Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cuban Sandwich Spin

So, if you are like me, carbs are a must have to make things complete.  Pizza, sandwiches, breading, batter, ect. For the past month or two I had planned a huge cheat day (yeah, I'm fat and on a 0 carb diet)  and a Cuban Sandwich was on the menu.  I wasn't sure that anyone else would want one, so I didn't want to roast an entire pork shoulder just to slice up for me. I decided I would pull the shoulder and use a portion to make the Cuban and everyone else could just have themselves pulled pork sandwiches.

First thing I did was whip up a Cuban inspired rub, but I thought seasoning the outside might not be enough to give the roast the Cuban flavor that I was looking for.  So I used a Mojo sauce recipe from Steven Raichlen and doctored it up a little to use as an injection.

I used a trick I saw at a BBQ competition and injected the roast while it was still in the airtight packaging.  I feel like it really helps hold in the injection inside the roast and any that did leak out helped marinate from the outside of the roast.  tossed it back into the fridge for a few hours until I was ready to rub and toss on the grill.  While resting in the fridge I sliced up a ham that I had done earlier in the week.

I tossed the shoulder on the XLBGE at about 12:00 a.m. (late start cause of a detour to the ER, but thats another thread lol)  @230F dome.  In the morning I bumped it up to 275F.  Wrapped when IT 160F.  When the IT hit 197F the roast was done.  Shook like jello.  I let it rest for about 30 min while I prepped the other ingredients.  I used  mini kaiser rolls, yellow mustard not the bottom, mayo on the top, stacked with ham, jalapeño infused dill pickle, swiss, and the cuban pulled pork.  A little butter on the outside of the sandwich and a couple minutes on the panini press and these were the hit of the party.  With less than 20 guest at my house, I must have made 30+ sandwiches (which kinda sucked only being able to fit 6 at a time on the press lol).

These will be an absolute repeat in years to come!

Thanks for reading, hope you try them out!

Comments