Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Just got a free FitBit Flex: TME/add me?

Options
FanOfFanboys
FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
edited February 2015 in Off Topic
So back in Nov/Dec work required everyone to go to their doctor for a health checkup, have blood sent off to be tested, etc. Anyone who did not participate was told they would be charged $60 by the company. Fast forward to today. 
Get an email from HR saying everyone who participated gets a free FitBit Flex and those who did not participate do not and will have the $60 come out of next paycheck. Well, I participated.
They just gave us the FitBit. I downloaded the FitBit app. Already have My Fitness Pal so that way can sync/track friends who use a different device like the Jawbone. 
I will not be tracking food intake. I currently use a different app for water intake but can easily just use this one for simplicity. 
Any tips or god info to know? Anyone use one regularly? How accurate? Even if not super accurate do you feel like you take a few more steps a day as result? How long have you had? And anyone want to be my buddy on the FitBit app? I promise to taunt you every day I do more steps 
Boom

Comments

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,087
    Options
    Main thing I have found is it tracks arm motions. Walk with things in your hand it doesn't track real well. I have also had some issues on the treadmill.

In general I like it and am happy with its accuracy. I'm on my second one. First one lasted about three years.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • SaltySam
    SaltySam Posts: 887
    Options
    First off, Great to see you back here, man! You were pretty quiet for a while there.

Second, your job sounds pretty sweet...last week a trip to Jamaica, this week a FitBit. Are they hiring?

:D

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

• FanOfFanboys
    Options
    SaltySam said:

First off, Great to see you back here, man! You were pretty quiet for a while there.

Second, your job sounds pretty sweet...last week a trip to Jamaica, this week a FitBit. Are they hiring?

:D

Ha it is an incredible company. I got lucky getting hired. And we are but not in Nebraska haha

Man, I also got the cutting board and the knife in I ordered. So. Freaking. Sweet. That knife is going to make it hard for me to buy another chef knife ever. 
    Boom
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    I'm looking forward to your thoughts on this. I'm about to start running so I might look at one of these. How is my fitness pal? I'm thinking about using RunKeeper since it tracks biking too.
  • Scott805
    Scott805 Posts: 349
    Options
    I am using the Jawbone Up24 and love it!  Mine has a calibration button so I took it to the tract. Pretty accurate. 

Large BGE, 2 Tier Adjustable Swing Rack System, three (3) bricks from Home Depot for raised direct, Blackstone 22" Griddle - Finally have a decent cooking area!

Dallas, TX

• SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    Microsoft Band here, works great! Calibrated mine against my other GPS workout watch for heart rate etc....its spot on.
    Seattle, WA
  • HendersonTRKing
    Options
    I used a fitbit -- flex and force -- extensively for about a year.  Interface through the fitbit dashboard, myfitnesspal and a fitbit avia scale.  Absolutely loved it, particularly the fitbit dashboard and the automatic links/updates from myfitnesspal.

It was easy to use, incredibly motivating and very effective.  UNTIL . . . (bum-bum-BUM) friends who also used the force started to get rashes and burns on their wrists.  There never was a good explanation of the cause -- lots of speculation and theories, from nickel allergies to leaking substances -- but nothing conclusive.  Fitbit did a terrible job with the PR and, before I succumbed to the same fate, I sent my gear back for a refund.  They were great about refunding me, even when out of the warranty period, but I got in before the brush fire really started.  

The fitbit forum was just ok.  Nothing like this.  Very helpful for pix of people's rashes, though.  And some were really, really nasty.  But the device was awesome (except for the peeling, melting, burning skin).  Lost a ton of weight, was very mindful of calories in, calories out -- the whole thing was helpful in changing lifestyle and habits, mostly because there was so much good data in front of me all the time.

Recently, I took a look at getting the newest model -- the Surge, which seem pretty cool -- but it's $250, which is an amount I don't take lightly (unless it's for egg-related items).  

I miss the fitbit a whole bunch.  But I'm glad I didn't get that rash/burn.
    It's a 302 thing . . .