Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Timing the Pulled Pork

Options
Stuart
Stuart Posts: 110
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My first attempt at pulled pork was a disappointment, the cut of meat was a significant factor. I'm ready to try again and in reading past accounts from pros (Gfw, etc) I notice a number of close calls with the butt cooking too fast and the chefs almost eating pulled pork for breakfast. [p]As prep for the next cook, what do you do when you have such a situation? Dinner is still a few hours off and the meat hits temp? Or what about the case of wanting to bring the meat (pot luck) to friends for who live a good drive away? How do you best keep the pork at a safe temp and still enjoy the best flavor?[p]Thanks, Stuart

Comments

• KennyG
    KennyG Posts: 949
    Options
    Stuart,[p]When the meat is done and you are still hours and or miles away from consuming it, simply wrap tightly in HD foil and place in your DRY Coleman or Igloo cooler, ice chest, etc and cover with heavy towels or a blanket. It will stay super hot for hours. I generally plan a butt to finish early so that when the guests arrive, I'm not wishing that the Polder would sound off so we can eat.[p]chileside.gif

• Stuart,
    Follow KennyG's advice and you will have no problem. I kept one in a cooler for 4 hours and it came out still hot enough to pull . It was delish.
    Big cat

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Options
    Stuart, I've quit trying to time the event to the finish - My objective is to complete the cook well in advance of dinner - keeping warm for a few hours is no problem and if it's longer, I pull the pork and place the pulled pork in an unsealed plastic bag and nuke it for 5-6 minutes at 30% power before serving - guests never know the difference. The last 8.4 lb that I did resulted in a few quick sandwiches for lunch and the balance was frozen for future enjoyment.[p]BTW - pulled pork for breakfast is great!