Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Burned wings

Options
tisoypops
tisoypops Posts: 267
edited February 2015 in EggHead Forum
Just cooked some wings indirect. I had been marinating them since yesterday in some franks and mixed seasonings. Only cooked them about one hour or just under at 350-375. I've done them this same way before and not been burned, or so I thought. Any ideas?image
LBGE | Conroe, TX

Comments

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    Thermo calibrated?
  • tisoypops
    Options
    @theyolksonyou I thought so, but I did do some pizzas last night and the temp did get up to 700 one time, so I guess I need to check it again... Luckily the wings are still good
    LBGE | Conroe, TX
  • Tinyfish
    Tinyfish Posts: 1,755
    Options
    Some of them look perfect, maybe the burnt ones were outside the protection of the stone.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Nope those ain't burnt. Those are flame tickled. :)
    @Mickey show em burnt wangs.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• NPHuskerFL
    Options
    You the man! @Mickey B-)
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • Mickey
    Options
    With the exception of the above I like 400 direct raised.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• booksw
    booksw Posts: 470
    Options
    I have the same problem every so often when I cook direct.  Here lately I have only been doing chicken indirect and then I never have the problem.
    Charleston, SC

L/MiniMax Eggs
  • MaC122
    MaC122 Posts: 797
    Options
    I like how the wings turned back into lump
    St. Johns County, Florida
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    +1 @Mickey I second the motion on raised direct @400℉
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • MaC122
    Options

+1 @Mickey I second the motion on raised direct @400℉

I have noticed that wing s on the egg kinda suck. I get a acid taste form the smoke. I do raised direct as well.
  • Auburntgr
    Options
    Loved the timing in three minutes showing what burnt wings really look like. That picture always gets a laugh out of me.
    Franklin, TN Medium and large Green Egg
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    @MaC122 acrid on raised direct. Assuming the smoke is good at what temp and lump?
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • MaC122
    Options

@MaC122 acrid on raised direct. Assuming the smoke is good at what temp and lump?

usually around 400.....BGE lump. I think its the fat dripping onto the coals
  • Mickey
    Options
    I only use Ozark Oak and never a problem.

• NPHuskerFL
    edited February 2015
    Options
    @MaC122 Give RW a shot since it's available locally. I flip mine a few times and haven't had the acrid issue. But, fat drippings could cause this undesirable effect too I spect.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • MaC122
    Options
    Mickey said:

I only use Ozark Oak and never a problem. I don't think its a lump issue. I think its the fat dripping onto the hot coals

• Mickey
    Options
    MaC122 said:

Mickey said:

I only use Ozark Oak and never a problem. I don't think its a lump issue. I think its the fat dripping onto the hot coals

I agree

• Chowman
    Chowman Posts: 159
    Options
    Misery loves company. I also burned some wings this weekend. They looked a lot worse than yours.
    It was a learning experience for me, my first wings on the egg, I went direct , not raised, 325
    Won't try that again....
  • tisoypops
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I stand corrected. Thanks for putting me in my place with that pic @Mickey. I'll never forget that pic. Got a laugh out of me. What happened there anyway? Next time I'll go back to cooking before saucing again and then just maybe throw them back on for 5 or 10 minutes to let the sauce stick. And with those result coming with an indirect cook, I'd be scared to do them direct, even raised. In hindsight I should have checked them once earlier in the cook, rather than just waiting an hour. But like I said, oh well, they're still delicious. And the fajitas turned out great too. I'll post those pics tonight or tomorrow. Thanks for all the comments yall. They were all covered by the plate setter but the burned ones were mostly toward the back of the egg. Also, I didnt add any lump before I started. Just used what was left from pizza cook last night. It was still at the top of the fire bowl. But maybe I didn't even it out enough from the start.
    LBGE | Conroe, TX
  • tisoypops
    Options
    Cooking before saucing*
    I don't remember drinking tonight.
    LBGE | Conroe, TX
  • anton
    anton Posts: 1,813
    Options
    I tried both ways, I also always burned mine raised direct, now I go raised Indirect, and they are great every time. Those still look edible.
    ;)
     Using a MBGE,woo/w stone,livin' in  Hayward California," The Heart Of The Bay "
  • tisoypops
    Options
    Thanks @anton. I definitely wanna try raised indirect. Haven't fiddled with anything to raise my grid yet. I know some use bricks or cans but I've also been thinking about getting a woo so I can wok as well.
    LBGE | Conroe, TX
  • Mickey
    edited February 2015
    Options
    @Chowman and @tisoypops in the picture both adult beverage and a nap were involved.
    I cook a lot of chicken, wings, legs, and turkey as well. All (100%) is cooked the same way: 400 raised direct. Only thing is you have to keep an eye on it. Especially if using honey on wings. As below chili garlic honey wings and pic below it was BBQ'ed turkey wings.
    imageimage

• tisoypops
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Those cooks look awesome @Mickey! I'm gonna have to try some turkey wings. They sound and look amazing
    LBGE | Conroe, TX
  • Mickey
    Options
    tisoypops said:

Those cooks look awesome @Mickey! I'm gonna have to try some turkey wings. They sound and look amazing

They sure make for a good lunch.

• Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    @tisoypops ... You have a large egg ... yes?  Then visit your local Weber supply store and buy a 13.5" diameter grill ... they're generally less than $10.  Then pick up some half thickness fire bricks at Menards or another store like it ... usually six to a box for about $15.  If you can get someone to cut a couple of the bricks in half that's great, but they can be used whole.  Install your OEM grill, arrange two or three bricks to support the weber grill and you're now cooking raised direct about a half inch above the felt line.  Later, if you get a PSWoo, then the bricks and the Weber grill will get you about 4.5 inches up into the dome ... great for cooking monster chops.

I'm hesitant to use the bricks on the fire ring and under the OEM grill due to the chance of them falling into the egg and cracking something.  Thus, I keep them on top of my OEM grill.  The fire bricks show up in various cooks ... balance the ends of kebob skewers on them to keep them off the grill, provide small indirect cooking zones on the grill, etc.

Or, in place of the bricks, you can go with the stainless bolts, washers, and nuts. 

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• tisoypops
    Options
    Thats some great advice @Jeepster47. I may just go and do just that. Thanks! Yes I do have the large
    LBGE | Conroe, TX