Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

2 Thumbs up for Big Ash Basket

Options
The Big Ash Basket is a very good investment. My first cook with it was a learning experience. The air flow was more than I expected.
I would spend the extra 15 minutes to clean, sift, and reload each cook. Now, 45 seconds?? Great gift for egghead friends

Comments

• bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,733
    Options
    Now I must spend more money!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    I see how it can be useful but 15 minutes to clean? It takes me a maximum of 15 seconds unless I do a full clean removing the ash... I usually do a full clean after burning a full 20 pounds bag of charcoal. My usual cleaning consists of "stirring" the leftover charcoal to get rid of the ash.

Options
    It doesn't take me 15 minutes to walk out to my egg, stir the old lump, dump new lump, light egg, and finish my first drink :-?
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Regardless, it's a great product. Improves air flow and makes the fire ow easier to manage. Not a nessecoty, obviously, but well worth the price tag. I'm a fan for sure.
  • stompbox
    stompbox Posts: 729
    Options
    Yeah, I just stir the lump with my brush after cleaning the grate. I can't see cleaning as an improvement over what I do now.

I also have not had any aiflow issues, I suppose there is always a first.

I am sure it is a great product and well built, but I can't see how it cpuld be a huge improvement for me.
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    I don't need a basket to kick ass every day.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • cam05210
    Options
    Fully agree...had mine a month now and took a couple of trial and errors to get the temps adjusted since the air flow is so much better, but its so convenient..pull the basket, lift the grate to dump the leftover ash and fill'er back up..so quick and easy.  Getting father-n-law one for one for Father's Day.  Highly recommend!!
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Options
    Got a photo or link to share?
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • Terrebandit
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Ok, I found it. Good idea and I think it would be handy. Trying to get past the 50 dollar price tag.

http://www.kickashbasket.com
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • Tinyfish
    Tinyfish Posts: 1,755
    Options
    Im working my way up to the kick ash basket. 

In my XL I replaced the fire grate with a weber kettle 22.5 charcoal grate. The weber charcoal grate is an exact fit 17" dia. The only disadvantage to the KA is you cant lift it out and shake the ash out like the KA but its only like $12.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options

I don't need a basket to kick ass every day.

LIKE dammit... LIKE!!!!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Terrebandit
    Options
    Any one use this with the CGS Spider in place? Will they interfere with each other?? I have a large egg with a three arm spider.
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    @Terrebandit ... the short answer is no, they don't interfere with each other.

I wish the KABasket was built a little deeper, so that it would come up at least to the top of the fire bowl.  With the OEM grate removed, the top of the handles just clear the top of the fire bowl.  So, the spider misses by more than a couple of inches.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    I've only had my KAB for a couple of weeks, but I really like it!
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • HendersonTRKing
    Options
    I've had mine about a month and it rocks.  Somehow I still end up as dirty, but it's undeniably convenient to shake out the ash and refill.  Agree it could be deeper, but I just fill as usual -- way up over the handles of the basket.  Not a problem.  The superior airflow seems to make the egg eat more lump, but it heats up faster and seems to hold temps very well.  I'm fan.

PS:  I removed the OEM fire grate.  DIdn't seem necessary and maybe counterproductive given the KAB's airflow dynamics.  Maybe that's why I'm going through lump faster. 
    It's a 302 thing . . .
  • CasperAU1
    Options
    I ordered a KAB for my large yesterday.  Are the results better with or without the BGE fire grate?
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    CasperAU1 said:

I ordered a KAB for my large yesterday.  Are the results better with or without the BGE fire grate?

Go without.
  • r8rs4lf
    r8rs4lf Posts: 317
    Options
    Really wish they would consider making one for my MBGE.  :((
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    Options
    This is such a no-brainer. Should have been std forever with a BGE. Wish there was one for my small. I do fine keeping my XL clean though.
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • noarmysargent
    Options
    I may be a little over the top with cleaning. (15 minutes). I've tried so many types of lump that produce excessive ash. I clean for the air flow. BIg Ash has eliminated that time.
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    When I use my egg on a daily basis (summer), I can go almost 2 weeks without doing a full clean before air flow is impacted.... Now (winter), I do it about once a month.

Options

PS:  I removed the OEM fire grate.  DIdn't seem necessary and maybe counterproductive given the KAB's airflow dynamics.  Maybe that's why I'm going through lump faster. 

Do you do mostly high-temp, wide-open grilling?  For anything 300F and below, the smallest "opening" for airflow will be either the bottom or top vent, not the fire grate, and the vents alone will determine your lump use.  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• bcsnave
    bcsnave Posts: 1,009
    Options
    better up my line of credit....

The Dude..a Mini and a Large Egg..a DigiQ DX (BGE Green)..some Cast Iron...a Thermapen.............and an Ol' Fashion

_____________________________________________________________________________

Glenbeulah, WI