Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cast Iron Chili Questions...

Options
Figured I'd use that nice Lodge CI dutch oven I got for Christmas this weekend and make some chili!
Thing is, I've never used the pot on the egg, let alone made a stew/sauce/chili on there.

I am a low simmer all day kind of guy when I make anything stew like.   So I'd expect I'd do the same on the egg.
  • What temp do you shoot for on the egg to cook low and slow?
  • Do you have to worry about it burning?
Those two may be related...but on the stove I have to stir a long cook every once in a while because that little patch of heat on the bottom of the pot will eventually start burning whatever has collected inside the pot.   On my large BGE, the CI will be far removed from the heat source and with a legs up platesetter between it and the fire.   Will it burn on a low cook?

That said, can I cook it a little faster/hotter than usual if it doesn't burn?

Thanks!
LBGE/Maryland

Comments

• Gadfly
    Gadfly Posts: 121
    Options
    Isn't chili too acidic for the first cook in a new cast iron pot (even a seasoned one)?
  • UrbanForestTurnings
    Options
    Do it indirect. Same temps as you would do in an oven.
  • UrbanForestTurnings
    Options
    Put in on the grill grate with the ps. On my xl I do 325 with the do lid off. 250 lid on
  • UrbanForestTurnings
    Options
    Get your smoke first then slap that lid on it. Smoke won't penatrate liquids that much unless you stir the pot
  • tisoypops
    Options
    @Gadfly may have something. I don't know what did it exactly but I made some chicken gnocchi soup in my preseasoned lodge chicken fryer pan as one of the first cooks and a lot of the seasoning came off and made my pan look faded and it has been more prone to rust quickly if I don't put oil on it right away while I have been slowly seasoning it back. Takes a while since I use the lid more, as its a 10.25 in frying pan. It ,OTOH, is very well seasoned.
    LBGE | Conroe, TX
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Got one for Christmas from our Son. Oiled and put in the egg at 375 for 4 hrs, wiped down let cool and then reapplied a thin layer of oil over the entire DO and put back into the egg and shut it down allowing the DO to cool along with the egg. Then I made chili the following day. Afterward it was easy to clean and only reapplied a thin layer of oil and put up the DO in the cupboard.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options
    Thanks, UFT. I'll go with those temps and thanks for the reminder to stir for smoke flavor! I had read it here and forgot about it...

As SWMBO'd has complained of too much smoke flavoring lately (ugh) I'll skip wood but run OO or RO straight. Give some charcoal flavor but noting too strong.
    LBGE/Maryland
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    Options
    I have done Chili on the egg a couple of times, kept the fire low, and cooked directly on the PS (saw that in a recipe somewhere on here). Kind of like cooking on a smooth top range. I use some smoked meat (brisket or chuck) in my recipe, but also brown some ground meat with plenty of smoke for flavor.

No ill effects on the CI as far as I could tell, and no iron taste in the chili.  I never put the cover on the DO, but of course keep the lid closed on the egg.  Chili is awesome, but we like the smoke.

XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options
    That looks great Bob. On the way to the food store for ingredients...
    LBGE/Maryland