Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Why Reverse Sear...

Options
TheShaytoon
TheShaytoon Posts: 420
I love explaining to friends about the RS...I think I am going to keep these pics on the phone just so they can see what I am talking about....

imageimage

I have a very hard time engaging in passive relaxation. Twitter.Instagram.
Dallas, TX

Comments

• Grillmagic
    Grillmagic Posts: 1,600
    Options
    What were the steps to create that beautiful piece of meat! Did you roast indirect at some point?
    Charlotte, Michigan XL BGE
  • Big_Green_Craig
    Options
    Perfect. That looks great!
  • TheShaytoon
    TheShaytoon Posts: 420
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I fill a charcoal chimney with lump, light it, and let it sit for about 15 minutes. 

I dump it in the egg, trying to keep it on one half of the egg.  Essecntioally I want a Hot side, and Not so hot side...

Adjust the vents to something around 275, place the steak on the cool side. Close the dome.

Flip after 5 minutes, check internal temp after 8 minutes and take it off the egg when it hits 100-105. Tent the steak with foil. 

Open the egg's vents to get it to NUKE HOT... (Around 650-750)

Place the steak on the hot side,and sear it for about 60 seconds on each side...

Enjoy.  

I have a very hard time engaging in passive relaxation. Twitter.Instagram.
    Dallas, TX

• cook861
    cook861 Posts: 872
    Options
    nice looking steak i like your split grill there
    Trenton ON 1 mbge for now
  • Grillmagic
    Grillmagic Posts: 1,600
    Options

I fill a charcoal chimney with lump, light it, and let it sit for about 15 minutes. 

I dump it in the egg, trying to keep it on one half of the egg.  Essecntioally I want a Hot side, and Not so hot side...

Adjust the vents to something around 275, place the steak on the cool side. Close the dome.

Flip after 5 minutes, check internal temp after 8 minutes and take it off the egg when it hits 100-105. Tent the steak with foil. 

Open the egg's vents to get it to NUKE HOT... (Around 650-750)

Place the steak on the hot side,and sear it for about 60 seconds on each side...

Enjoy.  
    Thanks, excellent cook!
    Charlotte, Michigan XL BGE
  • Knb
    Knb Posts: 9
    Options
    I did a reverse sear on a flank steak. I tenderized it with a meat tenderizer, marinated it with a carne asada marinate, and carne asada seasoning. I did reverse sear on a Himalayan Salt Block at 350 till internal temp hit 130 then I cheated but through it on my gas grill at about 650-700 for 30 seconds each side. It was delicious and soon juicy.
  • Eggerty
    Eggerty Posts: 220
    Options
    Reverse sear was an enlightening moment my first time using it. It was a rib roast. Turned out fantastic. Edge to edge MR.
    LBGE - Nov/'14
    A Texan residing in Denver, CO.