Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

protecting cables - as a separate topic

RRP
RRP Posts: 25,887
In a thread today about calibrating a dome thermometer there has been some discussion about protecting cables. Some people don't and some of us do. The simplest already discussed ranged from wrapping in foil to buying a protective tape. Also locating the wire so that it is shielded by a PS leg helps. Years ago I took a different route and purchased a reel of hollow high temperature woven tubing. Because it unraveled easily I made ferrules out of brass tubing so once in place over the cables I crimped the ferrules to hold them tight. I would close the dome at the end of the thin metal wire. Heat and not smoke immediately caused the exposed tubing to turn golden like in this shot from the pristine white. I used these for several years and while they worked perfectly they eventually all got extremely stiff. 
Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    @RRP ... by the tone of your post, it sounds like they were an experiment that turned out so-so.  Yes/no?  Are you still using it?

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• Durangler
    Durangler Posts: 1,122
    Ron comes thru again! :-c
    So, do you think the stiffness came from buildup on the woven tubing. Looks like you've got enough tubing for another couple of cooks, if necessary.:)
    XL BGE, 22" Weber Red Head, Fiesta Gasser .... Peoria,AZ
  • I posted in the other thread but I'll post it again. I used thermo tec sleeve for mine. I don't use my maverick a lot but i've not had any problems. imageimage

Little Rock, AR

• RRP

@RRP ... by the tone of your post, it sounds like they were an experiment that turned out so-so.  Yes/no?  Are you still using it?

Tom, they lasted maybe 4 years so I don't think they were a failure. Now that I discarded them I use use HD foil and those last 2 or 3 months. was it overkill, you might ask...I suppose, but you know how it is wake up with an idea thinking "I wonder if a guy could..."
  • RRP
    edited February 2015
    Durangler said:

Ron comes thru again! :-c

So, do you think the stiffness came from buildup on the woven tubing. Looks like you've got enough tubing for another couple of cooks, if necessary.:)
    Yes over the years they clearly had gathered crud from the smoke and splatters. Actually I ended up selling the rest of that tubing to a couple eggers who like my idea.
  • RRP

I posted in the other thread but I'll post it again. I used thermo tec sleeve for mine. I don't use my maverick a lot but i've not had any problems. imageimage

That's cool too. I'm now just in the foil it camp.
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Yep, the foil works fine for me, and has for about three years.
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • @RRP I'm diggin the alligator clip. Honestly , Ive just gotten too lazy to set up the maverick. I'm comfortable with the egg temps, as long as I use my instant read occasionally to not overcook anything I'm good. I use my maverick primarily if I'm gonna be doing something else while cooking.

Little Rock, AR

• RRP

@RRP I'm diggin the alligator clip. Honestly , Ive just gotten too lazy to set up the maverick. I'm comfortable with the egg temps, as long as I use my instant read occasionally to not overcook anything I'm good. I use my maverick primarily if I'm gonna be doing something else while cooking.

Better run to Radio Shack before they all close their doors and get a small bag of those alligator clips. Several styles to choose from and if need be a Dremel or even sharp snips can customize one into a perfect probe holder for you.
  • Yeah I've been using that silly clip that comes with the maverick. Never thought about attaching an alligator clip. Good thinkin!

Little Rock, AR

• Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    edited February 2015
    I wrapped my finger in foil and held it over a candle - hurt like hell. 
    edited February 2015
    Tjcoley said:

I warpped my finger in foil and held it over a candle - hurt like hell. 

I understand, but the reason I now wrap my cables are not to protect from heat, but to keep that fine mesh cable wire from filling up with creosote and crud which make them stiff and eventually become brittle and break. Except for high temperature cables most all of them die at 396 degrees and if you are egging at that temperature it's unlikely you are using a cable to monitor anyway.
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    @RRP - I actually wrap mine as well to keep them free of the crud.