Chicken For Son's 6th B-day

Options
After seeing the throw down about a month ago or so, I had to try this. Today for my son's 6th birthday I did it and a spatchcock for him, because he likes legs. Deboning a chicken is not as easy as it looks. I got one cut to start of I got better. I messed up on one of the legs, so it doesn't look so right. I brined both bitters over night in gown sugar, kosher salt, apple cider, a shot of apple cider vinager and some Butt Kick'n Chicken rub. The stuffing is Italian sausage, Stiff Top corn bread stuffing and some dried cranberries. It didn't look pretty, but it was awesome and I love the rub. I think the apple cider vinegar helped too. My son really liked the legs on the spatchcock chicken. I may have the butcher do the deboning next time to see what it should look like.
XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.

Comments

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Looks great & Happy Birthday to your lil man <:-P What's the pink tie off? No butchers twine available. ;)
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • GalanteNate_OneEa
    Options
    Congrats! It's an addiction! Happy birthday to the little one!
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,043
    Options
    I'd eat it! Congrats ... btw that pink tie off stuff looks cool. What is it?
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options

Looks great & Happy Birthday to your lil man <:-P What's the pink tie off? No butchers twine available. ;) </p>

They are heat resestant, reusable and dish water safe. I have been using them for a year now and like them. I didn't ask the butcher for any. I may get some when I go to Restaurant Depot.

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Ladeback69
    Options
    My Egg dealer carries them. Check this out. $10 for 4.
    http://www.kcbbqsource.com/the-food-loop-4-ct-box/

Kansas City, Mo.
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    I'd never seen the reusable stuff. When I first saw it. I thought...is that a bunch of pink plastic worms tied together? :)) What ever works. Looks good especially for a 1st time bone out. It does get easier after the first one or two.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    It looks good! You will see, it gets easier every time you do it. I think that my first one took me 45 minutes... It now takes me under 5 minutes to debone.

Options
    I need a boning knife and nice sharp paring knife. That would of helped more. My big knife is a little cumbersome to debone with. I have a turkey in the freezer I may have to try next.

Kansas City, Mo.
  • UrbanForestTurnings
    Options

I'd never seen the reusable stuff. When I first saw it. I thought...is that a bunch of pink plastic worms tied together? :)) What ever works. Looks good especially for a 1st time bone out. It does get easier after the first one or two.

And he didn't win a MAJOR award ;) looks great. And my butchers at Krogers didn't know how to debone. I I never expected it. Happy birthday to the little one <:-P
  • Ladeback69
    Options
    Thank you all for the kind words and will be trying it again sometime. Besides the turkey I have a whole chicken in the freezer and I have stuffing leftover that I am freezing for the next one. Now what is next on the list to try, whole pig maybe?

Kansas City, Mo.
  • jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    Options
    I think it looks great. For a neater presentation, you might use a little less stuffing so the bird comes together better. ... And for butcher's twine, just go to a hardware store and get cotton twine. Same thing, half the cost. 
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • Ladeback69
    Options
    jlsm said:

I think it looks great. For a neater presentation, you might use a little less stuffing so the bird comes together better. ... And for butcher's twine, just go to a hardware store and get cotton twine. Same thing, half the cost. 

@jlsm, thanks for the advise. I was looking at a roll of twine at Lowes, but it didn't say cotton and I didn't want to use nylon string. If had done a little better job of deboning it might look so bad. I used about have of what I made, but I will try less next time.

Kansas City, Mo.
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    Should be able to find butchers twine at just about any grocery store. & if not use watcha have. I have just never seen those before. ;)
    Agree on less stuffing for ease of closure and less leakage if you have a leaky type stuffing or a lot of cheese. Once again...Looks good.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • UrbanForestTurnings
    Options

I need a boning knife and nice sharp paring knife. That would of helped more. My big knife is a little cumbersome to debone with. I have a turkey in the freezer I may have to try next.

It's funny that when I do a large butcher job I do it in my basement. And I use these guys more than all of my other knives.