Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tri Tip Help

Did a 2.5 lb Tri Tip last night T-Rex style. 90 second sear per side @ 700, pulled and let it rest for about 20 minutes to allow the Egg to get down to 350. Cooked indirect to IT of 130. Made sure to slice against the grain and was still rather chewy. Any thoughts where I went wrong? It was Angus beef, so it should have been a good cut. Maybe not? Would love to keep cooking Tri Tips, but at $14 a pound, not sure it's worth it unless I figure it out. Thanks and enjoy the game!!

Craig

Cockeysville, MD

LBGE and a large list of stuff I want

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Brother I'm no tri-tip expert but I have cooked one or two before. Reading your method above looks spot on for medium rare. That said, maybe you prefer your meat a little more on the done side. I actually go a little south of where you pulled. I like to pull in the 115-120 arena. But I do prefer my meat a little on the rare side. Your method looks spot on to me. I can only figure two things. Maybe the meat was labeled wrong and was of poorer quality than advertised or again you prefer meat cooked a little more. The label "Angus" does not always ensure quality in my experience.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    @TCT, got any pics. How thin did you slice it? The thinner the better. And $14.00 per lb. is way too much.
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    edited February 2015
    I cooked one last week for the first time. It was really rare, but I found it chewy as well. Sliced it 1/8-1/4 inch thick. It was tasty, but chewy. The kids complained on the more done cuts as well.
  • TCT
    TCT Posts: 168
    @SGH, @stemc33, @theyolksonyou. Thanks all for the help! As far as the price goes, here in Maryland, that seems to be the going rate. Will look around to see if I can find better. When I said "chewy" I guess sinewey is a better adjective. Would love to figure this out!!

Craig

Cockeysville, MD

• 650 for 3: 15 per side.  pull for 20 minutes until egg is down to 400.  back on until 129.  pull, and rest for 15 minutes.  perfect every time
    2 Large BGE, 1 Small.  
  • TCT
    @maximus1 Thanks!! Will try next time!!

Craig

Cockeysville, MD

• I've never had a trip-tip work out using a hard sear up front, best has always been with a reverse sear (initial cook at 250º until 115-120º internal). Finish as hot as you can get it, slice thin. 

The preferred method does not use the egg, 3 to 4 hours in the SV at 58ºC (137ºF) then a CI or torch sear. Had one this past week that almost fell apart, the smaller the cut, the more tender the final product, IMO. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • anton
    anton Posts: 1,813
    My first guess is the 700 sear? Never heard that done before. We live on these in Ca, the method I use is raised direct, around 350-400F, flip a few times, and with choice Angus, should be rare to medium rare in a half hour. No need for two stage cooking, no need for reverse sear, unless that's what you want. I don't see the need, I get a nice little amount of bark, with a wonderful tender product.
    Better luck on tghe next one.
    :-bd
     Using a MBGE,woo/w stone,livin' in  Hayward California," The Heart Of The Bay "
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    @TCT, maybe you just got a hold of a bad tri tip. Had to look up sinewy, but none my tri trips have ever had that texture. Even when overcooked, they've been tender but just lacked taste. I glanced at your pics and then looked through a few others posts and something just doesn't seem right. I think @SoCalTim cooks a fair share of tri tips. Maybe he has some advice. People are cooking tri tip with all different methods with success, don't give up on this cut. It really is awesome.
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    @TCT - where in MD are you? I never pay more than $12/lb that Wegmans charges. I usually load up at Trader Joes when they have the plain tri tip, they charge $8/lb, which I think is one of the best deals in beef.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Acn said:

@TCT - where in MD are you? I never pay more than $12/lb that Wegmans charges. I usually load up at Trader Joes when they have the plain tri tip, they charge $8/lb, which I think is one of the best deals in beef.

This. I'm in Frederick and never pay more than $11.99/lb(Wegmans)
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    maximus1 said:

650 for 3: 15 per side.  pull for 20 minutes until egg is down to 400.  back on until 129.  pull, and rest for 15 minutes.  perfect every time

^^ This is EXACTLY how i do my tri-tip > only I take the final temp to about 135 or so. Perfect every time.

The tri tip @ my local WalMart runs about $25 dollars for a 2.5 - 3 lb package. It can be bought as low as $10 dollars if you buy it just before they are gonna pull it from the shelf.
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • TCT
    @Acn I live in Cockeysville and bought said Tri Tip @ Wegmans in Hunt Valley.

Craig

Cockeysville, MD

• Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    TCT said:

@Acn I live in Cockeysville and bought said Tri Tip @ Wegmans in Hunt Valley.

Really? I'm in Pikesville and that's the Wegmans I go to as well. It actually just ticked up to $12/lb a few months ago,.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• I'm guessing you simply got a bad piece of tri-tip. I use another method to prepare my tri-tip out here in California, where the price is about $7/ pound. I get the egg up to about 550-600, ten minutes each side, then pull the meat, wrap it in foil, then a towel, and let it sit for 30-45 minutes. Comes out perfect everytime, but I like my tri-tip pretty pink on the inside, barky on the outside. 
  • allsid
    allsid Posts: 492
    This is my proven method for anything thicker than a couple of fingers:

1. always use an immersion probe not a quick read thermometer
    2. raised direct, keeping an eye on it
    3. slowly bring up to 121F
    4. pull your meat-  rest
    Tri tip grain runs three ways so keep an eye on that as well.  The best pre plate prep can be ruined by not minding the grain.

-You will get it, just give it a few weeks and try again :)
    Proud resident of Missoula, MT
    https://www.facebook.com/GrillingMontana
    http://grillingmontana.com
    https://instagram.com/grillingmontana

Check out my book on Kamado cooking called Exclusively Kamado:
    http://bit.ly/kamadobook