Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brunswick Stew (Mull) . . .

Options
djm5x9
djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Recently, I was on a quest to find the perfect Brunswick Stew. Althought my research led me to several excellent recipes, I was looking to duplicate a taste from my youth provided by some dearly loved and much missed uncles from eastern Georgia. During my search, My father, who spent many a night cooking a holiday hog feast with these uncles, gave me the basis for the family "mull". It is my pleasure to share this recipe with you. Hope you will give it consideration.[p]
Brunswick Stew (Mull)[p]This recipe is a regional variation (Oglethorpe County, Georgia) of what is commonly known as Brunswick Stew. Traditionally, it is served as a side dish to a pit cooked (in ground over coals) whole hog. Although Brunswick stew is sometimes regionally referred to as Mull, a true Mull consists of snapping turtles, that pesky rooster, poached turkey, an annoying goat, the garden eating deer, and other varmints with or in lieu of the regular meats listed below.[p]2 lbs. BBQ Pork butt smoked
2 lbs. brisket
2 lbs. grilled chicken
5 ea. large yellow onions
4 ea. 14 oz bags frozen white corn
2 ea. cans of Rotel (more or additional jalapenos if desired)
1 ea. 102 oz. can of whole tomatoes
Black pepper, salt and cayenne pepper to taste[p]In a 16” Dutch oven:[p] sauté chopped onions till golden.
 Grind refrigerated meat (grinds better) with coarse grinder and add to Dutch oven
 Grind two bags of partially thawed corn and add with remaining two bags to Dutch oven
 Grind Rotel and whole canned tomatoes, add with all juice to Dutch oven
 Add two small cans of tomato sauce to Dutch oven
 Season with black pepper, salt, and cayenne pepper.[p]Cook in oven with lid off at 300* stirring occasionally to blend for two or three hours. My preference is to place Dutch oven in a #7 K. If done in a BGE a 14” Dutch oven (slightly reduce recipe) might be a better choice for good air distribution.

Comments

• Grumpa
    Grumpa Posts: 861
    Options
    djm5x9,[p]Ah Ha...I knew you was holding out on us :~)[p]Thanks for the recipe and I plan on trying it when the weather improves. It has the look and feel of the ingredients I too remember when growing up. I'll give you my comments after I've tried it.[p]Again, Many Thanks!

• King-O-Coals
    Options
    djm5x9, I just printed that recipe. I have a stack from Dr. Chicken and now yours. I am going to add them to my recipe book if the weather will ever turn bad enough to drive me from my egg.. Stews, gumbos, jumbalyas, and gravies are my favorites. I will email you when I try yours..