Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Watch pricing on Amazon

Options
This was anAsia Market in Austin and a Amazon price.
Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Forgot pics
    imageimage
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,607
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I need a watch.

Was there to be a link @Mickey?

edit: nevermind
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    Mickey said:

This was anAsia Market in Austin and a Amazon price.

Actually I find quite often that Amazon does not have the best prices! I used to think they were the bottom of everybody, but not so anymore! Buyer beware!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I have noticed this as well with Amazon- for some reason groceries tend to be expensive.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    That's why I buy my groceries at the grocery store.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    I always price shop Amazon. As you pointed out they aren't "always" less expensive.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    @Mickey was your jockstrap cheaper or more expensive on amazon? Also how much did this modeling gig pay you?
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,607
    Options
    I will gladly overpay for a jar of chili garlic sauce when they can deliver it by drone.
  • Acorn
    Acorn Posts: 163
    Options
    Amazon is a great starting point but not always the lowest price. Look what they want for wood chunks..........$20.00!!!
    Atlanta, GA  - LBGE -
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    I might be wrong, but it is even worse than you might think. 

Your Asian market photo show Chili Garlic Sauce in 13oz and 8oz containers, the price of $3.99 below them is for a 13oz of Black Bean Garlic Sauce if I'm reading the label correctly - The 8oz of Black Bean Garlic Sauce is on Amazon for $9.25 - it does however "Ship Free". Could not find the 13oz Black Bean Garlic Sauce on Amazon. 

Dizzy Pig stuff is well priced on Amazon for us Canucks if you have a US ship to address, usually under $11 a shaker, on Amazon Canada it is over $45 a shaker, I know the Loonie has devalued lately, but that is ridiculous. (product ships from the States, so border brokerage is included)
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • SmokininCT
    SmokininCT Posts: 51
    edited February 2015
    Options
    There is a site called: camel camel camel, that is helpful for monitoring prices on Amazon. It's kind of interesting to see how much the prices for an item fluctuate on Amazon.
  • Cowdogs
    Cowdogs Posts: 491
    Options
    That item is not sold by Amazon, but a 3rd party company.  Often I see 3rd party items on Amazon are not priced well.   I try to avoid purchasing the 3rd party items as these items often have return policies that are not as good, and shipping can be much higher. 
  • travisstrick
    Options
    Knives are almost always high on Amazon.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    Cowdogs said:

That item is not sold by Amazon, but a 3rd party company.  Often I see 3rd party items on Amazon are not priced well.   I try to avoid purchasing the 3rd party items as these items often have return policies that are not as good, and shipping can be much higher. 

This.....

Anyone can list just about whatever product they want on Amazon just like eBay.  Amazon usually shows their price first (if they carry it), then the 3rd party places in order of the lowest price.

Amazon takes about 15%, and there are plenty of other costs.  You benefit from their cheap shipping rates though.  Their warehousing, fulfillment, SEO, etc. may make it worth it depending on the volume and margin. 

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options

Yep . Amazon price is not necessarily the best. I have also noticed that standard pricing is often less than Prime pricing, which means that the delivery charge is worked in to the price of the Prime product, after you have already paid for Prime membership. If your order is greater than a certain amount you can get free shipping usually without having Prime membership

Another goofy thing I've noticed is that the price on the mobile app from the search results often changes if you click on an item to see the full description.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Chubbs
    Options
    caliking said:

Yep . Amazon price is not necessarily the best. I have also noticed that standard pricing is often less than Prime pricing, which means that the delivery charge is worked in to the price of the Prime product, after you have already paid for Prime membership. If your order is greater than a certain amount you can get free shipping usually without having Prime membership

Another goofy thing I've noticed is that the price on the mobile app from the search results often changes if you click on an item to see the full description.

Yep I dropped prime because I noticed that.
  • DieselkW
    DieselkW Posts: 894
    Options
    I like to add in the cost of fuel for me to go fetch, so if it's a twenty mile round trip to "BBQ Supplies R Us" I have to give Amazon a few dollars when comparing prices. Also, some vendors charge tax, some do not. Buy from one that doesn't, and save another 7-8% over getting it yourself.

Firecraft gets $22 for 20# of Rockwood + tax + $8 shipping. (Free shipping over $99)

Amazon sells Quebracho for $1/lb delivered to my door, and Hasty Bake (Ozark Oak) for $1.10/lb

Indianapolis, IN

BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically. 

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options

That's why I buy my groceries at the grocery store.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Amazon....the WalMart of the internet.

For the most part no thanks, local drug store , ace and best buy for me.
    Still have not used firecraft, 15 miles from me is an egg dealer i like. $24 for some WGWW was not bad imo, supports local. May stick to that for lump....i do want to try OO and Rockwood though.
    Seattle, WA
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    caliking said:

@caliking, the only time I see prices cheaper than prime is non-amazon sellers who then charge shipping that pushes the price past the prime price. I suppose it depends on what you're buying. Also I consider what the price would be with 2-day shipping added and it still doesn't win. I'm too spoiled by the fast shipping to wait 5-7 days for an item. The horror! First world problems!
  • bettysnephew
    Options
    I have noticed more than once that Amazon tends to increase the price a bit if you visit more than one time and this is not on a mobile device, just my desktop. I have taken to check other sites first, then visit Amazon and if the price is best buy it right then. I thought the first few times this happened it was because of a different vendor, so I printed a copy then revisited later. Same vendor slightly higher price. It also seems to ratchet up a bit the more times you search, but cannot verify. We noticed this when buying a gymnastics mat for my granddaughter.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • Durangler
    Durangler Posts: 1,122
    Options
    I put stuff on my wish list & monitor price fluctuations. 
    If it's something I'd like to have, but do not need it soon, I set up an email alert with camel camel camel. I look at the price history & set the alert accordingly.
    The prices jump up & down daily. When I see a price I like, I pounce. Then upset the next day when it's even lower.  :(
    XL BGE, 22" Weber Red Head, Fiesta Gasser .... Peoria,AZ
  • Chubbs
    Options
    No comment on the jock strap from @Mickey?? You don't have to be embarrassed of your bod man.

@henapple, @travisstrick, @nolaegghead, @Cen-Tex, @caliking, @Little Steven
  • Proser
    Proser Posts: 271
    Options
    My company sells a couple of products on Amazon and charges a higher price than on our website because of the selling fees we are charged.

I have also found that the return rate is higher, not sure why that is
    Arlington, TX  1 large, 1 medium, 1 Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone
  • bigalsworth
    Options

I might be wrong, but it is even worse than you might think. 

Your Asian market photo show Chili Garlic Sauce in 13oz and 8oz containers, the price of $3.99 below them is for a 13oz of Black Bean Garlic Sauce if I'm reading the label correctly - The 8oz of Black Bean Garlic Sauce is on Amazon for $9.25 - it does however "Ship Free". Could not find the 13oz Black Bean Garlic Sauce on Amazon. 

Dizzy Pig stuff is well priced on Amazon for us Canucks if you have a US ship to address, usually under $11 a shaker, on Amazon Canada it is over $45 a shaker, I know the Loonie has devalued lately, but that is ridiculous. (product ships from the States, so border brokerage is included)
    Use bbqs.com it is out of Ontario and provides $15 flat rate shipping, so you can get 30# of wood chunks, a gallon of butt rub, and a bunch of dizzy pigs for only the $15 flat rate
    Large BGE
    BBQ Guru DigiQ II

Martensville, Saskatchewan Canada
  • Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,567
    Options
    Camelcamelcamel is the best way to get good prices on Amazon. For some reason if I put the dot com at the end it disappears into the forum black hole.
  • Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,567
    Options
    Chubbs said:

@Mickey was your jockstrap cheaper or more expensive on amazon? Also how much did this modeling gig pay you?

I'm not sure why I clicked on this picture.
  • Chubbs
    Options

Chubbs said:

I'm not sure why I clicked on this picture.
    I know. Mickey is dreamy isn't he :x >-)
  • Cowdogs
    Cowdogs Posts: 491
    Options

I have noticed more than once that Amazon tends to increase the price a bit if you visit more than one time and this is not on a mobile device, just my desktop. I have taken to check other sites first, then visit Amazon and if the price is best buy it right then. I thought the first few times this happened it was because of a different vendor, so I printed a copy then revisited later. Same vendor slightly higher price. It also seems to ratchet up a bit the more times you search, but cannot verify. We noticed this when buying a gymnastics mat for my granddaughter.

This may seem to be happening, but it is not.  Amazon does adjust prices throughout the day based on supply, demand, latest cost and many other factors but everyone gets the same price at any particular time for the items that Amazon sells. 

A single shopper just searching and looking is not having any affect on the price.  What you might be seeing is different 3rd party sellers selling the same item at different prices.   
  • texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    Options
    I need to make a Asian store run myself. I go to a place in Plano called Ranch 69. It's super cool.

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx