Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dry Brisket

Options
BigGreek
BigGreek Posts: 23
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I did my first lo-n-slow brisket this weekend w/ mixed results. Great flavor (thanks to Cowlick), but very dry inside. Egg temp ranged from about 225-245. It took me about 16.5 hrs to reach the 180's internal temp which I monitered with a Maverick. Is it possible my BGE dome thermometer isn't calibrated properly? Any advice on the problem? Any suggestions for next time? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Howdy Big Greek,
    Sounds like your cook went really well. There are several things that can affect the final moisture level...one being the actual cut of meat that you had. [p]Just a cupla questions, and maybe we can figger out the problem. Was your brisket extremely tender to the poke when you removed it from the cooker? Did you get some "resting time" wrapped in foil in the cooler??[p]It does not sound like it was overcooked to the point of beng dry....I have a feeling it could have used a bit more time...at least wrapped in the cooler (where it continues to render collagen)...but it is hard to say for sure based on your info. Was it a choice brisket? Plenty of marbling?[p]Better luck next time!
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • BigGreek
    Options
    Nature Boy,[p]I think it was a nice cut of brisket. However, I did not do a cooler rest! Hopefully that is the problem. Thanks for all your help, and the Dizzy Pig/raw sugar rub did come out w/ an excellent flavor! Thanks again.

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Big Greek,
    Yeah, a brisket is kinda like a tightrope act. Since they aren't near as fatty as pork butts, it seems like it is always a touchy issue to try and get all the collagen rendered without forcing the moisture out. Briskets, to me, are really highly dependent on the gelatin from the rendered collagen....and they just don't have the internal fat content to give you the same "cushion" you get with a butt.[p]The cooler rest really does help a lot. Glad the flavors worked forya anyways. Sounds like it is time for another try! Strike while the iron is hot baybee!
    Cheers
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • BajaTom
    BajaTom Posts: 1,269
    Options
    Big Greek,
    The grade of the cut is really important. I've tried both select grade and choice grade in briskets. The choice always comes out more moist and tender. LOL on your next brisket cook. Tom

• jake42
    jake42 Posts: 932
    Options
    Big Greek,
    I usually wrap mine in foil once it reaches about 175 and return it to the Egg until 180 0r 185. Sometime even 190 and it still comes out moist after letting it rest in the cooler for awhile.

• eggor
    eggor Posts: 777
    Options
    Big Greek,[p]Did the new damper get there in time for the cook?

• BigGreek
    Options
    eggor,[p]Lucy did get here in time. Thanks for sending it so quickly. I installed it on Fri. before my big cook but didn't mess around w/ it too much this weekend. I do plan on playing around w/ it sometime this week so I can learn the temp variations per hole. Thanks again!
  • BigGreek
    Options
    Nature Boy,[p]Thank y'all for all the help and advice!
  • Charbon
    Charbon Posts: 222
    Options
    Big Greek, I still haven't made one which didn't turn out like corrigated cardboard. I'll keep trying. As far as temp guage you can put digital thermometer or Maverick probe into dome to check each one out to see if they are correct.

• Big Greek,

Bajatom has a very good point. The select grade of beef has very little flavor or marbeling. Buy a select ribeye and a choice ribeye and cookem, even if they are marbled the same the select grade will have little if no flavor at all. The stores will do a "sale" to get ya!

N'awlins
  • sam
    sam Posts: 21
    Options
    Big Greek,[p]I Not sure how many use this technique (old trick), but when i select a brisket I always fold it to see if both ends touch. I always pick the one that folds the closest but if it touches its going to be the most tender and juicy one of the bunch.
  • Nessmuk
    Nessmuk Posts: 251
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    I understand that brisket tends to be dry. I rank/grade/judge giving point(s) to taste & tenderness vs. a moist product.