Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Test of my Smoked Salt

Options
As I posted yesterday, I tried my hand at smoking salt. I found the recipe in my recipe folder. It was posted a long time ago and forgotten.

Here's a picture of it before I shut the Egg down and let it cool through the night.

imageUntitled 0 00 11-10 by springchickentexas, on Flickr

Definite color change. But when I first tested it right off the Egg, it was just 'salty' or perhaps 'extremely salty.' I really couldn't detect the flavor of smoke.

So I put it into an airtight container and let it rest overnight. At breakfast, I thought I would grind some up. It's coarse sea salt so I just used the flat side of my chef's knife and pressed the salt down on my cutting board. It took it down to regular salt size. Then I put a pinch on my fried egg.

My first reaction was surprise - it actually tasted pretty good. I only had one egg so I didn't try any more of it.

Tonight, I tried it again on some salad with Ranch Dressing and some pork chops. Same method of grinding it down. It was delicious. I have a feeling it will be even better tomorrow, and a lot better in a week. Could be because I'm getting used to it.

But this little EGGsperiment, along with some new information from the guy who first posted about it, I'm ready to try again, this time using Kosher Salt.

I'll let you know how it turns out.

Spring "If Nothing Else It's Gotta Make A Good Margarita Glass Rim" Chicken
Spring Texas USA

Comments

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Nice Spring looks good and I like the outside the box posts.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,086
    Options
    I have been told to store it in an airtight container. Apparently the smoke flavor eventually will evaporate ... or whatever it is called when it fades away.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Durangler
    Durangler Posts: 1,122
    Options
    I used hickory wood for smoke when I did mine.
    What was your wood of choice. I'd be interested.
    XL BGE, 22" Weber Red Head, Fiesta Gasser .... Peoria,AZ
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,086
    Options
    Alder is usually mentioned for smoked salt. Anybody tried that?
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Spring Chicken
    Options

Durangler... Mostly maple, but I think there was some cherry and some unknown.  Ozzie_Isaac mentioned Alder.  I have some Alder but I'm not sure about using it.  At some point I want to try a mild aromatic like apple.  I wonder also, if dried coffee grounds would impart an interesting flavor.  I also have some guava wood left over from when it was popular.  I'm only on my first attempt and I can see an unlimited range of wood choices, and combinations of those choices. 

If I decide that smoked salt is in the cards, I'll have plenty to play with for a very long time.  My wife won't even taste it.

Also, if the water plays such an important role in the smoke, perhaps another liquid could be used in total or in part with water.  For example, could the chips be soaked in line juice to kick Margarita Salt to another level?  Or bourbon, or orange juice, etc?  Even sugar water.  The list of possibilities staggers the imagination.

Spring " I Need A Larger Box To Think Outside Of" Chicken

• Z_Eggineer
    Options

One of our relatives got us some peat-smoked salt with an awesome (ceramic burrs) grinder.

I don't think that stuff will ever lose it's potency!  If you like scotch and/or hardwood smoke, this stuff is for you.  It is very rich.  We do not like it plain, but it is super-good on certain (umami-heavy) dishes.  It got smoked so much it even turned black!  We are truly blessed to have family like this.

• UrbanForestTurnings
    Options
    Kosher salt might have more surface area. Should work out great. Have you tried paprika yet? I love smoking my peppers before I dry and crush them
  • UrbanForestTurnings
    Options
    Try the coffee with sugar. Might work great for baking
  • PNWFoodie
    PNWFoodie Posts: 1,046
    Options
    Awesome idea! I agree on the more gentle woods. I have some alder smoked salt and it it just too much for me. Looking forward to hearing of your experiments!
    XL, JR, and more accessories than anyone would ever need near Olympia, WA
    Sandy
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Nice
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN