Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

All the beef ribs posts... I had to try

Options
First time doing beef short ribs on the egg.

~300F indirect for 3 hours and then lowered to ~225F for 1 hour. Total of 4 hours. Rubbed with Dizzy Dust.

Also made some wings at the same time. The wings were on for the first hour only.

Pure awesomeness and super cheap...

imageimageimageimageimageimageimage

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
    Good that you an get the short ribs (plate?)as a pack, all I can find them are offered solo (around 3-4 to a pack).  Regardless, beef ribs are an order of magnitude better than their pork cousins.  Most eggcellent cook-
    You may have to weave them into your over-the-top chicken ballotines.  Great cook!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • stv8r
    stv8r Posts: 1,127
    Options
    Wow...making me drool lol  I haven't seen beef ribs around my area lately but this makes me want to seek them out!
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Nicely done!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    lousubcap said:

Good that you an get the short ribs (plate?)as a pack, all I can find them are offered solo (around 3-4 to a pack).  Regardless, beef ribs are an order of magnitude better than their pork cousins.  Most eggcellent cook-

You may have to weave them into your over-the-top chicken ballotines.  Great cook!
    @lousubcap - It's the same here. Each rib is usually sliced in half and they are sold in packs of 4-8 half ribs. When I asked my butcher to keep a few slabs for me he was actually going to slice and cut them individually. Because he did not have to slice them, he sold them to me cheaper. The rack you see cost me under 5$. I have to agree that they were exponentially better than pork ribs...

I had barbecued short ribs for the first time a few weeks ago at a restaurant. Not sure where they get their meet but it was the meatiest beef ribs I have ever seen:

Options
    stv8r said:

Wow...making me drool lol  I haven't seen beef ribs around my area lately but this makes me want to seek them out!

@stv8r You should ask your butcher... they are worth it!

Options
    caliking said:

Nicely done!

@caliking where is the like button?

edited February 2015
    Options
    You got that for less than $5? That's just not fair... I'm not going to tell you what I pay for uncut short ribs...

Short ribs are one of my favorite things. I have 2 racks of chuck short ribs in the freezer right now, need to figure out when.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Tinyfish
    Tinyfish Posts: 1,755
    Options
    Great cook looks delicious. I just bought a rack of beef back ribs to try too. I cant wait to cook them up. If they look half as good as your I'll be happy.
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,822
    Options
    Not to upset anyone but those appear to be beef back ribs to me. I was wrong once before!
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • PNWFoodie
    PNWFoodie Posts: 1,046
    Options
    Yum. That is all. :)
    XL, JR, and more accessories than anyone would ever need near Olympia, WA
    Sandy
  • noregard
    noregard Posts: 306
    Options
    @paqman, looks great!  How did you get  such a nice skin on the wings in one hour, indirect nonetheless?!
    Lethbridge, Alberta         LBGE & MM
  • TN_Sister_State
    Options
    Mmmmm, beef is the way for bbq hence my name. From tx living in tn but crave that tx Que.
    Franklin, Tn
    LBGE - Cast Iron Grate - Flameboss 300 - BGEtisserie

• johnmitchell
    Options
    Fantastic looking ribs..I love the first plated pic..Great post and pics.. =D>
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options

I did the "single" ribs and did not alter the time or anything else. Worked fine. 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• UrbanForestTurnings
    Options
    I love the ring of wings. Looks like a halo of heavenly goodness ^:)^
  • GlennM
    GlennM Posts: 1,365
    Options
    I made chuck short ribs last evening for the first time. 72 hrs in the sous vide and a quick sear on the egg with sauce. I wasn't sure how they would turn out but let me tell you - they were way over the top fantastic!! I didn't take pics but I sure will the next time!
    In the bush just East of Cambridge,Ontario 
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    =D> You did them justice. Very nice.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    @DMW because he did not have to trim them, my butcher sold them to me as "scrap" beef for soup :)

@noregard I just sprinkled the wings with Dizzy Dust. I always cook wings indirect but I usually go at 400F for 30-45 minutes. This time it was 300F for 1 hour and they were perfect.

@td66snrf I think this is called plate ribs. My butcher usually sells them sliced in half and already cut.

Thank everyone!

Options

Options
    @paqman thanks, I'll have to give them a shot again soon.  I've only done once or twice and wasn't blown away with my results.  Great pics.
    Lethbridge, Alberta         LBGE & MM
  • jcaspary
    jcaspary Posts: 1,479
    Options
    Excellent looking ribs.  We prefer the pork over the beef but I have some beef ribs in the freezer that will be making their way to the Egg soon.
    XL BGE, LG BGE, and a hunger to grill everything in sight!!!
    Joe- Strongsville, OH