Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wifi range question about controllers

caliking
caliking Posts: 18,727
edited February 2015 in EggHead Forum

I’m on the fence about whether to get the Stoker or the
CyberQ. Initially I thought the Stoker was the way to go since I could
potentially run multiple cookers with it, but the CyberQ has that capability
too, if a splitter is used. I could potentially run the large and small eggs,
as well as have the option to run my drum smokers with it ( I really doubt I
would run all of them at the same time). The CyberQ would be cheaper by a fair
bit since it comes with 3 food probes and 1 pit probe – I figured I can use 2
food probes in the second cooker (1 as a food probe, 1 as a pit probe) if
running 2 cookers at the same time. I already have the BQ guru egg adapters for
the small and large eggs, plus I think I can get a 20% discount the next time
my dealer has a sale. Of course I would need 2 fans. Most folks seem to think
that either system would be a good choice, and I can’t see any major
differences in how the 2 systems function.

Which brings me to my question about wifi range. I get about
10 MBps down where my eggs are located. The Stoker has an external antenna,
which I assume gives it better range, even more if the antenna is swapped for a
high gain antenna. The CyberQ has an internal antenna.

• Does anyone who owns either system have any
    issues with range? I would like to use both ad-hoc and infrastructure modes, as
    needed.

• Am I wrong to assume that a CyberQ food probe
    could be used as a pit probe, if a splitter is used and its plugged into the
    appropriate spot on the controller?

• Am I making any wrong assumptions here?

Any tips or recommendations would greatly appreciated!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.

Comments

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    No takers, bump.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    The CyberQ splitter does not allow it to operate independent pits. It is for smokers that have 2 air inlets that should be stoked concurrently.

As far as the range questions, no experience there.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • caliking
    Thanks @DMW. The Stoker it is then. End of discussion.

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    edited February 2015
    Just to clarify, BBQ Guru did have a version of the CyberQ that could run a max of 2 pits concurrently.

No network connectivity, USB only.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    I bought a WiFi range extender for $20 bucks, I wouldn't make that the decision criteria. They should even support ad hoc networking, or in that case, a standalone WiFi network with no uplink/Internet connectivity.

I went through similar churn...then I built my own. I recommend to take a browse on the heater meter pages on tvwbb, find the github, there are (complicated, but possible) mods for 2 pits, etc. Not only was it a fun diy project, I think it's the best controller out there. (Definitely supports ad hoc networks too, you can even make it a WiFi ap! )

If you are not up for soldering, there are a few very dedicated guys on that board, they would build one for you.
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • BigWader
    BigWader Posts: 673

I have a cyber q and question the wifi range capability... I've had connection issues from my BGE - into the router in the house...

BGE on patio to laundry room (20') + Laundry room (10') + Hallway (5') + Office (10') = 45'

So I've had the cyber q drop from my network within 45'.  I upgraded my router when I got it since I couldn't make infrastructure mode work with my bell modem so I know that isn't the problem.

I would consider the stoker for you since I've seen pics of your pool area... you have much farther to go than I do.

Toronto, Canada

Large BGE, Small BGE

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    With Stoker I'm often doing other things around the property and I'm still able to monitor with the APP or Stoker log. Haven't had the issue of losing connectivity. The egg and Stoker are roughly 150' away from the router with a lot of obstruction noise (bushes, screened lanai, walls etc) and no issue with it. Not to mention the Stoker comes standard with 6 ports which can be expanded. So realistically straight out of the box you can control two separate pits independently (of course you need the blowers, blower adaptors, pit and food probes ;) ). It's a great product IMHO.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • My cyberQ wifi range sucks in ad hoc. I would buy a stoker if I had it to do over. Only had one egg when I got my CyberQ. Now I have 2...

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • I've always have liked the CyberQ, but the new Stroker Wifi is the bomb.  I would trade up....

BTW, if anyone is having WIFI range issues and wants to extend their range, I have two of these on two different properties, they work great!!!  And they are outdoor approved!

I have a very hard time engaging in passive relaxation. Twitter.Instagram.
    Dallas, TX

• caliking

OK, I'm pretty sure I'm getting a Stoker now. Thanks @BigWader, @NPHuskerFL, Cen-Tex.

@sumoconnell - don't drive the stake in my heart any deeper! I started collecting info and some parts for a heatermeter build in 2012. The soldering seemed daunting and so I held off. Now I don't have the time for a project like that. Would have loved it though.

@TheShaytoon - I think I get good signal now, after getting rid of a cordless phone system and a baby monitor that was screwing things up , and buying an Amped Wireless REC10

http://www.amazon.com/Amped-Wireless-Compact-Extender-REC10/dp/B00BWLL9N8/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1423266805&sr=8-2&keywords=amped+wireless

Has been working pretty well for a year or so. But I like that the one you posted is outdoor-proof. I may consider it if I need better coverage outside.

• mahenryak
    mahenryak Posts: 1,324

With Stoker I'm often doing other things around the property and I'm still able to monitor with the APP or Stoker log. Haven't had the issue of losing connectivity. The egg and Stoker are roughly 150' away from the router with a lot of obstruction noise (bushes, screened lanai, walls etc) and no issue with it. Not to mention the Stoker comes standard with 6 ports which can be expanded. So realistically straight out of the box you can control two separate pits independently (of course you need the blowers, blower adaptors, pit and food probes ;) ). It's a great product IMHO.

My sentiments, exactly.  No problems with wi-fi using Stoker.  Great product.
    LG BGE, KJ Jr, Smokin Bros. Premier 36 and Pizza Party Bollore