Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

1st Homemade Dough, 1st Homemade Sauce, 1st BGE Pizza! (w/pics)

Hey_Bulldog
Hey_Bulldog Posts: 55
edited February 2015 in EggHead Forum
Well I decided to swallow the pill and venture into the world of BGE pizza; and I figure if I was going to do it, might as go all the way.

Homemade dough, homemade pizza sauce, 1st BGE pizza cook - MUCH success.

So I went with an whole wheat dough.  The wife and I are watching our figures and since I'm already 50 lbs down, I wanted to continue our improved eating habits even in my land of eggdom.  So after a bit of research I developed a pretty decent recipe / procedure.   Good thing, because I doubled my recipe so I have 2 servings in the freezer now.

Rolled out the doughs, went with BBQ chicken breast (from the Egg yesterday of course) and classic Pepperoni.  Heres a pic of the pre-cooked BBQ pizza with rainbow peppers (green + red + orange + yellow), sweet onions, and just a sprinkle of cheddar cheese:

First to the Egg, and coincidentally what is very quickly becoming my favorite moment of every week... sucking in those just-lit lump fumes on a friday afternoon after a long week at work while sipping a beer:

Cooked at 400 for about 15 minutes each with 2 turns (each).  Id like to hit 450 next time, wouldn't mind crisping the crust a bit more...

Sorry for the blur on this one, but I was VERY excited to take my first peak at the first egg pizza:

AND.... drumroll please.... The result:

Mom, Wife, and in-laws loved it!  When I was asked where I bought the dough and where I got the sauce because they didn't assume I made it from scratch - I considered that a compliment.  Even gave a nibble to our 10 month old son... he approved as well!

I have all the details on dough and sauce recipe / procedure if anyone was interested.  Those are going in my cookbook which is good indication that I didn't hate my first pass :)  

Comments

• Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Way to jump right in with pizza from scratch. Looks great.
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    <:-P
    Seattle, WA
  • LKNEgg
    LKNEgg Posts: 339
    I am interested in all of the above recipes! I haven't attempt pizza yet, but rumor from the wife is I am getting a stone for my birthday on Sunday and the plan is to break it in with a similar recipe! Life to hear any advise recipes or tips! Congrats, the finished product looked great and I'm sure tastes great!
    Large BGE - 2014
    FB 200, KAB, AR - 2015
    Lake Norman area of NC
    The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten!

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing!

• Tinyfish
    Tinyfish Posts: 1,755
    And you say that was your first time...looking like an expert to me.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    That is some awesome looking pizza.  Great job!  Bonus points for making whole wheat dough that actually looks really tasty.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Great job bulldog! Pizza on the grill is definitely a favorite. Nice work on the dough- I'm not usually as fan ofwhole wheat dough but if you have one you like I'd love to hear it
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • Kudos for the home made sauce and WW dough. Good WW dough is hard to come by.
  • nice pies

Booch- from Medina, Ohio

• Hawg Fan
    Hawg Fan Posts: 1,517
    Congrats on the first pizza cook in the BGE and for making everything from scratch. If you want a crispier crust, try raising your temp to 500-600 and raising your pizza stone higher in the dome.

Any road will take you there if you don't know where you're going.

Terry

Rockwall, TX
  • Hey_Bulldog
    Hey_Bulldog Posts: 55
    edited February 2015

Thanks for all the compliments everyone!

blind99 said:

Great job bulldog! Pizza on the grill is definitely a favorite. Nice work on the dough- I'm not usually as fan ofwhole wheat dough but if you have one you like I'd love to hear it

I typically am not either, so I was pleasantly surprised with the result.  Here is my procedure (makes 2 pies):

Proof one packet Active Dry Yeast in 1/2 cup hot water + 1/2 tablespoon sugar
    Put proofed yeast in mixing bowl
    3 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
    1-tablespoon honey
    1-cup cold water
    Pinch salt

Mix / knead with dough hook on speed 2-3 of stand mixer for approx 5 minutes until combined in loose dough ball
    Take out of bowl and place on heavily floured counter
    Knead by hand for approx 5 minutes until you get a spring-back from a poke, cutting in flour to desired consistency
    Place in floured bowl and cover with tea towel
    Place in warm location to rise
    1 - 1.5 hour rise until doubled in size
    Punch Down, knead for 1 minute, ball the dough into a tight pouch
    Put in oiled Tupperware and seal / store in fridge overnight
    Pull to room temperature (approx. 30 minutes before rolling)
    Gentle knead and knuckle / roll to desired size
    ‘Fill Pizza’ with desired ingredients
    Scallop Crust – fold over edge onto itself about every ½ inch to form best circle possible

LKNEgg said:

I am interested in all of the above recipes! I haven't attempt pizza yet, but rumor from the wife is I am getting a stone for my birthday on Sunday and the plan is to break it in with a similar recipe! Life to hear any advise recipes or tips! Congrats, the finished product looked great and I'm sure tastes great!

Dough recipe above, as far as the sauce:

Approx 5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
    3 large cloves garlic
    1 Can Tomato Sauce (San Marazano)
    Approx 4 tablespoons Tomato Paste

Mince Garlic (v. fine)
    add 1/2 EVOO and garlic to medium heat and stir 2 - 3 minutes
    Add Tomato Paste and stir in 2 - 3 minutes
    Add Tomato Sauce
    Season with onion powder and any herbs you please (I chose rosemary and oregano)
    Add the rest of the EVOO till the sauce takes on a nice glisten
    When a simmer is reached, reduce to low flame and keep it there about 40 minutes.

As a tip - I don't have a pizza peel, so I pulled out the parchment paper.  Remember to throw the paper down on the BACK of a nice sized sheet pan or onto a cutting board (I say the back of a pan because you want to easily slide it off onto the BGE / stone and if you have a lip in your way all the ingredients will catch that wave and stay on your pan!).  Also make sure that before you start forcefully rolling your dough out, you throw the parchment underneath... otherwise the dough will be too flimsy to easily transfer.  I kept the parchment under the pizza and on the stone for about half the cook, pulling it when I spun the pies.

I cooked them at about 400 (just over), but I might recommend 450 being the target just to put a little crunch on the crust.

Good luck!
  • With sugar in the dough beware raising temps. Don't ask how I know...
  • TTC
    TTC Posts: 1,035
    Great work
    XL BGE, Blackstone, Roccbox, Weber Gasser, Brown Water, Cigars --  Gallatin, TN

2001 Mastercraft Maristar 230 VRS

Ikon pass 

Colorado in the winter and the Lake in the Summer
  • bboulier
    bboulier Posts: 558
    Terriffic!
    Weber Kettle, Weber Genesis Silver B, Medium Egg, KJ Classic (Black)
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,669
    Way to go!

Good job! Looks great.
  • bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,726
    Great pizza!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    I'll have to try whole wheat again. I find anything over about 30 percent while wheat doesn'thave enough chew for me
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    Very nice
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231

Hello, Dominoes.........NOT! 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    next time instead of 450 - kick it up to 650-700 (preheat for at least 30-45 minutes for best results) Pizza will be on the egg for only 4-5 minutes.  This is approaching the temps of most brick-oven pizza shops at 800+.   Coal Fired Pizza shops use coal and temps above 900 - pizza is in the oven for < 3 minutes.

I typically put the pie on the Reynolds parchment/foil - foil side down. Then pull it out after ~3 minutes which prevents over-charring. 

Doing it this way also means you are not waiting an unnecessary extra 10-12 minutes. :):):) 
  • Lose the sugar if you go high temp.