Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Onions, onions la la la

Options
The Onoin: An onion is a tuberous vegetable, and is a member of the genus
Stinkus Delicioso. It was highly prized by the ancient Egyptian
pharaohs and their friends and cousins. It causes watering of the
eyes and rubifaction of the skin, but it is very, very tasty.

Susan Christie - I Love Onions (1966) www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM-lEhhsLQw

While doing prep this morning (and having the above song run through my head) for a meatloaf I'm doing on the egg today, it occurred to me that perhaps someone out there might benefit from a tip I got from a chef a while back...

When slicing and dicing onions, do it next to an open flame.  The flame draws in all of the onion fumes and thus there s NO watering of the eyes!  It works. It's the only way I "do" onions now.

San Diego, CA - Where I've mastered Curmudgeon..working on Recluse.

Comments

• Smoker317
    Options
    that is very interesting.  Who would have thunk?
    Egghead since November 2014, XL-BGE & ET-732
    Smobot
    Living near Indy
    36" Blackstone
  • jcaspary
    jcaspary Posts: 1,479
    Options
    Another tip to get rid of watering eyes is to chew gum or act like you are chewing gum if you don't have any.  For some stupid reason it works.  
    XL BGE, LG BGE, and a hunger to grill everything in sight!!!
    Joe- Strongsville, OH
  • Tinyfish
    Tinyfish Posts: 1,755
    Options
    Just my luck I have an electric stove, wonder if my wife would object to a little bonfire in the kitchen.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Good tip.

Possibly no less expensive than having a range on hand, but a very keen knife with a "Japanese" edge will cut the onion so cleanly that tears don't happen. I know when to sharpen my better knives when I start to cry w. onions.
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    gdenby said:

Good tip.

Possibly no less expensive than having a range on hand, but a very keen knife with a "Japanese" edge will cut the onion so cleanly that tears don't happen. I know when to sharpen my better knives when I start to cry w. onions.

Agree
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    All good thoughts, sharp knife slices rather than crushes the onion cells creating less "fumes", flame draws away the "fumes". 

Saw a cooking show some time ago that spoke about sulphur in the onion mixes with water in the eyes causing the tears. A small fan near the prep area clears the air much like the gas burner. Lately we've bought these Mayan onions and there seems to be much less crying. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Will it work on an electric stove :-??
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• cook861
    cook861 Posts: 872
    Options

you could get some one else to do them for you or soak them in water
    Trenton ON 1 mbge for now
  • johnmitchell
    Options
    I am comfortable in my manhood, so don't mind a good cry now and then... @-)
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • theyolksonyou
    Options

I am comfortable in my manhood, so don't mind a good cry now and then... @-)

=))
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options
    Mickey said:

No, but I've read a single candle will do the trick, haven't tried it though.

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• Botch
    edited February 2015
    Options
    UncleFred said:

Susan Christie - I Love Onions (1966) www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM-lEhhsLQw

UncleFred said:

Holy heck Batman, you just gave me a Captain Kangaroo flashback!!!  

:D 

• UncleFred
    Options
    Mickey said:

Try it and report back... I'd be interested to know. 

On one hand you do have the heat and convection but on the other hand I don't know if the radiant heat would do what the flame does..
  • Botch
    Options
    Uncle Fred did not say that, I did.  Anytime I "Quote" someone and remove their pics, the quoting scheme gets all messed up.  

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options

I haven't done any research on the subject, but I presume that something volatile hits your eyes when cutting onions. A flame burning nearby will probably burn some of that volatile stuff before it gets to you?

I have found that keeping the onions in the fridge works well too.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • UncleFred
    Options
    Ha!!  Somebody out there remembers the song!
    :))
  • Botch
    Options
    caliking said:

I haven't done any research on the subject, but I presume that something volatile hits your eyes when cutting onions. A flame burning nearby will probably burn some of that volatile stuff before it gets to you?

Onions give off a sulfur compound, can't remember its exact name, but when it hits the water in your tears it forms a mild solution of sulfuric acid, I've read.  
    So now you can tell your friends you've had sulfuric acid in your eyes.  
    :-t

• UncleFred
    Options
    To follow up... I did finish the meatloaf.  Came out great... potatoes too.

• UrbanForestTurnings
    Options
    Looks great. And I just fire up a fat one when I cut onions. Just have to watch the ash or don't get caught ashing in the food :-\"
  • UrbanForestTurnings
    Options
    Botch said:

Mickey said:

No, but I've read a single candle will do the trick, haven't tried it though.

"Three candles" work in the **** house fore me
  • UrbanForestTurnings
    Options
    " 16 candles " work better
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Onion is also a great deodorizer. Skin and halve a large onion and place in the center of the room. ...cut side up on a plate.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • MaC122
    MaC122 Posts: 797
    Options
    I LOVE onions. I don't understand people who don't like them. You can cook them till their almost like candy. My dad taught me to get a scallion and dip it in salt and eat it. Did I say that I LOVE onions?
    St. Johns County, Florida
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options

I use running water in the sink.
    New Albany, Ohio 

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    edited February 2015
    Options
    MaC122 said:

I LOVE onions. I don't understand people who don't like them. You can cook them till their almost like candy. My dad taught me to get a scallion and dip it in salt and eat it. Did I say that I LOVE onions?

There is a mexican restaurant here that serves cebollitas - just chargrilled green onions with salt and lime.  They are amazing.

As for chopping onions - I rarely get the crying effect.  Maybe it's the sharp knife thing?
    NOLA
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    buzd504 said:

MaC122 said:

There is a mexican restaurant here that serves cebollitas - just chargrilled green onions with salt and lime.  They are amazing.

As for chopping onions - I rarely get the crying effect.  Maybe it's the sharp knife thing?
    This. It's all how sharp your knife is and how you cut the onions. The less cells destroyed, the less tearing up occurs. This is basically the test I use to know I need to sharpen the knives. As soon I as I start feeling it chopping onions, they get the stone.
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Heard at one time to place a match (unlit) in your mouth (the wooden end) while chopping.  Never looked into that as I don't have an issue with crying with onions.  Guess I am a bad mofo or something....
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • UncleFred
    Options

" 16 candles " work better

Oh-oh...  Better sit down, you're starting to think like me!
    =))