Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I never did this with the gas grill.

OK, something is really wrong with me. Got home too late to fire up the grill, but a little while ago, I got up, went outside and just hung out with the empty egg. I opened it up, raked around the leftover coals from the other night's cook, raked out the ashes, wiped down the exterior, put away the deflector and just kinda hung out with the grill for a bit. My wife came out and we both laughed really hard when I told her what I was doing. Never, ever paid a visit to an empty gas grill. You ever do this, or do you see the flaw?...it was probably not to late to light it up.

Comments

• YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    edited February 2015
    I do the same.  For what the Egg has provided my family and I, the least I could do is take proper care of it.  And that is cleaning it, wiping it down, maintaining the bolts, etc.  Just taking care of the things that take care of me.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    I've done something like that with a drink in hand as an excuse to avoid what was happening in the house. Your post seems more like a date.
    mtbguy Posts: 299
    Yup done that as well. Tomorrow I will have 2 eggs. The Mini Max is finally in, got the call while out Mt Biking. Sending the kid down to pick it tomorrow. Then I guess it will be a double date.
  • Tinyfish
    Tinyfish Posts: 1,755
    I think we all like to spend time with our eggs even if their not fired up.
  • It's 12 :02 got my cheese off at 7:30. Sitting outside looking at the moon with a fat one and a drink. Still have the egg smoking just seeing how long it will go. Thank god I only loaded the smoke chamber 1/4 full
  • Thanks for the ideas. I never get to fire it up during the week since I get home so late. I'm always trying to think of some reason to go out and do something with it. Now I have a reason.
    LBGE | Conroe, TX
  • I do that when a football game doesn't go my way or my wife is watching that god awful ghost hunters/ adventurers show. But typically I end up starting it and throwing some thawed hotdogs or brats on just to stay out of the house a little longer. 
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • Sorry, @UrbanForestTurnings I thought that was implied....
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • Still drinking I guess. I need one more @-)
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,944
    edited February 2015
    mtbguy said:

Yup done that as well. Tomorrow I will have 2 eggs. The Mini Max is finally in, got the call while out Mt Biking. Sending the kid down to pick it tomorrow. Then I guess it will be a double date.

Time to derail thread .... What kind of bike do you ride? I rode a Jamis Dakar for years but switched to a Titus Motolite a few years ago (pre-bankrupcy and buyout) and love it.

PS I do fiddle with my egg for no real reason. Gives me something to do outside.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    I do use my eggs nearly everyday - the smaller ones get the most frequent use. Even with that said, I still go out and check on them from time to time (mostly with my morning coffee and to get away from the commotion inside the house). I try to make sure I use each of them at least 3 times a month.

Admitting this feels weird... I thought I was the only one this addicted!

@mtbguy and @Ozzie_Isaac - I'm a rider too. No fancy FS bikes right now but I have a decent quiver. Riding was my passion before I ended up with 3 great kids (and a great wife). Now my addiction is a quest for something delicious from the egg since I have a hard time finding time to ride anymore. 
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,944
    @minniemoh I know what you mean about kids. I have never had a larger quiver before ... unfortunately only 1 of them fits me :)
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • @minniemoh I know what you mean about kids. I have never had a larger quiver before ... unfortunately only 1 of them fits me :)

Quiver and bikes? Is that a code for something or am I just old or have no clue? I understand hogs and Indians.
  • I do that when a football game doesn't go my way or my wife is watching that god awful ghost hunters/ adventurers show. But typically I end up starting it and throwing some thawed hotdogs or brats on just to stay out of the house a little longer. 

What show? Supernatural?
    middle of nowhere- G.I. NE
  • epcotisbest
    epcotisbest Posts: 2,168
    I ride too but not as much as I used too. Like my grill, my bike has changed as well. Now it is a Rans Stratus long wheelbase recumbent following back surgery many years ago. I also have an old bikeE, and like it a lot for shorter rides around the neighborhood. Here is a pic of a Rans Stratus.
  • epcotisbest
    Oh, glad I am not the only one who visits his empty grill.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    You cannot put a value on the eggscape from SWMBO factor with the BGE regardless of how you get there.   Couple that with the requisite adult supervisory beverages and you have hit a home-run.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    That's ridiculous. I never go out to my eggs just to visit and enjoy a beverage. You'll never prove it! It's not like I'm on video....there's no video right? :))
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,230

I like to simply look at my Egg. We some sick dudes.

New Albany, Ohio 

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    edited February 2015
    mtbguy said:

More like a menage a trois.
    NOLA
  • Sounds to me like you boys are all about to have a wet dream!!!        :x

1 large BGE, 2 small BGE, 3 Plate setters, 1 large cast iron grid, 1 pizza stone, 1 Stoker II Wifi, 1 BBQ Guru Digi-Q II, 1 Amaze N pellet smoker and 1 empty wallet.      Seaforth, On. Ca.

• Sardonicus
    Sardonicus Posts: 1,700
    edited February 2015

I cringe at the thought of you guys stroking your

. . . Eggs.  :-S

"Too bad all the people who know how to run the country are busy driving cabs and barbecuing."      - George Burns

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    I occasionally give the eggs a good night hug. Especially if tis chilly outside.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • I REALLY WANT THOSE BUTTONS BACK!!! ~X(
  • Y'all are messed up bad!! :-))
    Brandon, MS
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088

Y'all are messed up bad!! :-))

+1  "Like" "Agree"  ... or whatever...
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Anthropomorphism can be fun, eh? Be careful not to burn your lips when you kiss it good night.

You do know it's just a grill, right?

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• epcotisbest
    Just a grill that I check on even when I'm not cooking. That was the whole point.